Waze - GPS Navigation, Maps & Social Traffic
By Waze Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Waze is the world's largest community-based traffic and navigation app. Join drivers in your area who share real-time traffic & road info to save time, gas money, and improve daily commuting for all.
Just by driving with Waze open, you're already contributing tons of real-time traffic information to your local community. You can also actively report accidents, police traps and other hazards you see on the road. Get road alerts along your route and find the cheapest gas prices around you shared by the community. Plus, you can add friends, send locations or keep others posted on your arrival time.
- Live routing based on community driven, real-time traffic & road info
- Community reported alerts including accidents, hazards, police traps, road closures, and more
- Turn-by-turn voice guided navigation
- Live maps, consistently edited and updated by Waze community map editors
- Automatic rerouting as conditions change on the road
- Send your ETA & real-time drive to update those you’re meeting
- Learns your frequent destinations, commuting hours, and preferred routes
- Find the cheapest gas station on your route
- Add information on local places and businesses
- Add Facebook friends and sync Contacts
- See friends’ ETA when driving to the same destination
- One tap navigation to Facebook & Calendar events
- Earn points as you contribute road info and climb the ranks in your community
Waze is all about contributing to and benefiting from the common good, so hop on board and get involved!
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. Waze will automatically shut down if you run it in the background and haven't driven for a while.
What's New in Version 4.16.0
- Now, send reports about traffic, accidents and police even when your phone isn’t connected to a cellular network
- Never lose your parked car again. Easily find it by marking your parking spot on the map
- Know ahead of time where you'll be turning. Tap on a specific turn in the Next Turns list to see it on the map
- Other minor bug fixes
It's changed...not in a good way
The app only notifies me of a change in route at the last second, which is unsafe when youre driving at highway speed. The app often doesnt return music to its previous volume so I have to stop the app & restart the route again. A route I always took getting to a relative's house that Waze used to remember (it wasn't the fastest route but it avoided some highways & Waze never chose that route until I had traveled that way a few times) is now forgotten with the last update. The "send the ETA" feature now only works if the person to whom youre sending it is also a Waze member, even if it says it sent it. And there's no progress map anymore, which was a really helpful feature I guess Waze discontinued. Bring that one back--it was really helpful. I sent a map change suggestion b/c the names of 2 cul-de-sacs in my condo development were dropped. Now the cul-de-sacs are named the same name as the main road through the development. I got a note, about 6 months later, saying it would be changed and it was--the cul-de-sacs are now erased from the map and the mapmaker decided to make the main road through the development 1 way, with a cul-de-sac at the end. So, now, all my trips from home start off of the road and the first 1/2 mile is all the way to the no outlet cul-de-sac at the other end of the development, which is in the opposite direction of the development exit.
This app is becoming as annoying as traffic. Lately I have noticed the app updates the routes without notification, and only alerts yet you to the new path at the last minute which I found unsafe at congested freeway speed. If I am listening to music, it either lowers the sound from the background music app and keeps it there, or doesn't do it all, and I can barely hear either Waze or my music; I've had to close Waze and start over, which is unsafe while driving. The "hands free" voice command is so hyper sensitive that it is constantly triggered when the screen of left on, and there is no way I can find to disable it, so you're left shouting at your phone to 'cancel' to remain hands free. Also, it seems that unless someone you share your ETA with is signed up with Waze too, they won't receive the travel alert even if the app pulls their phone number up and check marks the ETA was sent; it used to be a simple web page. And even if you do get a travel alert from someone, you can't see on the map where they are and how they're progressing: this was handy at one time since I have a parent who lives several hours away and is anxious about my arriving home safe.
Great but eats battery
I love this app. I have actually deleted the default Apple Maps app. However, this app is technically always "on" even when the app is closed. The Location Services is always running even when you're sitting on your couch. I understand that Waze uses this to get current speed and basic traffic conditions from users when they're not using the app, but it also means just another service slowly draining our already precious battery time.
My request/suggestion is for a device battery saving option. Currently in iOS location Services, the Waze app only supports two options, "Always" or "Never". I suggest enabling the third option of "While Using" for those of us who don't need 24/7 updating and only need the app to update when traveling.
This third option within iOS still allows for the app to update when in the background and would not change the way Waze operates when the app is actually being used. It would however allow users such as myself to minimize battery drain while not traveling.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Dec 08, 2016
- Version: 4.16.0
- Size: 78.7 MB
- Languages: English, Afrikaans, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: waze
- © Waze Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.