By Tencent Mobile International Limited
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
WeChat, the free messaging & calling app available across all smartphones, is now available for your desktop.
What's New in Version 1.2.2
· Bug fixes.
Its most serious problems are by design.
In theory, this would be a useful app. I could speak to virtually anyone I know in China with it. But I do not like this app at all. This is for two main reasons.
1. Phone authetication is the worst user interface idea ever invented. Must we really do this EVERY SINGLE TIME we log out of our Macs or briefly switch to our phones? Just trust us to use a password like any other website or app.
2. There is no chat history. It goes away every time you log out of the app. For business conversations, this makes it worthless, since you can’t go back and look at what you said last week about this or that project.
Fix these and my opinion might change.
Phone Login for a Mac App?!?!?!?!
My girlfriend is a Chinese international student, and currently she’s spending summer break visiting her family back home. We’ve used WeChat a lot in the past but now that she’s on the other side of the planet it’s one of few remaining links we have with each other. My phone’s recently been havining some trouble charging so I thought I’d get this app in order to keep in touch with her. Boy was I in for a surprise.
Phone login for a Mac app? Doesn’t that completely defeat the purpose? If I wanted to use wechat on my phone I’d be using wechat on my phone. Using wechat on my phone in order to use wechat on my laptop just does not make any sense from a functionality perspective.
Buggy Mac App
I rarely write review for an app on either iOS or Mac App store, unless they are extremely good or terrible. In this case, Wechat is the bad example.
Very buggy. Slow on receiving messages, and once your Mac sleeps and it is hard to get your Wechat reconnected again. Another horrible thing is that sometimes it CANNOT be quited, no matter you click the “quit” botton or use Command+Q. You can only quit this app by using the Force Quit botton.
The iOS version is user-friendly. I sincerely hope Wechat develop team can sometimes take a look at Mac app store reviews and users feedback and make some improvement!
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Aug 18, 2015
- Version: 1.2.2
- Size: 8.0 MB
- Languages: English, Hindi, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Malay, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Tencent Mobile International Limited
- © 2014 Tencent Inc.
Compatibility: OS X 10.7 or later, 64-bit processor