Waze - GPS, Maps & Social Traffic
By Waze Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Waze is the world's largest community-based traffic and navigation app. Join drivers in your area who share real-time traffic & road info to save time, gas money, and improve daily commuting for all.
Just by driving with Waze open, you're already contributing tons of real-time traffic information to your local community. You can also actively report accidents, police traps and other hazards you see on the road. Get road alerts along your route and find the cheapest gas prices around you shared by the community. Plus, you can add friends, send locations or keep others posted on your arrival time.
- Live routing based on community driven, real-time traffic & road info
- Community reported alerts including accidents, hazards, police traps, road closures, and more
- Turn-by-turn voice guided navigation
- Live maps, consistently edited and updated by Waze community map editors
- Automatic rerouting as conditions change on the road
- Send your ETA & real-time drive to update those you’re meeting
- Learns your frequent destinations, commuting hours, and preferred routes
- Find the cheapest gas station on your route
- Add information on local places and businesses
- Add Facebook friends and sync Contacts
- See friends’ ETA when driving to the same destination
- One tap navigation to Facebook & Calendar events
- Earn points as you contribute road info and climb the ranks in your community
Waze is all about contributing to and benefiting from the common good, so hop on board and get involved!
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. Waze will automatically shut down if you run it in the background and haven't driven for a while.
What's New in Version 4.2.0
- Bug fixes and stability improvements
A truly "essential"
If you haven't tried Waze and you are still using your Tom Tom or Magellan, please do yourself a big favor and try this app! If you're using the Google maps app, and noting the traffic information, guess what? It probably came from Waze.
The app offers not just up to date but virtually up to the minute map and traffic information because people just like you are continually contributing to the traffic (and short cut!) information. Because of it's social structure, the more people on Waze, the more current and more accurate the map is. For each destination, it offers alternate routes and each route displays the queue of hazards, traffic delays, police sightings, etc. so you have an idea of what to expect on your journey. If you pick an alternate route and deviate from it so that the route has to be recalculated, the app will jump back to the primary route after the recalculation, which can be frustrating if you aren't expecting it, but that's the only item that I think needs improvement, and I wouldn't call it a bug.
I use this app every day and it is the #1 most valuable app for travel IMHO.
Show Me The Waze
I absolutely love this app. I've used Waze and my Garmin (updated maps) at the same time, and Waze, in my opinion, is much better because I have fellow Wazers out there alerting to road hazards, police sightings, current gas prices, and so forth. Personally, I don't need voice-assisted routing (in most cases); therefore, I mute my Waze app - no alert sounds, etc. Keeping in mind that all apps, programs, etc., have glitches from time to time, the only thing I wish could be done differently is reporting a wrong address. On more than one occasion, I've had Waze direct me to a rural business only to find out that the business is, for example, .5 miles further down the road.
Not a complaint, but it would be nice if we had more "moods" to choose from. Also, I'd like a way to add friends without allowing the app access to Facebook or my contacts.
Great app though. I use it every day for my commute to and from work - the police trap reports are invaluable to me!! I recommend Waze to all my friends.
Watch Out Vehicle Stopped on Shoulder Ahead
If all you like to hear all day long while using this app is "Watch out, vehicle stopped on shoulder ahead" then you will find it useful. I've asked repeatedly to have a setting in options that would turn this specific alert off, so users who could care less about a car sitting in a shoulder up ahead, can continue listening to the radio without interruption every 10 seconds. The unfortunate thing is that app users who want to gain lots of points end up using this function and setting up an alert for everything they see in the shoulder. For some of us who have long commutes each day, this can get extremely irritating and there should be an option to turn the specific alert off. I honestly do not understand why this is even an alert, because a car sitting in the shoulder would not be on the road, and therefore should not be a hazard anyway. If it was ON the road then that would be different.
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Feb 07, 2016
- Version: 4.2.0
- Size: 49.0 MB
- Languages: English, Afrikaans, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: waze
- © Waze Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.