Waze Social GPS, Maps & Traffic
By Waze Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Waze is one of the world's largest community based traffic and navigation apps. Join drivers in your area who share real-time traffic & road info to save time, gas money, and improve daily commuting for all.
Just by driving with Waze open, you're already contributing tons of real-time traffic info to your local community. You can also actively report accidents, police traps and other hazards you see on the road. Get road alerts on your route, and find the lowest gas prices around you with community-shared fuel prices. Plus, Waze makes it fun and simple to meet up and coordinate with friends on the road.
- Live routing based on community driven, real-time traffic & road info
- Community reported alerts including accidents, hazards, police traps, road closures, and more
- Turn-by-turn voice guided navigation
- Live maps, consistently edited and updated by Waze community map editors
- Automatic rerouting as conditions change on the road
- Learns your frequent destinations, commuting hours, and preferred routes
- Find the cheapest gas station on your route
- See friends’ ETA when driving to the same destination
- Send automatic updates on your location & ETA
- One tap navigation to Facebook & Calendar events
- Earn points to climb the ranks in your community as you contribute road info
Waze is all about contributing to and benefiting from the common good, so hop on board and get involved!
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. Waze will automatically shut down if you run it in the background and haven't driven for a while.
What's New in Version 3.8.0
Keeping up with friends and family is easier than ever before! With new & improved features, put an end to those pesky texts and phone calls – “I’m leaving now,” “I’m stuck in traffic,” "Almost there!” – and let Waze do the work for you.
- Find more friends on Waze by adding Contacts
- Send & receive friend requests and manage your friends list
- Get in touch with friends directly from their profiles: Share a drive, call, message or beep beep to say - hello!
- Locations sent between friends are saved on user profiles for future navigation
- New easy-to-use design for sending locations
- Share your drive to let friends & family know you’re on the way
- Redesigned ETA screen includes friends display to easily share your drive
- New icon on ETA tab shows the number of people viewing your shared drive, and expands for overview of activity
- Main menu redesigned to include new Send Location button and Share Drive button in Nav mode
- Waze freezing when performing a search
- General stability improvements
Work in Progress Here
Waze works best when you already know how to get where you're going. Wait, what? Yes, this app is not for those lost or in need of razor sharp directions. Waze is a work in progress and is actualy fun, which was a bonus I was not looking for or counting on when deciding to give Waze another shot (I joined two years ago but found the situation far from even beta status). When using Waze, you get the feeling that you are actually helping build a system which will help people (yourself included) rather than just being a data pool for mobile ads (there are ads in Waze and they are a problem, the major issue being the way ads are currently displayed which is just plain stupid and dangerous). How can Waze still be 4 stars despite often getting you lost and displaying dangerous ads that cover the screen and require the user to interact with the device while driving which flys in the face of the apps UI guidelines for interaction while in motion? Because it's a WIP (work in progress) and it's fun and every now and again, Waze will save your backside with a friendly report from a fellow Waze'r about a traffic cop, a pothole or in my case, last week Waze correctly advised changing lanes, which I did, then ten seconds later, just over the crest of a hill was a car stopped in the right lane of the highway. Thanks to that driver who posted the report and to the Waze nerds for making it happen in real time.
Best app there is, but still needs work
Waze is easily my favorite GPS app, I recommend it to everyone and is the only one I use, but I've become careful with it. My biggest issue is if I should make a wrong turn, the first time I did this it took me 4 miles out to go in a circle. I was in a city I wasn't familiar with and so didn't realize what I had done until I passed the same surface street a second time. Is there anyway we could implement a "make a U turn" or simply route one back to the original street? When I drive long distances I compare Waze with google maps (I only have to make minor tweeks to the Waze directions) but in the end it saves me about 15 minutes and 10 miles. Still not bad. Mostly it's something as simple as taking one surface street to a freeway onramp, or staying on a freeway to get off rather than taking the 7 small streets/turns it's suggesting. I'll take it over google maps (or apple maps) which has put me in entirely incorrect neighborhoods before.
It would also be nice to zoom in to a map. Say or example I'm looking for a stew or restaurant located in a plaza, it makes it easier to see where in said plaza it is, etc. Overall, I love Waze, and I don't think I'll ever give it up, but some minor repairs still need to be made.
Despite that, excellent work!
Waze great but with some issues
I just went on a trip to Orlando FL. Waze worked great for the most part. I was ready to start my trip back home, but wasn't sure which way to go. I knew I was close to a tollway and didn't want to take that so I went to settings and turned on "avoid tollways". When I tell it to go home, the first thing it tells me to do is take the tollway!
So, I spend a few minutes on getting another route. It tells me to go north and take a left at the light and go down a mile or so and then... Get on the tollway. I can't get it to avoid the tollway. Tried a lot of things including, but not limited to, turning the feature on and trying it and then turning it off again. It even tells me that it's a toll. So, I decide to change my destination. It tells me to go this way and that and all I needed to do was make a U-Turn. It definitely needs some work. There were police all over the place being that it was July 3rd. Many wazers online and showing where they all were. If that were the only feature, that would be enough for me.
There was an unmarked police car in a really nice ford. Not sure which model but it was very classy and and it was police. Marked it on the map and my wife explained and it helped a lot of people.