** As seen on USA Today, CBC, CBC Radio, Radio Canada, Huffington Post, LA Times, Water Canada, ABC News, Men's Journal, National Post, and Mashable. **
Swim Guide is a website and smartphone app for iPhone® and iPod touch®. Swim Guide delivers free up-to-date water quality information for over 7,000 beaches, lakes, rivers, and swimming holes in Canada, the U.S., Mexico, the Bahamas, Australia and New Zealand.
Swim Guide provides you with current recreational water quality information for your favourite beaches and swimming holes. Every beach is marked with a Green or Red icon so you know when the water at your favourite beach is clean for swimming and when the water quality is failed to recreational water quality criteria.
As of 2018, Swim Guide is the most popular beach information service in the world, with nearly 2-million all time users.
Finding a beach with clean, swimmable water for you and your family is easy with Swim Guide:
- Find the cleanest closest beaches to you by browsing the map or by searching
- Beach descriptions tell you about amenities, lifeguards, where to park, and everything else you need to know to enjoy a day at the beach.
- Green icon tells you your beach passed water quality tests
- Red icon tells you the water quality failed water quality test
- Date/time stamp tells you when a water quality status was last updated in Swim Guide
- Historical status tells you percentage of time that a beach passed water quality tests in the last year
- Source information section tells you who samples the water at each beach and what recreational water quality guidelines apply
- Discover a wide variety of beaches, ranging from city parks to remote lakes ideal for camping
- Get directions to the beach of your choice
- Bookmark your favourite beaches for easy access
- Use the app to share beaches with your friends and family
- Original descriptions of 7,000 different beaches, so you can learn a bit of history and geography as you explore
Get involved! Use the Swim Guide to report pollution, support your local water organizations, and learn about the issues facing your homewaters.
Swim Guide is the only charity app of its kind, made by Swim Drink Fish Canada (formerly Lake Ontario Waterkeeper).
Visit us online for more info: www.theswimguide.org
Swim Guide has three new features to help get you to the beach this summer.
Our new photo submission feature is part of Swim Guide’s international citizen-science effort to collect data on beaches around the world. When Swim Guide users are at the beach they are in a unique position to take and share a photo, which contributes valuable data on recreational water use, pollution, and real time conditions at beaches.
Use the new Suggest a Beach feature to tell us about a local beach or swimming hole that we've missed. This is a great way to help build the growing database of beaches and raise awareness for your favourite beach. Just submit the form and Swim Guide will do the rest.
You can also follow the prompts on any beach to let us know if you have been there before or if you plan to visit this summer. Your answers will be part of an international survey of beach lovers that will help get more people outside and into nature this summer.
Ratings and Reviews
Not satisfied ☹️☹️☹️
First of this is absolutely for sure pure and utter trash. I payed good money for this and it’s terrible. There’s apparently no beaches in Asia , Europe, Africa, or South America according to this app.
What a great tool to have!
This is a handy little, simple to use app to quickly check the conditions of your local beach or one you plan to be going to on vacation. It provides specific information on the water quality based on the most up to date data available and then feeds it right to your phone!
Water pollution affects most water bodies around the country especially after major storms and discharges. This was a great idea and I commend the Waterkeeper organization for developing this program and for the critical work they do protecting this countries and the worlds waterways. They truly are the voice of the worlds waters!
I have been using this app since it launched in 2011, and each version gets better and better- version 2.20's new features are brilliant- and the corresponding website just received a facelift I see! This is the app I always use to keep me and my family informed about the state of my local water bodies and favourite beaches. I feel better knowing that my family is swimming in safe waters, and whenever I leave Vancouver and travel to Florida, New York or California, I use it regularly to check in on the state of the local waters I visit. Tremendous value!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.