Weather Underground: Radar, Forecasts, Satellite Maps, Severe Alerts
By Weather Underground, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
COMMUNITY POWERED WEATHER
The Weather Underground iPhone app provides the world's most accurate hyper-local weather forecasts in addition to interactive radar, satellite maps and severe weather alerts. Powered by our unique community of weather enthusiasts reporting live data from weather stations in their own backyards, this crowd-sourced data generates forecasts targeted to your precise location.
With free push notifications for weather alerts, Weather Underground is your essential app during severe weather events. Our interactive map (WunderMap) displays animated radar and satellite data to track storms, as well as providing specific map presets for tracking hurricanes and wildfires.
WHAT MAKES THIS WEATHER APP DIFFERENT TO OTHERS?
WE FILL IN THE GAPS
- Our 33,000+ personal weather stations report the most localized weather conditions. The data that we collect from our user-owned weather stations fills in the gaps between the airport weather stations that other weather services rely upon to generate forecasts - meaning our data is generated from actual data points in your neighborhood.
INTERACTIVE WEATHER & RADAR MAP
The most interactive weather map (WunderMap) on mobile allows you to select from different weather overlays including current conditions from our personal weather station network, animated radar, satellite, webcams and severe weather. Customize the map by selecting specific data layers or choose from the various map presets such as severe alerts, fire risk, active fires, hurricane and webcams.
- Sky reports let you tell us if the sky conditions we’re reporting are what you're actually observing. If you see something different you can report the conditions you're experiencing for the benefit of other app users.
- Hazard reports allow you to report any hazardous road conditions you experience to help other people in your area.
FREE Severe Weather Alerts Push Notification
Easy SHARING capabilities allow you to share forecasts, maps and alerts with your friends and family.
About Weather Underground
Founded in 1995 as the first online weather service, Weather Underground supplies weather data solutions to the many of the leading media companies and millions of users across the globe through their mobile apps and website wunderground.com. With over 30,000 personal weather stations worldwide, Weather Underground is able to provide meaningful and reliable weather data to people in real-time. Weather Underground is part of the Weather Company and based in San Francisco, California.
- Current conditions from your local weather station include temperature, feels like temperatures, wind speed and direction, humidity, dew point, visibility, pressure, gusts and moon phase
- 10-day Forecasts including text summary
- Hourly Forecasts including sunrise and sunset
- Historical data
- Interactive Map showing all weather stations in your neighborhood with animated radar, satellite, webcams and much more data
- List view of saved Favorite Locations and Recent Searches
- Crowd reporting feature empowers users to verify our data
- Twitter Integration – share weather data straight onto your Twitter handle and follow the latest weather trends on the Wunderground Twitter Feed
- Snow and Winter Sport reports
- Weather commentary from Dr Masters
- National Weather Service Radio
- Video Player
"The bar, as far as weather related apps are concerned, has been raised." –TapCentral.com, December 2011
What's New in Version 3.2
- Customization of the home screen (drag and drop your content tiles to build a tailored experience).
- Hazard Reports: submit reports of hazardous road conditions or view reports by people in your area.
- Share forecasts and maps with your family & friends.
- 64-bit support means even faster load times!
- Minor design tweaks for simpler navigation.
Highly recommend it!!
After trying ALL the other weather apps I was frustrated, why couldn't there be an app that got it right? I liked parts of different apps so I ended up keeping FIVE different ones (NOAA, Weather Channel, Weatherbug, Accuweather, & Yahoo Weather) to get the weather info I needed. Then I found Weather Underground and I loved it. It gave me all the info I wanted and let me arrange the sections around my needs. I love that they offer the audio, video, blog and scientific info if you are interested in going deeper into the subject. I love that the end user can report on current conditions and hazards! What a fabulous way to maintain accuracy! I don't need fancy graphics; tons of different types of radar maps (although this app has that); pretty photos depicting the current conditions; I just want accurate, concise info presented in an organized, user-friendly way. And that is what I got from this app. I was finally able to delete all the other apps taking up precious space on my iPhone. However, there is one thing that I wish the app had, and that is the snowfall predictor that I use from the NOAA Snow Forecast app. It is the only other weather app I will be keeping. As a New Englander, that is the kind of specific and accurate info I need all winter long. If Weather Underground could add that feature it would be worthy of 10 stars!! But it is by far the best overall weather app I have seen. I highly recommend it.
Ruining a good thing?
UPDATE (3.2, 3 stars): They have allowed users to reorganize elements on the home screen, which somewhat reduces the amount of scrolling to get to the features you use most. But there is still too much wasted space; pre-3.0 versions fit the extended forecast on the first screen along with the current conditions and the weather map, and clicking on any day in the extended forecast would bring up that day's hourly forecast.
ORIGINAL (3.0, 2 stars): The previous version of this was, in my opinion, unquestionably the best weather app on the iPhone.A single iPhone screen gave access to the current weather conditions, an extended forecast, and the local weather map -- clicking on the relevant parts of the screen would bring up hourly forecasts for each day in the extended forecast, a full-screen weather map, or more details about the current conditions, but the basics were all there on a single screen. Now they've decided to expand this main view to require 3 screens of scrolling to see the same information. If you enjoy scrolling and don't mind seeing lots of unnecessary detail while you're looking for the basics, this update might be for you. Otherwise, you might want to wait to see if they bring back the one-screen view (at least as an option) in a future update.
Bugs, nws bs forecast used
If I give a crowd report, all my radar settings reset to default EVERY TIME! Also
constantly completely wrong forecast, off by well more than 7 degrees DAILY! Yes u put the option for 'best forecast' vs 'nws' but that changes nothing! The idealized forecast of nws is used for both which is always wrong, literally. For instance we have a winter storm warning for .3" ice then 1" snow yet the forecast calls for sunny and mid 30s. And this has happened for months ever since u took away the best forecast option; Yes u put it back but it's just a facade, a fake button, because clicking between the two does NOT change the numbers at all, anywhere! It's kind of like the forecast is for another city, like Galveston, problem is I'm several hours north where the climate is very different; but the weather station is set on the one a few miles from our house. The only redeeming quality for which i must say I still constantly use this app are the push notification alerts and fantastic maps, but forget about ANY forecast details! I used to think it was cool that it went 10 days out in forecast but when it can't predict the same day forgive me for not trusting this app.
- Category: Weather
- Updated: Feb 13, 2014
- Version: 3.2
- Size: 17.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Weather Underground, LLC
- Copyright © 2013 Weather Underground, Inc
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- One year ad-free weather$1.99