Weather Underground: Forecasts, Interactive Radar, and Weather Alerts
By Weather Underground, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Weather Underground for iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch is your everything weather app. Powered by our network of 100,000+ personal weather stations, this app provides hyper-local forecasts and current conditions, interactive radar, customizable alerts, and much more to ensure you’re always prepared for whatever the weather brings.
• Get current conditions from local weather stations or drop a pin in your neighborhood
• Stay updated with the best weather data including temperature, “feels like”, wind speed
and direction, today’s rain accumulation, humidity, dew point, visibility, and pressure
• Swipe through hour-by-hour and 10-day forecasts including chance of precipitation and daily
• Compare today’s weather with local historical data
• Report local weather and hazards to help your community
• Monitor air quality, UV risk, and local flu outbreaks with the Health tile
• Know when first and last light will happen with the Sunrise/Sunset tile
• View the weather map’s improved layers including weather stations, radar, satellite, heat
map, rain accumulation, crowd reports and more
• Scroll through time with our interactive play-bar for radar and satellite
• Track global storms on the Hurricane and Tropical Storm tile
Get all your weather data at a glance with Weather Underground for Apple Watch. Quickly view current conditions, hourly and 10-day forecasts from local weather stations, and stay ahead of the storm with severe weather alerts and radar.
WIDGETS, ALERTS, & MORE!
• View weather at a glance in your notification center with forecast and radar widgets for iOS 8
• Keep an eye out for extreme weather with severe weather alerts
• Discover real-time weather on webcams around the world
• View stunning weather photos with the WunderPhotos tile
• Access Weather Underground’s wealth of online resources including ski reports,
infographics, scientific discussion and more
• Geek out with the weather radio tile
• Customize your experience with light & dark modes, map types, units and rearrangeable tiles
“Weather Underground combines a slick design with a focus on really useful weather information.” - PC Magazine
“What really helps this weather app stand out is its “hyper-local” data from enthusiast weather stations around the world." - TIME Magazine
About Weather Underground: Founded in 1995 as the first online weather service, Weather Underground supplies weather data solutions to the many of the leading media companies and millions of users across the globe through their mobile apps and website wunderground.com. With over 100,000 personal weather stations worldwide, Weather Underground is able to provide meaningful and reliable weather data to people in real-time. Weather Underground is part of the Weather Company and based in San Francisco, California.
What's New in Version 5.1
• The forecast now tells you when rain or snow is coming within the next 6 hours. Get off that mountain, dock your sailboat, put floaties on grandma, precip’s a’comin!
• We’ve tripled the number of forecast points in the graph. Feast upon the data! FEAST!
• Things that were faster than our Watch app: tortoises, paint drying, growing up. Now, things that are faster than our Watch app: really fast tortoises, super-glue drying, Burning Man ticket sales.
• There’s a new ad. It’s rectangular, two-dimensional, doesn’t bite, and speaks at least 12 different languages. We’d tap that.
• Rearrange the tiles for all your locations at the same time. Or don’t, you’re a winner either way. I am a jelly donut.
• Previously, you might have added a particular weather station, only to find a poser in its place, carefully stroking its evil goatee. Quoth our developers, nevermore.
• Por fin, we squashed bugs... WITH OUR MINDS.
Good features, but...
The layout is not the easiest to get a good overview at a glance. I like the feature of getting conditions from a weather station close to my house rather than only from the NWS station which is many miles away. It's also nice to be able to see what the weather was a couple days ago.
I'm trying to make this my new favorite weather app, but I just like the layout of my TWC Max app so much better. It's much easier to take in. But this WU app has better content. I've been using this for several months now, and still not loving the design. I find that I keep going back to my TWC Max app for the clean layout.
The takeaway for me, this app has better overall content and features, but my TWC Max app (not even available anymore I don't think) is still my go-to app due to simpler, less busy layout. However I definitely love these developers after reading the text of this latest update. Gotta love tech nerds who slip some Poe into their prose.
Best App for travelers, event planners and weather wonks!
If you are looking for an App that can help you prepare for the day, your week ahead, or traveling and booking a trip based on the weather virtually any place in the world? This is the best I've tried.
WU is for weather wonks, not updates. If you want something to glance at to tell you the temp etc right now, use a lock/home screen widget. In the middle is the NOAA Radar Map that has an excellent combo first screen which gives you today, 7 day, and radar map, but doesn't deliver great long term advance, deep or historic data to work with - like what the averages are for say April in Split or SFO.
Only negative on WU is the interface could be a bit better designed for accessing deeper information, but that only would have taken a half star at best away from this otherwise five star App.
It is pretty but less useful at a glance
The new ad does in fact bite. I want the weather, not ads.
This update is a rather bad one. Information that used to fit on one screen is now super-sized and pushes everything else off the screen. It takes much more effort to get the forecast for the day, which was previously available at a glance and now requires multiple taps. I also can't figure out how to get to the radar without going to the main screen and tapping on it. The transitions between parts of the app are very rough. One of my saved locations also got moved to Norway, which also explains the warning in earlier versions that were clearly preposterous for the location. I get 3 of the same weather notifications over half an hour. Radar always shows the last image until you move it. That refreshes it and brings up the current images. One last thing:
Updates should not destroy my preferences.
I've enjoyed this app because it came from people that didn't dumb down the weather. Now we are seeing the fruits of the Weather Channel buy-out. This update told me it doesn't care about my settings and it doesn't care about making weather information easy to access. It has failed at its primary purpose.
One last thing, make a dark version of the splash page. I use the dark theme because I check the app first thing in the morning and the white splash page is harsh.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Weather
- Updated: Aug 04, 2015
- Version: 5.1
- Size: 29.8 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Weather Underground, LLC
- Copyright © 2011-2015 The Weather Channel LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- One year ad-free weather$1.99