Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
WFMU, the Freeform Station of the Nation, offers a full-service iOS app. Listen to live streams, archives, and podcasts, view playlists and comment on shows in real-time, bookmark and share your favorite songs, download archives for offline listening, and watch WFMU video feeds.
- Tune into our live stream in stereo (128k) or mono (mobile friendly 32k) as well as all our additional web-only channels including Give The Drummer Radio, Ichiban Rock 'n' Soul, UbuRadio and Radio Boredcast.
- Listen to archives and podcasts of your favorite shows (new: rewind and fast-forward features), and download them for offline listening (via wifi only).
- Live commenting + Playlists (Note: not all DJs enable this feature).
- Share your favorite songs via Twitter, Facebook or e-mail.
- Last.FM scrobbling.
- Background play (via iOS4 for phones that support it or via Safari for older phones).
- Bookmark your favorite songs and purchase them directly from the iTunes store.
- View WFMU's Twitter feed, Station News, and up-to-date schedule information.
- Rewind live radio. Did you love that last song and want to hear it again? Rewind it without losing track of the live stream.
- Adjustable buffer settings to improve mobile listening.
WFMU is a listener-supported, non-commercial radio station broadcasting at 91.1 FM to the greater New York City area. It is currently the longest running freeform radio station in the United States.
WFMU's programming ranges from flat-out uncategorizable strangeness to rock and roll, experimental music, 78 RPM Records, jazz, psychedelia, hip-hop, electronic, hand-cranked wax cylinders, punk rock, gospel, exotica, R&B, radio improvisation, found sound, interviews, spoken word collages, as well as country and western music.
This app was coded by Giacomo Tufano - ilTofa.com
Server powered by KenzoDB (kenzodb.com), by Ken Garson
What's New in Version 4.0.1
Optimized for iPad
WFMU Video Feeds Supported
Submit Videos & Photos
iOS 7 Flat Design
Various bug fixes (Last.fm scrobbling, etc.)
iOS 7.0 or higher required
The last update brought this into the "indispensable" category for me. While having the app was nice, it lacked some of the features of the web experience. As you can also stream FMU through other radio apps (TuneIn, etc.), there wasn't much reason to use this.
Now it's easier to check playlists, view the blog and some other things. These changes help to integrate the feeling of the web experience and make the app, for me, a gem. I am biased though, as FMU is my favorite overall station; simply having a dedicated app is appreciated.
For those of you unfamiliar, please check it out. You won't be disappointed. Shout outs to Michael Shelley, Rex, Joe Belock, Terre T. and Faye for rockin Saturdays, Liz Berg, Fabio, Dave the Spazz, too many to mention. As the slogan went for DC's dear, departed WHFS: "Feast Your Ears."
Great Radio, Great App, One Flaw
I love WFMU, and this app does a great job of letting me listen wherever I am. If you’re considering downloading it, just do it - and then take the time to find your favorite shows.
There is one noxious bug is this delicious ointment however. The Saved Shows often just suddenly shut down during playback. When this happens, I have to reload the show, and try to go back to where I was. This used to happen only occasionally, but now happens every few minutes. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE FIX THIS BUG.
Saved Shows are so great for reducing the hit on my mobile data plan (d/l at home on WiFi), and for playback in mobile dead zones. It’s an awesome, essential feature that just needs to work as it should.
Best radio station, best app
WFMU is a great radio station for music lovers with wanderlust. You can discover new (and old) music and learn obscure facts about artists that you already know and love. And if you don't like what's on at the moment, check out a show from the archive.
The best thing of all is that the music is curated by knowledgable human beings, many of whom are masters of mixing music and sound clips.
This station (and app) will blow your mind one way or another. Try it out, you can't go wrong!
- Category: Music
- Updated: Feb 26, 2014
- Version: 4.0.1
- Size: 3.8 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: WFMU
- © 2013 Auricle Communications
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.