Leave your phone behind when you work out!
Watchcast is a new Podcast app designed to take full advantage of the Apple Watch.
- Watchcast lets you transfer podcasts to your watch so you can listen without your phone.
- Listen directly from your watch with bluetooth headphones. Go for a workout and leave your phone behind!
- Podcasts play in the background while you track your workout with your favorite app.
- Progress on a podcast is synced between your phone and watch. Finish your workout before the podcast? Seamlessly resume on your phone where it left off on your watch.
- Use the iOS app to search and subscribe to podcasts from the iTunes Podcast library.
- Subscribed podcasts will update automatically when new episodes are released.
- Configure individual shows to download and sync to your watch automatically.
- Transfers of large files can take several minutes over bluetooth, be patient and plan ahead! I highly recommend using the feature that automatically transfers new episodes to the watch.
- To speed up transfer, make sure to wake the app on your watch a few times.
- The watch face complication is currently available in the smallest sizes. It shows the number of podcasts stored on your watch.
- The app is free to download with all features unlocked. To subscribe to more than two different shows, you will need to complete an in-app purchase. This purchase is good for the life of the app, including all future fixes and improvements.
- I am an avid runner and podcast listener, and as a heavy user of my own app I promise that bugs will be fixed quickly and new features will be added over time.
Fixed a crash that could occur when a podcast finished downloading on the watch
Fixed an issue with transfers not starting on the watch
Ratings and Reviews
Update to previous review below: successful transfer of podcasts to the watch. Still probably a 50% success rate and could be a lot better...no progress bar, doesn't work every time, not sure how long transfers take. But gets a 4 star as this is literally the ONLY app I know of that allows transfer of podcast to the watch.
Previous versions suggest no issues, so will change this review if the issue is fixed...but currently this app does not work to transfer to watch, making it useless for me. Tried multiple times, including plugged in and fully charged...just get a continuous loading circle and transfer never happens.
Nice concept, flaky execution
I tried this app to get podcasts on my Apple Watch for running/cycling. It is well-designed and easy to use, and if it worked, I would really enjoy it. However, after 5 hours of trying over 3 days, I only succeeded in getting 1 podcast on the watch. What worked: start app on Watch, start app on phone, set to sync. Cross fingers and hope it works; if it moves off 0% you might get the podcast on your watch. Mostly, though, you won’t... so cancel and try again. Iphone8+/AW S3 LTE/iOS 11.
If the developer can fix this to work reliably, it would be a great app.
At this point it’s not possible to give more than 2-stars. The app initializes fine, quickly finds and connects to podcasts -but that’s where it ends ....at least with the cast I was syncing. It got to 65% and died. Closed both apps and restarted but this time around it didn’t even start. Clearly this is something that is more related to Apple and given that this is a solid attempt to solve an issue left open by them I would welcome a fix. This has the potential to be a 5-star app if it only worked consistently.
- Brian McBurney
- 3.2 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2017 Brian McBurney
- In-App Purchases
- Full Version $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.