Weather Underground: Forecasts, Interactive Radar, and Weather Alerts
By Weather Underground, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Weather Underground for iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch is your everything weather app. Powered by our network of 100,000+ personal weather stations, this app provides hyper-local forecasts and current conditions, interactive radar, customizable alerts, and much more to ensure you’re always prepared for whatever the weather brings.
• Get current conditions from local weather stations or drop a pin in your neighborhood
• Stay updated with the best weather data including temperature, “feels like”, wind speed
and direction, today’s rain accumulation, humidity, dew point, visibility, and pressure
• Swipe through hour-by-hour and 10-day forecasts including chance of precipitation and daily
• Compare today’s weather with local historical data
• Report local weather and hazards to help your community
• Monitor air quality, UV risk, and local flu outbreaks with the Health tile
• Know when first and last light will happen with the Sunrise/Sunset tile
• View the weather map’s improved layers including weather stations, radar, satellite, heat
map, rain accumulation, crowd reports and more
• Scroll through time with our interactive play-bar for radar and satellite
• Track global storms on the Hurricane and Tropical Storm tile
Get all your weather data at a glance with Weather Underground for Apple Watch. Quickly view current conditions, hourly and 10-day forecasts from local weather stations, and stay ahead of the storm with severe weather alerts and radar.
WIDGETS, ALERTS, & MORE!
• View weather at a glance in your notification center with forecast and radar widgets for iOS 8
• Keep an eye out for extreme weather with severe weather alerts
• Discover real-time weather on webcams around the world
• View stunning weather photos with the WunderPhotos tile
• Access Weather Underground’s wealth of online resources including ski reports,
infographics, scientific discussion and more
• Geek out with the weather radio tile
• Customize your experience with light & dark modes, map types, units and rearrangeable tiles
“Weather Underground combines a slick design with a focus on really useful weather information.” - PC Magazine
“What really helps this weather app stand out is its “hyper-local” data from enthusiast weather stations around the world." - TIME Magazine
About Weather Underground: Founded in 1995 as the first online weather service, Weather Underground supplies weather data solutions to the many of the leading media companies and millions of users across the globe through their mobile apps and website wunderground.com. With over 100,000 personal weather stations worldwide, Weather Underground is able to provide meaningful and reliable weather data to people in real-time. Weather Underground is part of the Weather Company and based in San Francisco, California.
What's New in Version 5.0.1
• The widget graph! The graph is back! The notification center widget can now toggle between graph and sky conditions.
• You can now select the widget's location. Available in Settings->Today Widget.
• If you don't want us to use your current location, neither the app nor the widget will now throw a hissy.
• Overcame the widget's unwillingness to change units.
• Improved in-app purchase migration from previous versions.
• Fixed sign-in issues for users with special characters in their credentials.
• Fixed seven of the top eight crash bugs. The eighth one gives us something to live for.
• Other bug fixes.
Apple Watch updates:
• Added crowd reporting, because your watch is waterproof, your phone is not. Tell us it's raining from your wrist.
• Radar animates now.
• Improvements to loading time and reliability.
• Bug fixes.
Better before latest update
Liked the previous, less pretty version better in terms of functionality. With the new version, previous day rainfall totals are gone, Also, Doppler Radar image is apparently blocked by something tall so a wide, v-shaped swath is blocked from the radar. Radar also loads very slowly even when I’m on wi-fi, sometimes taking up to 2 minutes to load current image when the zoom scale changes. Precipitation forecast is less easy to discern and continuously changes throughout the day, as does the temperature forecast on the high and low end. The App forces a close-by layman weather station on me and will not allow me to use the weather station at the main airport, however many times I try to choose that station only. The novice weather stations must be in the direct sun because the temperature will often show as 10-20 degrees hotter than it actually is. With the rainfall chance and temperature forecast changing throughout the day, the forecast can not be trusted and is pretty useless. It’s too bad that it got all mucked up. I used to really like this app but am moving on to another.
No other report is more accurate
My wife would watch the TV weather reports and I would get mine from different apps on my iPhone. The high temperatures would vary 8° to 12° quite often. She'd usually win, so I kept trying different weather applications that people would suggest. With so many microclimates here in the Bay Area, there is no way one temperature for a city could ever be accurate. FINALLY I found Wunderground. Now I get a report from a weather station less than a mile away.
It's been almost 2 years since I've switched. After a few months of comparisons, my wife gave up the challenge. Now my reports are always accurate. The up-to-the-minute radar is totally impressive. I can be looking at the radar, see where we are and tell my family it will start to rain in a minute or two… AND IT DOES!
Look no further — you couldn't get more accurate than Wunderground.
It is pretty but less useful at a glance
This update is a rather bad one. Information that used to fit on one screen is now super-sized and pushes everything else off the screen. It takes much more effort to get the forecast for the day, which was previously available at a glance and now requires multiple taps. I also can't figure out how to get to the radar without going to the main screen and tapping on it. The transitions between parts of the app are very rough. One of my saved locations also got moved to Norway, which also explains the warning in earlier versions that were clearly preposterous for the location. I get 3 of the same weather notifications over half an hour. Radar always shows the last image until you move it. That refreshes it and brings up the current images. One last thing:
Updates should not destroy my preferences.
I've enjoyed this app because it came from people that didn't dumb down the weather. Now we are seeing the fruits of the Weather Channel buy-out. This update told me it doesn't care about my settings and it doesn't care about making weather information easy to access. It has failed at its primary purpose.
One last thing, make a dark version of the splash page. I use the dark theme because I check the app first thing in the morning and the white splash page is harsh.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Weather
- Updated: May 20, 2015
- Version: 5.0.1
- Size: 44.5 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Weather Underground, LLC
- Copyright © 2011-2015 The Weather Channel LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.
Top In-App Purchases
- One year ad-free weather$1.99