By Adrian Granados
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Scan, monitor, and troubleshoot wireless networks with WiFi Explorer.
Quickly identify channel conflicts, signal overlapping or configuration problems that may be affecting the connectivity and performance of your home, office or enterprise wireless network.
Get an insight into the network details: name (SSID), MAC address (BSSID), device manufacturer, signal strength (RSSI), noise, channel, band, security configuration, supported data rates, 802.11 information elements (IE), and much more.
• Suitable for home, small office, or enterprise networks
• Easy-to-use, intuitive user interface
• Graphical visualization of the Wi-Fi environment
• Supports 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequency bands as well as 20, 40, 80 and 160 MHz channels
• Works with 802.11a/b/g/n/ac networks
• Comprehensive app's help
• Signal quality ratings based on signal-to-noise ratio (SNR)
• Accurate conversion from dBm to percentage (%) for easier analysis and optimization
• Detailed description of information elements (IE) advertised by the access point for advanced troubleshooting
• Export metrics and network details to CSV file format
• Save results for later review and analysis
• Access point name discovery (if supported)
• Editable column for labels or annotations
• Selectable and sortable columns
• Adjustable graph timescales
• Quick filtering
• Customizable colors for easily tracking particular networks
• Full screen mode
Requires a Mac with built-in Wi-Fi. External Wi-Fi adapters are not supported.
What's New in Version 2.0
• Fixes incorrect max. data rates under certain circumstances.
• Fixes incorrect state of Stop button when not scanning.
• Addresses issue caused by certain access points that advertise a secondary channel even though they are set to operate at 20 MHz channel width only.
• Addresses an issue where intermittent 0 dBm RSSI values might be reported by OS X for certain networks.
• Better looks in OS X Yosemite.
• Networks can be quickly filtered by ESSID, PHY mode, radio, vendor or signal strength levels.
• Networks can be grouped by physical radio in Signal Strength and Channels graph.
• Beacon interval and basic rates can now be added as columns.
• DFS channels can be hidden in Channels graph if not being used by any networks.
• Made sure CSV file generated from export option includes all fields.
• Vendors database can now be updated from within the app.
• Other minor bug fixes plus stability and performance improvements.
If you find WiFi Explorer useful and have a couple of minutes, please share your thoughts by leaving a review in the Mac App Store. It will make a huge difference to me!
Found a problem or have a concern? Please visit the WiFi Explorer Support website, or @wifiexplorer on Twitter, and send me a message so we can resolve it.
Good looking app with super functionality
I’ve been using WiFi Explorer for over a year now, and it has proven to be extremely useful. It allows me to walk around a customer site, find dark spots in WiFi coverage, determine locations where channels density is low, and generally provide me with insight into the coverage of the wireless network.
I also appreciate the help files which the app offers, because they help me understand the meanings of some obscure terms and measurements, like dbm.
I highly recommend this app!
The best at what it does
I love this app. It’s so slick and easy. I run in once weekly to see what new wi-fi networks have popped up near to my home. Then I adjust the channcels of my own to reduce intereference. Becuase of this I get great sustained and reliable throughput everywhere in my 2-story house, even with a repeater. Still the best.
Awesome App, Solid updates
This app is amazing. Powerful data collection tool. Powerful troubleshooting tool. Easy use. This latest update includes all fields in the CSV export, which is the only ask I had previously. Pretty stoked about that. Hats off to the dev, solid work here.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: May 01, 2015
- Version: 2.0
- Size: 2.9 MB
- Languages: English, French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Seller: Adrian Granados-Murillo
- © 2012-2015 Adrian Granados
Compatibility: OS X 10.7 or later, 64-bit processor