Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged
By Paragon Technologie GmbH
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The words you need today from America’s language experts.
For almost 150 years, the Merriam-Webster’s Unabridged has been America's largest, most comprehensive dictionary and perhaps the finest in the world.
Gain access to a legendary resource.
• 476,000 words defined
• 700,000 definitions
• 100,000 quotations
• 143,000 etymologies
• 3,100 pictorial illustrations
• 107,000 verbal illustrations
• 1,100 synonymy paragraphs.
Search and Input features:
• The new Full text search feature allows you to look up words more efficiently.
∙ Enter a query into the input field and dictionary will automatically build a list of entries containing your query, increasing the probability of finding the right definition.
∙ Find precise word definitions containing a number of usage examples.
∙ Because Full text search supports the Morphology module and ‘Did you mean…?’ function, users can be sure that virtually all search queries can be found regardless of misspelling or incorrect word form.
• Easy copy-and-paste functions copy words to the clipboard to get definitions.
• Contextual menu (Browsing, Morphology Module).
• Improved browsing capabilities through word list and Search History.
• List of similar words in case of misspelling.
• Wildcard Search if you are unsure of the exact word spelling. Use “?” and “*” symbols to replace the missing letters.
• Search for anagrams.
• iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c support.
• Enhanced customization options allow you to modify animated menus and choose background colors.
• Enlarge or reduce font size for your comfort.
• Favorites - to quickly access frequently searched words.
• Hyperlinks between articles and directions.
• Landscape-mode support.
• Fully iPad optimized interface.
• No Internet connection required: simply download the dictionary once and use it on your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch without any additional expense.
Merriam Webster joined the Open Dictionary API Alliance, a unique resource providing the access to premium dictionary content for all members of the Alliance. Join us at http://dictionary-api.org and enjoy the opportunity to enrich your apps with a high quality and trusted source of reference from the world’s famous publishers.
Merriam-Webster Inc. acquired the rights to revise and publish Noah Webster’s dictionaries in 1843. Since then, Merriam-Webster has maintained an ongoing commitment to innovation, scholarship, and love of language. Each Merriam-Webster dictionary is the product of extensive research and painstaking writing and editing conducted by the largest group of full-time lexicographers in North America. Today, the company continues as the leader in language reference publishing with bestselling reference books and electronic references, popular Web sites and a range of licensed products.
What's New in Version 3.35
• App icons updated
• Dictionary databases updated
• Improved iOS 7 performance
Content and having it is great. The following improvements would be most welcome: 1. Audio pronunciations, 2. More illustrations, 3. The ability to link this dictionary to iBooks, Kindle, etc under their "define" features.
Overall it's good and has more than the regular dictionary but I really wish it would pronounce the words as well.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Nov 04, 2013
- Version: 3.35
- Size: 95.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Paragon Technologie GmbH
- © 2014 Paragon Software Group
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.