Wickr - Self-Destructing, Secure, Private, Anonymous Messages & Media
By Wickr, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Internet is forever. Your private communications don´t need to be.
Send self-destructing messages for free to other Wickr users anywhere in the world while leaving no trace.
Send and receive text, photos, videos, voice and pdfs that are:
- CONTROLLED - sender owns the data and decides who sees what, where and for how long
- PRIVATE - only the recipient sees your data, no strangers or servers in between
- PROPERLY ENCRYPTED - we do not have the keys, each message has a new unique key (ECDH521,RSA4096, AES256, TLS)
- BOUND - each message can only be read on the device it was sent to for added security beyond the math
- ANONYMOUS - we require no personal info from you, we collect nothing about you or what you do
- PROXIED - we proxy the IP between the sender and receiver
- NO METADATA - we delete attachment metadata (location, time, identification and edits)
- SHREDDED - Secure File Shredder forensically erases unwanted files you deleted from your device
- COMPLIANT - FIPS140-2, HIPAA, exceeds NSA Suite B Compliance (Top Secret)
- INTEGRATED - send pdfs and images from cloud services
- TESTED - tested by Veracode, Stroz Friedberg at DEF CON, and now NCC
- TRUSTED - advisors include Brian Behlendorf, Whit Diffie, Cory Doctorow, Paul Kocher...
- CREDIBLE - featured in BusinessWeek, CNET, Economist, Forbes, New York Times...
- EASY - takes less than a minute to get started, easier than email
- FREE - save money on texting
Wickr was founded in San Francisco, California by a team of security and privacy experts that believe private communications is a universal human right that is extremely important to a free society. Today, that right is almost nonexistent.
Wickr flips messaging on its head, giving control to the sender instead of the receiver (or servers in between). Wickr is becoming the most trusted communication system in the world by giving power to the people.
Wickr uses AES256 to protect data and ECDH521 for the key exchange. RSA4096 is also used as a backup and for legacy app versions. Wickr also uses multiple rounds of SHA256 for hashing and Transport Layer Security (TLS). Encryption keys are used only once then destroyed by the sender’s phone. Each message is encrypted with its own unique key and no two users can have the same AES256 or ECDH521 keys ever (Enhanced Perfect Forward Secrecy-PFS).
Our servers do not have the decryption keys, only the intended recipient(s) on the intended devices can decrypt the messages.
We have made this app with the best available technology, but strongly encourage you only to send private messages to people you trust.
To get further detail about how the app works, please visit the App link on our website at www.mywickr.com.
Feedback and reviews are much appreciated! email@example.com
What's New in Version 2.1.1
- Fixed a crash some users were experiencing while attempting to send a video on iOS 7.1
This is absolutely amazing. A fast rising star to the top! My new favorite way to message. Facebook messenger and all other apps including iMessage are absolutely inferior to Wickr. I got 10 friends in to it today and we spent the day toying with all the features. These guys thought of everything. Encrypted and deletes metadata. Explode messages on a timer or at will. I'm so effing sold!
Actual level of encryption is a bit unknown, so you have to do a bit of hoping that it's secure. Developer is privacy centered so that bodes well.
Not sure if it would be possible but it would be nice to be able to use the app as some sort of plugin in the standard messaging iPhone app. Either way, it's easy to use and seemingly more secure than iChat.
Easy setup app
The app has a simple user interface and doesn't require difficult configuration. I don't have enough info to test their claims of security but it seems to be reasonably safe to use. The developers documentation is good, and the company is responsive to emails.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Mar 17, 2014
- Version: 2.1.1
- Size: 9.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Wickr, LLC
- © 2013, Wickr Inc
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.