STOP! If you are looking for Web Reader for the iPad, search for Web Reader HD. It's sold as a separate app.
Web Reader 3.0 for iPhone uses text to speech technology along with web page content recognition to read web pages to you. You can configure web pages to be read as soon as they are loaded, read pages manually after they are loaded, or use Cut, Copy, & Paste to read only sections of text.
Please make sure you are running iPhone OS 7.0 or greater to prevent problems.
See the youtube demonstration here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk0d1npGoq4
Web Reader acts as you're own personal news, book, and content reader. You can adjust the volume and the speed at which web content is read. Web Reader attempts to automatically recognize the language of the web page being read and pick the appropriate voice language for you. You can set a default voice for a particular language so that voice is used for that language.
Use local sync applications like DropBox to download and read text files, HTML pages, MS Word documents, and PDF files.
Note, there is no integration with eBook apps like Kindle. eBooks can be read only if the eBook is available on a Web page such as Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page).
- Fast - Web Reader starts reading quickly and can read long and large web page content without breaks.
- Reads PDF - Web Reader now reads PDF documents. NOTE: Not all PDFs can be read!
- Read Locally Synced Files - When using apps that sync files locally to your device, like DropBox, you can now open those files in Web Reader and have them read to you. File formats supported are: HTML, Text, RTF, Microsoft Word.
- Remote Control Support - Using the devices headset or BlueTooth device, Web Reader can now be paused from those device remote controls. On BlueTooth devices supporting skip forward and skip back, Web Reader will skip forward and back by paragraphs when using those controls.
- Continues Reading When Backgrounded - With iOS 4 and beyond, if your device supports applications running in the background, Web Reader will continue to read while you use other apps.
- Image Block - Load pages faster by turning on image blocking.
- Multiple Languages - Most languages supported by iOS are supported by Web Reader. Higher quality voices for most languages can be downloaded by going to your iOS settings app and navigating to General -> Accessibility -> Speech -> Voices. Select the language you want a higher quality voice for and tap Enhanced Quality. NOTE: Arabic and Asian language support is coming soon.
- Voice Volume - Control the volume of the generated voices from the text to speech engine as well as control the overall volume with the device volume controls.
- Speaking Speed - Control how fast or slow web pages are read to you.
- Start Here - Tap the section of the article or book you want to start reading. Note: when reading PDF files, this is not currently available. When reading PDFs, you are prompted for a page number to start reading.
- Highlight While Reading - Highlight the paragraphs and auto scroll the web page to show you what's being read.
- Auto-Speak - Configure Web Reader to automatically start reading web page content once a page loads. Going back will not re-read the previous page that was already read.
- Launch from Safari - By cutting and pasting a bookmarklet from Web Reader's info page, you can launch Web Reader and have it read the page you are on in Safari.
- Landscape - Works in landscape mode
- Reads While Locked - Web Reader will continue to speak even when the device is locked.
- Stop and Restart - Stop and Restart your last selection by pressing the play button
Devices: iPhone and iPod Touch Second Generation
OS: 7.0 or greater
Languages: Most iOS supported languages. Asian and Arabic are currently not supported.
- Smaller download utilizing iOS built in Text to Speech
- Support for multiple languages
- Bug fix - Web Reader would not read certain web sites
Ratings and Reviews
Can’t understand the voice
The reading voice in English has a strong German accent that is very difficult to understand. I wish I hadn’t purchased it before I tried it. Will be deleting and looking for a better reader.
I like it.
1st of all. This software makes use of the I-phones already existing text to speech software. Pronunciation and grammar errors are due to the lack off ability off that software.
2nd what this software does is target the text on a web page for I-phones already existing text to speech software to read. Considering the differences in the layout of different web pages I am fairly pleased with its abilities. It does however occasionally skip small bits of text.
3rd for those off you who are having trouble making this app work. Are you sure you have properly set up Siri's text to speech? This does require some setup in the I-phones system settings. Have you read this App's setup instructions?
Great app, but ads making it crash
This app is excellent and normally works fine, but now there are video ads that show up and crash the app. If it doesn't get fixed I'm gonna have to delete it and find something else. It's seriously irritating.
- Chris Chauvin
- 2.7 MB
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2009-2015 Chris Chauvin
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.