WheelMasks is an utility to create harmonic color schemes that will help you improve your paintings and illustrations.
Create a wheel mask by drawing a shape over the color wheel that limits the palette of colors available for your illustration, providing you with an harmonic color scheme.
Unlike traditional palette creation apps, WheelMasks’ palettes are not limited to just a few colors, making it an ideal tool for the digital painter and colorist.
Use a preset mask or create new ones by transforming them or creating them from scratch. There are preset masks for the following color schemes: triad, square, tetradic, complementary, accent, split and analogous.
Configure the color wheel to your liking. Chose how many hues you want, how many levels for each hue and the brightness or, when available, the saturation.
You can see the color definitions, either as RGB values or Hex, in the extended palette view. You can also copy those values to the pasteboard.
A one time In-App purchase enables WheelMasks' full functionality:
- Choose from several color modes for the wheel: RGB, RYB, RYGB and Equiluminant.
- Keep an archive of the wheel masks you've created.
- Send your wheel masks to any image editing app that is capable of opening PNG files or export the swatches as an Adobe Swatch Exchange file or as Procreate's swatches.
All the modes but Equiluminant have three variants:
- Normal: a typical color wheel with saturation or brightness, you can choose, decreasing to the center of the wheel.
- Chroma: a color wheel with decreasing chroma to the center that keeps the same lightness in each hue, with lightness decreasing along the wheel from yellow to its opposite hue.
- Grey: a color wheel with colors converging to a neutral grey at the center.
The Equiluminant mode has two variants, HSLuv and HPLuv. The HSLuv color space is an extension of CIELUV, a color space that attempts perceptual uniformity. The lightness of every hue in the color wheel is perceptually the same, unlike the lightness of other color spaces which varies from hue to hue.
For support, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For news and updates follow WheelMasks on
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/wheelmasks
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/WheelMasks
- Bug fixes and performance improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
This is a very useful app! I would suggest adding being able to precisely set the points by color HEX, however.
Fix the color wheel
The color wheel is wrong. The opposite of blue is orange not yellow. I can’t use this color wheel if the colors are in the wrong spots of the real color wheel
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your review. Orange is the opposite of blue in the RYB color wheel which is one of the color modes you can unlock with the InApp purchase. The default color wheel is the RGB color wheel which as you pointed out has yellow opposite to blue.
What I like best about the myriad of great stuff that WheelMasks can do is create palettes to export to Procreate. I can create several palettes of the selected hues in the configuration I need, using the HUSL Equiluminant setting. I can create the same palette in however many values I want: meaning I have a palette of lights, mid tones, and darks. So I have many darks of the same value to make interesting shadows and get edges to turn. Reproducible hues so they can be found again. Same in mids and lights....like having your pastels laid out in front of you. The colors can be found again. LOVE IT!
- Roger Tallada Solano
- 29.2 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Catalan, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Roger Tallada
- In-App Purchases
- Unlock everything. $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.