By Eduard Schwan
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Are you searching for a good Macintosh puzzle-maker? The solution is right here!
Whirlwind WordSearch helps you make a wide variety of professional word search puzzles from your own word lists, in English or many other languages. Whirlwind WordSearch is perfect for enhancing your classroom study materials, creating customized puzzles for parties or special occasions, spicing up your newsletter or magazine, or publishing your own book of puzzle collections.
Whirlwind WordSearch harnesses powerful features under a simple user interface, letting you create great-looking word search puzzles right away, then unleash the more advanced options to design unique and eye-catching designs to surprise and delight everyone.
Here are some of the features that make Whirlwind WordSearch an outstanding puzzle-generator:
* There are many supported languages/alphabets built-in besides English, so you can create puzzles with words in French, Spanish, Swedish, German, Russian, Japanese (hiragana and katakana), Greek and Sanskrit.
* Easily enter your word lists. Type them in or copy/paste a list from your word processor or the web.
* Choose from a wide variety of unique built-in shapes: Box, Circle, Heart, Diamond, Bow-tie, Pinwheel, X, UL-Wedge, LL-Wedge, UR-Wedge, LR-Wedge, Square-hole, Donut, Checkers, Crescent, Plus Sign, Right-Arrow, Left-Arrow, Up-Arrow, Down-Arrow, Up-Triangle, Down-Triangle, Cross.
* Create puzzles ranging in size from 4-by-4 up to 50-by-50 letters (that's a lot of words!)
* Add "hidden words" into your puzzle but not in the word list or answer key (for adding copyrights or extra credit words.)
* Add an optional “secret message” into your puzzle, which will be inserted between your words as a secondary puzzle to solve.
* Work without a net... You can run Whirlwind WordSearch anywhere… you never need an internet connection to create, save, and print your puzzles.
* Save your puzzle word list files, and open them again later to instantly create whole new puzzles, or share them with other Whirlwind WordSearch users.
* Tailor the display and printing options to suit a variety of audiences and needs.
* Supports Full-Screen mode.
* Includes a comprehensive User Guide that contains tutorials, tips, and explains every option, getting you up-to-speed right away.
* Copy/paste/resize the puzzles and answer keys right into your own newsletters, worksheets, books, or other publications, or print them for handouts, as PDF or as Text.
* A built-in spell-checker alerts you to any misspelled words in your word-list before you print.
* Create puzzles in upper or lower case, serif or sans-serif fonts.
* Whirlwind WordSearch checks your word list for accidentally duplicated words.
* Whirlwind WordSearch thoroughly checks the final puzzle and removes any randomly-generated duplicates of your words.
* Whirlwind WordSearch also removes randomly-generated "naughty" words, in your chosen language!
* Simply increase the difficulty slider from "Very Easy", to "Diabolically Difficult", and Whirlwind WordSearch will add many tricks into the puzzle for you. For example, if you choose an "easy" puzzle, it will only place your words across or down. It will fill the rest of the puzzle with letters that are not in your words, making it easier to find the words. If you choose a harder puzzle, it will automatically start adding your words backwards and on diagonals. It will fill the rest of the puzzle with any letters (or only letters from your word list!) And on the hardest level, it will even sprinkle pieces of your own words into other puzzle locations as visual decoys.
What's New in Version 2.1.1
* Added ability for user to select various Secret Message position options.
* Fixed bug so that Secret Message is now being saved/restored with the puzzle.
* Fixed bug: the currently chosen alphabet/language is now saved/restored if you choose "Remember current settings".
* Hold down the OPTION key when choosing "New" from file menu (English only), and a random set of dictionary words will fill your word list (was a debug feature, now just a mostly hidden feature.)
* Minor wording updates to user guide.
This program is so versatile and so easy to use. It has the best features of all the programs that I have similar to it. It is so worth the money since the quality is sooooooo much better than any free application on the internet. One of my favorite features is the copy/paste. I can copy the puzzle straight from this application into my worksheet or other layout. It even copies without a background so I can flawlessly blend this puzzle into my layout. But I can’t stop bragging till I mention the secret message feature. This was the feature I had been searching for and this developer worked this feature in perfectly. There are so many easy to use options. The lay out is clean and easy to use. Absolutely Perfect!