WFMU, the Freeform Station of the Nation, offers a full-service iOS app. Listen to live streams, archives, and podcasts, view playlists and comment on shows in real-time, bookmark and share your favorite songs, download archives for offline listening, and watch WFMU video feeds.
- Tune into WFMU's live stream in stereo (128k) or mono (mobile data friendly 32k) as well as all our additional web-only channels including Give The Drummer Radio, Ichiban Rock 'n' Soul, UbuRadio and Radio Boredcast.
- Listen to archives and podcasts of your favorite shows (new: rewind and fast-forward features), and download them for offline listening (via wifi only).
- Live chat + playlists (Note: not all DJs enable this feature).
- Share or preserve your favorite songs via Twitter, Facebook, e-mail or other social apps on your device.
- Background play.
- Bookmark your favorite songs and purchase them directly from the iTunes store.
- Enable notifications to schedule an alert so you don't miss the next episode of your favorite show on the WFMU stream.
- View WFMU's Twitter feed, Station News, and up-to-date schedule information.
- Rewind live radio. Did you love that last song and want to hear it again? Rewind it without losing track of the live stream.
- Adjustable buffer settings to improve listening over mobile data.
WFMU is a listener-supported, non-commercial radio station broadcasting at 91.1 FM to the greater New York City area. It is currently the longest running freeform radio station in the United States.
WFMU's programming ranges from flat-out uncategorizable strangeness to rock and roll, experimental music, 78 RPM Records, jazz, psychedelia, hip-hop, electronic, hand-cranked wax cylinders, punk rock, gospel, exotica, R&B, radio improvisation, found sound, interviews, spoken word collages, as well as country and western music.
This app was coded by Giacomo Tufano - ilTofa.com
Server powered by KenzoDB (kenzodb.com), by Ken Garson
Fix to favorites page.
Ratings and Reviews
Free Form Spicy Aural Sandwich
A radio station where the DJ’s play whatever their hearts direction takes them. No ads, no hype, listener supported, from Soul to Reggae to Punk to Jazz to spoken word to Hippie Noise to EDM to Industrial Avant Garde to Cult Favorites to Norwegian Death Metal to Polkas to old Country to the noise your spouse makes when he or she catches you doing your secret thing. Plus the App allows you to access their endless archived shows, post to current show’s chat board where often there is real time DJ interaction. Plus they have alternative live streams available to listen if what is currently playing tightens one’s undies. All that and a spicy aural sandwich,... you have nothing to lose and a cosmic musical universe to gain.!
Well developed app, even better radio
From an app perspective, which this is, it's been very well developed and extremely reliable and well laid-out. I've been using this app to stream this radio station consistently, for more than a few years. I can honestly say this app has crashed only maybe once or twice, and the stream never ever unexpectedly loses its stream for any reason, other than reception issues due to my location.
The ability to save shows for later listening is a great idea.
Support free form radio, keep these guys and gals on the air, and if you're feelin groovy check out the rock n soul ichiban stream!
Do it now
WFMU is unique and superior to any other radio station, music service, or corporate entity too currently use. Empirically, in the realist sense.
This is people, mostly volunteers( young, old, and in between who have been on the scene for a long time. They play music the they want to play, not something dictated by an algorithm or some other unknown entity. They take no corporate money of any kind, instead relying solely on donations of listeners.
I learn about new bands and artists from these wonderful people. They are truly one of the real and genuine things left out there in the world of media.
Go ahead and listen. The app works perfectly, is designed as simple and easy to use, and you can listen to any past shows in the archives whenever you want. Support them and donate if you're able.
This station truly makes my life better.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.