Whalebird is a Mastodon and Pleroma client for desktop application.
- Multiple accounts
- UI like slack
- Many shortcuts
- Prepared some color themes
- User can customize color theme
- Desktop notification
- Streaming update
- Supporting Pleroma
- Add a button to switch websocket for streaming
- Fix cursor position when user types arrow keys on image description
- Fix typo when stop direct messages streaming
- Use same arrow icon for collapse buttons
- Fix stopping streaming in macOS
- Emojify display name in follow notification
Ratings and Reviews
ok app, but many accessibility issues for the blind user
well, it seems like a useful enough application. However, As a totally blind individual dependent on a screen reader, it is very far from reasonably useful. None of the buttons are labeled (including any of the popups) and the text edit field has no screen reader echo feedback. Since I use a mac here (no windows), I can either try to use this app without knowing completely what’s there or try using a browser on the Mastodon site, which is even more nightmarish with too much eye candy going on. The developers need to correct these issues post haste. btw, this is the *ONLY* Mastodon capable app I found on the Apple App Store for desktop and laptop machines. Have a heart fellas! There are many of us blind users out here and all we wish is a little consideration for our needs.
This is a good start for a Mastodon app. Still has some kinks to work out - I ran into bugs trying to view and edit my lists, for example. And custom emoji are not yet displayed or available for tooting. But the overall interface is good. I'm looking forward to seeing where Whalebird goes.
Developer Response ,
Instance custom emojis are displayed in version 2.1.0.
needs work in terms of accessibility
As a visually impaired user I cannot use this app.
1. lack of editing functions when I type. I can't hear my screen reader (voiceover on the mad)
2. most buttons are not labeled at all. the menu is but not much else.
3. the app seems to hang right when I "toot" something. Not cool in my humble opinion.
The app once it gets updated to reflect these changes might be good but for now it is going in file 13.
- Akira Fukushima
- 72.2 MB
- Social Networking
- OS X 10.9.0 or later, 64-bit processor
- English, Amharic, Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Norwegian Bokmål, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Frequent/Intense Profanity or Crude Humor
- Frequent/Intense Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Frequent/Intense Sexual Content or Nudity
- Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © Akira Fukushima
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.