Weather Underground: Forecasts, Interactive Radar, and Weather Alerts
By Weather Underground, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Weather Underground for iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch is your everything weather app. Powered by our network of 180,000+ personal weather stations, this app provides hyper-local forecasts and current conditions, interactive radar, customizable alerts, and much more to ensure you’re always prepared for whatever the weather brings.
• Get current conditions from local weather stations or drop a pin in your neighborhood
• Stay updated with the best weather data including temperature, “feels like”, wind speed
and direction, today’s rain accumulation, humidity, dew point, visibility, and pressure
• Swipe through hour-by-hour and 10-day forecasts including chance of precipitation and daily
• Compare today’s weather with local historical data
• Report local weather and hazards to help your community
• Monitor air quality, UV risk, and local flu outbreaks with the Health tile
• Know when first and last light will happen with the Sunrise/Sunset tile
• View the weather map’s improved layers including weather stations, radar, satellite, heat
map, rain accumulation, crowd reports and more
• Scroll through time with our interactive play-bar for radar and satellite
• Track global storms on the Hurricane and Tropical Storm tile
Get all your weather data at a glance with Weather Underground for Apple Watch. Quickly view current conditions, hourly and 10-day forecasts from local weather stations, and stay ahead of the storm with severe weather alerts and radar.
WIDGETS, ALERTS, & MORE!
• View weather at a glance in your notification center with forecast and radar widgets for iOS 8
• Keep an eye out for extreme weather with severe weather alerts
• Discover real-time weather on webcams around the world
• View stunning weather photos with the WunderPhotos tile
• Access Weather Underground’s wealth of online resources including ski reports,
infographics, scientific discussion and more
• Geek out with the weather radio tile
• Customize your experience with light & dark modes, map types, units and rearrangeable tiles
“Weather Underground combines a slick design with a focus on really useful weather information.” - PC Magazine
“What really helps this weather app stand out is its “hyper-local” data from enthusiast weather stations around the world." - TIME Magazine
About Weather Underground: Founded in 1995 as the first online weather service, Weather Underground supplies weather data solutions to the many of the leading media companies and millions of users across the globe through their mobile apps and website wunderground.com. With over 180,000 personal weather stations worldwide, Weather Underground is able to provide meaningful and reliable weather data to people in real-time. Weather Underground is part of the Weather Company and based in San Francisco, California.
What's New in Version 5.6
• Do you live in a subterranean network of tunnels and caves? Do you have a pet naked mole rat? We’ve added a black basemap just for you and your sensitive eyes.
• Some time in the past, we broke wind. Stop blaming the dog, it was us. Now we’ve given the iPad back its wind arrow.
• If you had bold text turned on, our app probably told you that you were going to get 10+ inches of rain per hour. We apologize to those of you who built arks. We *really* apologize to those of you who filled them with animals.
• We fixed the echo in the video tile. Multitrack audio works well for vocalists. Not so much for meteorologists.
• Turns out we hid the nickname button so well that no one used it. Now you can tap a location name to change it to something more meaningful. Popular nicknames include “Home”, “House”, “Home-home”, “G-ma”, and “Fred”. #creativity
• Tinfoil hat mode, engage! Those of you who aren’t using current location can now hide it and simplify your app.
Bad outweighs the good
I like the 10 day forecast, this is my main source for long range curiosities (beyond 7 days). Also the notifications are amazing, they beat all other sources as far as quickness, sometimes they come before NOAA shows it on their site. It drives me insane that when I go to the notification pop up on my screen it doesn't take me to the report, it just takes me to the main wearherunderground page. And I have never been able to read any of the public information statements. The other things like warnings and special weather statements I can eventually navigate to by hitting the red 'I' next to the temperature on the main page, then swiping randomly looking for it amongst many others. Radar is absolutely terrible compared with radarscope; no detail, few frames, it's made for people that simply want to see if it will or won't rain. I do like the weather radio station link and that it works with the screen locked, nice! And I guess I use it sometimes to see temperature/wind at stations nearby. But why is the forecast discussion buried deep in the page? Overall it's difficult to use and most things are bad, but a few nice features keep it on my phone until I can find a replacement.
It is pretty but less useful at a glance
The black map is cool, but when can we have the dark splash screen back?
The new ad does in fact bite. I want the weather, not ads.
This update is a rather bad one. Information that used to fit on one screen is now super-sized and pushes everything else off the screen. It takes much more effort to get the forecast for the day, which was previously available at a glance and now requires multiple taps. I also can't figure out how to get to the radar without going to the main screen and tapping on it. The transitions between parts of the app are very rough. One of my saved locations also got moved to Norway, which also explains the warning in earlier versions that were clearly preposterous for the location. I get 3 of the same weather notifications over half an hour. Radar always shows the last image until you move it. That refreshes it and brings up the current images. One last thing:
Updates should not destroy my preferences.
I've enjoyed this app because it came from people that didn't dumb down the weather. Now we are seeing the fruits of the Weather Channel buy-out. This update told me it doesn't care about my settings and it doesn't care about making weather information easy to access. It has failed at its primary purpose.
One last thing, make a dark version of the splash page. I use the dark theme because I check the app first thing in the morning and the white splash page is harsh.
When I use a Weather app I want to know the percent chance of rain all day long including overnight. This seems to list as a percentage only the chance of rain during the daytime unless you go to the hourly forecast. Also, I would like it if the radar had a longer loop on it. I farm and have used a lot of weather apps and switched to this one from the weather Channel's app because the weather Channel app started including only the percent of rain during the daylight hours. But, I like the weather Channel's radar map better. It seems to have a longer loop on it. The longer loop helps me to look at how the rain is developing and decide if it's going to hit my farm or not and if I need to get out of the field. All in all a pretty good app but could use a few improvements.
- Category: Weather
- Updated: Apr 04, 2016
- Version: 5.6
- Size: 42.7 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Weather Underground, LLC
- Copyright © 2011-2016 The Weather Channel LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- One year ad-free weather$1.99