Weather Underground: Radar, Forecasts, Satellite Maps, Severe Alerts, Weather Photos
By Weather Underground, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
COMMUNITY POWERED WEATHER
The Weather Underground iPhone app provides the world's most accurate hyper-local weather forecasts in addition to interactive radar, satellite maps, severe weather alerts and widgets. Powered by our unique community of weather enthusiasts reporting live data from weather stations in their own backyards, this crowd-sourced data generates forecasts targeted to your precise location. In addition to viewing and sharing weather data, users can also take and upload photos directly from the app!
With free push notifications for weather alerts and Today widgets for iOS 8, Weather Underground is your essential app during severe weather events. Our interactive map (WunderMap) displays animated radar and satellite data to track storms, as well as providing specific map presets for tracking hurricanes and wildfires.
WHAT MAKES THIS WEATHER APP DIFFERENT TO OTHERS?
WE FILL IN THE GAPS
- Over 100,000 personal weather stations report the most localized weather conditions. The data that we collect from our user-owned weather stations fills in the gaps between the airport weather stations that other weather services rely upon to generate forecasts - meaning our data is generated from actual data points in your neighborhood.
INTERACTIVE WEATHER & RADAR MAP
The most interactive weather map (WunderMap) on mobile allows you to select from different weather overlays including current conditions from our personal weather station network, animated radar, satellite, webcams, user-uploaded photos (WunderPhotos), and severe weather. Customize the map by selecting specific data layers or choose from the various map presets such as severe alerts, fire risk, active fires, hurricane and webcams.
- Sky reports let you tell us if the sky conditions we’re reporting are what you're actually observing. If you see something different you can report the conditions you're experiencing for the benefit of other app users.
- Hazard reports allow you to report any hazardous road conditions you experience to help other people in your area.
FREE Severe Weather Alerts Push Notifications and Today widget with forecasts and radar
Easy SHARING capabilities allow you to share forecasts, maps and alerts with your friends and family.
About Weather Underground
Founded in 1995 as the first online weather service, Weather Underground supplies weather data solutions to the many of the leading media companies and millions of users across the globe through their mobile apps and website wunderground.com. With over 100,000 personal weather stations worldwide, Weather Underground is able to provide meaningful and reliable weather data to people in real-time. Weather Underground is part of the Weather Company and based in San Francisco, California.
- Current conditions from your local weather station include temperature, feels like temperatures, wind speed and direction, humidity, dew point, visibility, pressure, gusts and moon phase
-Hourly and 10-day forecasts including text summary, sunrise and sunset
- Historical data
- Drag, drop or delete content modules to create a customized experience according to your data preferences
- Select between light or dark mode
- Interactive Map showing all weather stations in your neighborhood with animated radar, satellite, webcams and much more data
- List view of saved Favorite Locations and Recent Searches
- Today widgets with forecasts and radar
- Crowd reporting feature empowers users to verify our data
- Twitter Integration – share weather data straight onto your Twitter handle and follow the latest weather trends on the Wunderground Twitter Feed
- Snow and Winter Sport reports
- Weather commentary from Dr Masters
- National Weather Service Radio
- Video Player
"The bar, as far as weather related apps are concerned, has been raised." –TapCentral.com
What's New in Version 4.0.3
* Updated radar palette
Great app overall - not so accurate weather predictor.
The four star rating seen above is mostly for the features this app includes and the price at which they include them (free). You get a little built in widget that lets you track the moon cycle, you get emergency weather alerts that pop up on your lock screen and get your attention, you get (mostly) accurate weather for the next week. This all worked great for me when I first downloaded the app. But recently, the accuracy of any weather prediction besides sunny has been subpar. For example, I checked the weather on Thursday because my bones were creaking up and that normally means it's about to rain within the next three days. It said the weather would be clear until Saturday night, when it would rain. It was wrong. The weather was clear Saturday but it rained all of Sunday. Then I checked again to see if the rain would clear up Monday - it said it would. It started raining this afternoon - Monday afternoon.
Unfortunately this isn't the first time it's been inaccurate. I adore the app itself but I really needed it for accurate weather prediction - which it no longer gives me. I have uninstalled this app and am going back to the ones I used before that were much more accurate. I would suggest looking elsewhere if you need the same thing I do.
Be wary of PWS data
I really want to love this app, and it does have a lot of great data to offer (though I wish it had as many cool graphs and stats as the website).
But here’s the deal: I live in a major Midwest city and my closest weather stations do not provide accurate data, especially in winter time regarding “feels like” or wind-chill data. Clearly, many PWSs are well-shielded areas away from the real elements, as they too often report "feels like” data as identical to the regular temperature: this is really annoying, and I usually have to switch to the two local airports to get a proper idea of wind-chill — something that’s essential to know here in the winter. On any given cold day, every other weather app provides a good indicator of the “feels like” data, but not my local PWS, so I think WU should give us an option to only show “feels like” data from official stations.
In regular weather, or even warm weather, WU is slightly more useful. Clearly, having a huge number of PWS all around the city is great at getting hyperlocal weather and the variety of temperature changes that can exist even within a few blocks of your home, but I’d suggest everyone take PWS data with a large pinch of salt because it’s clear that the data from them is not always vetted for accuracy, and sometimes the good old-fashioned “official” NWS measuring equipment is going to be your best bet.
Weather or not
You like your included weather app? No you don't. Get this, it's the best out there. I've been using weather underground (wunderground) for over a decade, way before smart phone apps existed. The weather channel and others are a joke compared to info and accuracy you get from wunderground. And the app is good as an app too, with good functionality and intuitive usability. It includes a notification panel widget that lets you pull down from top on your home screen to check basic forecast and current conditions. Also, enable notifications on this app. I have been woken by severe weather warnings from this app, and then have my actually weather radio alarm go off AFTER I'm already up and getting the kids to the safe room. It's the best weather app. Period.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Weather
- Updated: Nov 24, 2014
- Version: 4.0.3
- Size: 17.6 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Weather Underground, LLC
- Copyright © 2011-2014 The Weather Channel LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- One year ad-free weather$1.99