By WhatsApp Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
WhatsApp Messenger is a messaging app available for iPhone and other smartphones. WhatsApp uses your phone’s Internet connection (4G/3G/2G/EDGE or Wi-Fi, as available) to message and call friends and family. Switch from SMS to WhatsApp to send and receive messages, calls, photos, videos, and Voice Messages. First year FREE!* (WhatsApp may charge thereafter, current price is $0.99 USD/year).
WHY USE WHATSAPP:
• NO ADDITIONAL FEES: WhatsApp uses your phone’s Internet connection (4G/3G/2G/EDGE or Wi-Fi, as available) to message and call friends and family, so you don’t have to pay for every message or call.*
• MULTIMEDIA: Send and receive photos, videos, and Voice Messages.
• WHATSAPP CALLING: Call your friends and family using WhatsApp for free, even if they’re in another country. WhatsApp calls use your phone’s Internet connection rather than your cellular plan’s voice minutes.* (Note: you can’t access 911 and other emergency service numbers through WhatsApp).
• GROUP CHAT: Enjoy group chats with your contacts so you can easily stay in touch with your friends or family.
• WHATSAPP WEB: You can also send and receive WhatsApp messages right from your computer’s browser.
• NO INTERNATIONAL CHARGES: There’s no extra charge to send WhatsApp messages internationally. Chat with your friends around the world and avoid international SMS charges.*
• SAY NO TO USERNAMES AND PINS: Why bother having to remember yet another username or PIN? WhatsApp works with your phone number, just like SMS, and integrates seamlessly with your phone’s existing address book.
• ALWAYS LOGGED IN: With WhatsApp, you’re always logged in so you don’t miss messages. No more confusion about whether you’re logged in or logged out.
• QUICKLY CONNECT WITH YOUR CONTACTS: Your address book is used to quickly and easily connect you with your contacts who have WhatsApp so there’s no need to add hard-to-remember usernames.
• OFFLINE MESSAGES: Even if you miss your notifications or turn off your phone, WhatsApp will save your recent messages until the next time you use the app.
• AND MUCH MORE: Share your location, exchange contacts, set custom wallpapers and notification sounds, email chat history, broadcast messages to multiple contacts at once, and more!
*Data charges may apply. Contact your provider for details.
We’re always excited to hear from you! If you have feedback, questions, or concerns, please email us at:
or follow us on twitter:
Note: WhatsApp is a telephony app, so iPod and iPad are not supported devices.
What's New in Version 2.12.6
• Introducing WhatsApp Web: You can now send and receive WhatsApp messages right from your computer’s browser. To get started, open WhatsApp — Settings — WhatsApp Web. (iOS 8.1+)
Not secure. Not private. Better options exist.
Like most, but not all, messaging apps, whatsapp lacks "end to end" encryption on iOS. It only encrypts messages in transit to their servers. What does this mean for users? Well, it means it's possible for the company behind whatsapp (Facebook) to read, monitor, and log messages regardless if they're text or voice messages. It also makes it easier for hackers to do the same. If you care at all about your privacy, stop using whatsapp, and instead use one of the following messaging apps that uses properly implemented end to end encryption by default, where even the company behind the app doesn't have access to users' decryption keys and therefore cannot read/monitor/log messages: iMessage, Signal, Threema, reTXT.
Missing basic features
No self-destruct messages, can't save more than 5 photos/videos at once to camera roll, can't disable group read receipts, stuttering while downloading media, media play interruption once a background media download finishes, after cleaning up chats app still keeps lots of undeletable stuck data, can't clear all media and keep text chats, no iPad support (Telegram has it), no Apple Watch support (Telegram has it), goes paid after 1st year while Telegram and others are free, can't backup only text, swipe for media gallery shortcut removed, can't send/receive regular files (Telegram can), can't view media gallery while offline
Great Except for last update
Great app can message via wifi and without using data. Like everything that gets updated it gets worse. No complaints until last update were they no longer 'allow' preview message for security reasons which is untrue and bs because all phones allow you to choose your notification privacy settings if you did not want preview and most ppl do. So instead of A I give it B+ for that bs lie they told.
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Sep 02, 2015
- Version: 2.12.6
- Size: 49.5 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: WhatsApp Inc.
- © 2015 WhatsApp Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.