This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
WFMU, the Freeform Station of the Nation, offers a full-service iOS app. Listen to live streams, archives, and podcasts, view playlists and comment on shows in real-time, bookmark and share your favorite songs, download archives for offline listening, and watch WFMU video feeds.
- Tune into WFMU's live stream in stereo (128k) or mono (mobile data friendly 32k) as well as all our additional web-only channels including Give The Drummer Radio, Ichiban Rock 'n' Soul, UbuRadio and Radio Boredcast.
- Listen to archives and podcasts of your favorite shows (new: rewind and fast-forward features), and download them for offline listening (via wifi only).
- Live chat + playlists (Note: not all DJs enable this feature).
- Share or preserve your favorite songs via Twitter, Facebook, e-mail or other social apps on your device.
- Background play.
- Bookmark your favorite songs and purchase them directly from the iTunes store.
- Enable notifications to schedule an alert so you don't miss the next episode of your favorite show on the WFMU stream.
- View WFMU's Twitter feed, Station News, and up-to-date schedule information.
- Rewind live radio. Did you love that last song and want to hear it again? Rewind it without losing track of the live stream.
- Adjustable buffer settings to improve listening over mobile data.
WFMU is a listener-supported, non-commercial radio station broadcasting at 91.1 FM to the greater New York City area. It is currently the longest running freeform radio station in the United States.
WFMU's programming ranges from flat-out uncategorizable strangeness to rock and roll, experimental music, 78 RPM Records, jazz, psychedelia, hip-hop, electronic, hand-cranked wax cylinders, punk rock, gospel, exotica, R&B, radio improvisation, found sound, interviews, spoken word collages, as well as country and western music.
This app was coded by Giacomo Tufano - ilTofa.com
Server powered by KenzoDB (kenzodb.com), by Ken Garson
What's New in Version 5.0.1
New feature: schedule an alert for the next episode of your favorite WFMU show.
New user interface: new icon, new colors, new menu layout.
Now compatible with iPad multitasking.
Share song and show options fixed and revamped.
Twitter and station news work again.
Removed volume bar (new iOS requirement) and last.fm integration (wasn't working properly, difficult to fix).
Many minor small fixes and audio library updates.
Well developed app, even better radio
From an app perspective, which this is, it's been very well developed and extremely reliable and well laid-out. I've been using this app to stream this radio station consistently, for more than a few years. I can honestly say this app has crashed only maybe once or twice, and the stream never ever unexpectedly loses its stream for any reason, other than reception issues due to my location.
The ability to save shows for later listening is a great idea.
Support free form radio, keep these guys and gals on the air, and if you're feelin groovy check out the rock n soul ichiban stream!
Actually so great!
The radio station is great. Truly free form local radio. Have loved it for a decade. This app is wonderful, though! Much more than a simple stream! So many options! It's really quite feature packed. It could really be a general platform for Internet radio generally...it's just so good. Live show chat, archived shows, playlist, schedule, sharing, favoriting songs...it's really something else. Yet still simple and well designed!
Another reason to rank FMU as an all time favorite...
This app rocks! It's more than anyone could ask for in terms of enjoying the diverse sounds that sprout from the multi faceted DJs from the esteemed WFMU airwaves. I also love being able to download entire shows to listen to later, viewing playlists, etc, etc. Beats the hell out of listening on any other radio apps.
- Category: Music
- Updated: Jan 27, 2017
- Version: 5.0.1
- Size: 3.8 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: WFMU
- © 2013 Auricle Communications
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.