Take the WCVB NewsCenter 5 app with you everywhere you go and be the first to know of breaking news happening in Boston and the surrounding area. Always stay up to date with the latest local news, national, sports, traffic, political, entertainment stories and much more. Download the WCVB NewsCenter 5 app for free today.
Our Local News, Weather and Sports App Features Include:
- Boston breaking news alerts with push notifications
- Live streaming breaking news updates from our WCVB NewsCenter 5 reporters when it happens, where it happens
- Local news submission area for breaking news, news tips and the ability to email your news photos and videos right to our newsroom to be featured on air
- Up to date, current local weather conditions, hourly Boston weather updates, and 7 day forecasts
- Share stories via email or your social media pages
- An interactive radar that lets you zoom in and out to street level and watch storms as they approach. Move the map around to see major weather activity
- Boston weather alerts and updates, Storm Team 5 weather videocasts and more
Simple bug fixes and performance improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Still needs work...lots of work
Okay, so you use this app to get the “local” news, etc., but it’s still not user friendly. I still remember the old app as preferable in many ways, but now we have this. It leaves a lot to be desired.
How many enjoy watching a 30 second ad to see a 20 second video? Not me. I get the 15 second ad, but the big boy news apps let you back out after 15 seconds if the ad is longer. Basically, if I see an ad over 15 seconds, I don’t watch it or the video...lose, lose. And maneuvering is still not very good. If you want to go back, you don’t end up where you started and need to work at finding the articles you were planning to read as next in sequence. If that sounds confusing, it is.
Again, this site gives you the news and weather, but it could be so much better.
I Get It
I get it that you need a source of revenue to support all the IT services needed to do this job. You should encourage your clients to trust WCVB for the choice of ad content instead of using their own ill advised home grown ads. I am familiar with marketing principles and a quiet gentle ad follows the old adage, “you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. A sweet ad is much appreciated with an anytime-exit option. A still ad makes a lasting memory impression.
I suspect that you already get it but your clients don’t. That means you have your sales work cut out for you. Well, go ahead and do a most vital sales job and keep us reluctant viewers.
Miserable experience for just watching live video
First - I love WCVB the *station*. They do a great job and I only watch channel 5 for my TV news.
However - when it comes to watching the live video stream of their news, this app is horrible. If all you want to do is watch the news live, don’t waste your time with this app.
Every time you start the video stream you are subjected to at least one 15 second ad. The worst part? If you switch away to another app then back to the WCVB app, you have to restart the stream - and watch ANOTHER ad - and sometimes you get the same ad you were already forced to watch!!
If that forced advertising wasn’t bad enough, the live stream is unreliable at best. It’s often just going to a black screen for minutes on end, and requires you to exit the stream and restart the stream, with - you guessed it - ANOTHER ad or multiple ads.
I don’t mind watching ads - but for Pete’s sake REMEMBER what ads I’ve already seen and DON’T make me watch any ad again if all I had to do was answer a quick text.
I love you WCVB (the station) but this app is abysmal.
- Hearst Television
- 77.6 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2019, Hearst Stations Inc. on behalf of WCVB-TV
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.