WebMO allows users to build and view molecules in 3-D, visualize orbitals and symmetry elements, lookup chemical information and properties from external databases, and access state-of-the-art computational chemistry programs.
WebMO is recommended for students and faculty in high school, college, and graduate school who desire mobile access to molecular structures, information, and calculations.
WebMO capabilities include:
- Build molecules by drawing atoms and bonds in a 3-D molecular editor, or by speaking the name (e.g., “aspirin”)
- Optimize structures using VSEPR theory or molecular mechanics
- View Huckel molecular orbitals, electron density, and electrostatic potential
- View point group and symmetry elements of molecules
- Lookup basic molecular information, including IUPAC and common names, stoichiometry, molar mass
- Lookup chemical data from PubChem and ChemSpider
- Lookup experimental and predicted molecular properties from external databases (NIST, Sigma-Aldrich)
- Lookup IR, UV-VIS, NMR, and mass spectra from external databases (NIST, SDBS)
- Capture high-resolution molecular images
- Save and recall molecular structures locally
- Export and import structures via email
WebMO is also a front-end to WebMO servers (version 14 and higher):
- Supports Gaussian, GAMESS, Molpro, MOPAC, NWChem, ORCA, PQS, PSI, Quantum Espresso, VASP, Q-Chem, and Tinker computational chemistry programs
- Submit, monitor, and view calculations
- View formatted tabular data extracted from output files, as well as raw output
- Visualize geometry, partial charges, dipole moment, normal vibrational modes, molecular orbitals, and NMR/IR/UV-VIS spectra
* Corrects a freeze on startup for new installs on some iOS devices
Ratings and Reviews
You do have to pay $4.99 to process molecules with more than 9 atoms, but it’s worth it. As a middle school nerd, it’s fun to play around with. You can send your molecules to an open server to process data about the molecules. You can also search for molecules and import them to edit or calculate data about them! I wish there were more features like proteins, but this app is focused on molecules so it does what it is supposed to. Developers, keep on working on updates! I this so much.
Molecular models are beautiful and easy to create with this app. The models are surprisingly quickly generated on the mobile device or retrieved from the remote server. I teach chemistry at the college level, and will definitely use this in my classroom.
Doesn’t Work Anymore since Update
Hi. I remember getting this app a little while ago, and it worked perfectly. In fact, it was the best molecule app on the App Store. However, after the most recent update (v1.7.2), it recently stopped working altogether. Whenever I open the app, it freezes and is completely unresponsive to anything I try to do. I would greatly appreciate it if this issue was resolved. Thank you.
Thank you for your report. This issue only appears on certain device / iOS combinations. We appear to have identified and fixed the issue. A new release has been submitted to Apple.
- WebMO, LLC
- 19.5 MB
- Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 WebMO, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- WebMO Premium $4.99
- WebMO Premium for paid users Free
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.