Take the WCVB NewsCenter 5 app with you everywhere you go and be the first to know of breaking news happening in Boston and the surrounding area. Always stay up to date with the latest local news, national, sports, traffic, political, entertainment stories and much more. Download the WCVB NewsCenter 5 app for free today.
Our Local News, Weather and Sports App Features Include:
- Boston breaking news alerts with push notifications
- Live streaming breaking news updates from our WCVB NewsCenter 5 reporters when it happens, where it happens
- Local news submission area for breaking news, news tips and the ability to email your news photos and videos right to our newsroom to be featured on air
- Up to date, current local weather conditions, hourly Boston weather updates, and 7 day forecasts
- Share stories via email or your social media pages
- An interactive radar that lets you zoom in and out to street level and watch storms as they approach. Move the map around to see major weather activity
- Boston weather alerts and updates, Storm Team 5 weather videocasts and more
We update the app regularly to keep things working smoothly for you!
Like us? Give us five stars! Have feedback? Use the in-app contact screen in the menu or send us an email at email@example.com
Ratings and Reviews
Still needs work...lots of work
Okay, so you use this app to get the “local” news, etc., but it’s still not user friendly. I still remember the old app as preferable in many ways, but now we have this. It leaves a lot to be desired.
How many enjoy watching a 30 second ad to see a 20 second video? Not me. I get the 15 second ad, but the big boy news apps let you back out after 15 seconds if the ad is longer. Basically, if I see an ad over 15 seconds, I don’t watch it or the video...lose, lose. And maneuvering is still not very good. If you want to go back, you don’t end up where you started and need to work at finding the articles you were planning to read as next in sequence. If that sounds confusing, it is.
Again, this site gives you the news and weather, but it could be so much better.
First place I look for local news
But I find it infuriating when I can’t find the real news. Weather and sport get top billing, which is great when that is what I want, but the layout seems impossible to work out what is where. It’s a lottery if you can find the interesting news amongst lost dogs or neighbours complaining about each other. How do you find national news, if that’s what you are looking for? And the adverts! I get it, they are providing the cash for supporting the app. But each and every time I click on a video, even if the video crashes and I have to refresh. Some of them are so long as well.
I really want this to be a great app but I find myself getting angry and switching to CNN simply because of the ease and speed of access. Such a shame.
News Items are timely, but . . .
This app always has great, timely news & weather stories. Although some of the other tabs can have stories that are more informative and not necessarily daily, the Entertainment tab should not be one of them. I like checking this app out daily, but more often than not, the Entertainment portion has not been updated in several days.
There are times I start to watch the news on television and see a tease that I am interested in watching, but somehow miss it. I wish every story you broadcast could be easily searched (and found) on the app.
- Hearst Television
- 89.9 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2018, Hearst Stations Inc. on behalf of WCVB-TV
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.