By Adrian Granados
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Scan, monitor, and troubleshoot wireless networks with WiFi Explorer.
Quickly identify channel conflicts, signal overlapping or configuration problems that may be affecting the connectivity and performance of your home, office or enterprise wireless network.
Get an insight into the network details: name (SSID), MAC address (BSSID), device manufacturer, signal strength (RSSI), noise, channel, band, security configuration, supported data rates, 802.11 information elements (IE), and much more.
• Suitable for home, small office, or enterprise networks
• Easy-to-use, intuitive user interface
• Graphical visualization of the Wi-Fi environment
• Supports 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequency bands as well as 20, 40, 80 and 160 MHz channels
• Works with IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac networks
• Comprehensive app's help
• Signal quality ratings based on signal-to-noise ratio (SNR)
• Accurate conversion from dBm to percentage (%) for easier analysis and optimization
• Detailed description of information elements (IE) advertised by the access point for advanced troubleshooting
• Export metrics and network details to CSV file format
• Save results for later review and analysis
• Access point name discovery (if supported)
• Editable column for labels or annotations
• Selectable and sortable columns
• Adjustable graph timescales
• Quick filtering
• Customizable colors for easily tracking particular networks
• Full screen mode
Requires a Mac with built-in Wi-Fi. External Wi-Fi adapters are not supported.
What's New in Version 1.7.2
• Bug fixes and stability improvements.
• Updated vendors database.
If you find WiFi Explorer useful and have a couple of minutes, please share your thoughts by leaving a review in the Mac App Store. It will make a huge difference to me!
Found a problem or have a concern? Please visit the WiFi Explorer Support website, or @wifiexplorer on Twitter, and send me a message so we can resolve it.
Helped tremendously in apartment building
I had just purchased my Airport Time Capsule and was pretty disapointed with the wifi of the unit after setting it all up. The speeds through ethernet were incredible (I was previously using an Airport express…not gigabit ethernet) but the speeds over wifi were fairly poor. I would get at least 100 mbps down via ethernet but on wifi i would maybe get 50 mbps down. After opening up Wifi Explorer I discovered that even though I had the wifi channel setup to automatic, it chose a channel that had 15 other wifi networks on it. After switching it to a channel that none of my neighbors were using, my wifi speed jumped all the way up to 100 mbps, just like the ethernet speed that I get. Seriously cannot express how happy I am I discovered this app. Well worth the price. Thank you so much for creating this app!
Great little tool, still not perfect on Yosemite
This is an incredibly useful app to see wifi networks in your area and determine what kind of traffic exists in your area. One really underrated feature of this program is how clean the interface is compared to other programs both PC and Mac. After using this one for so long, similar programs just look plain ugly in comparison.
My only complaint is that it’s still got some hiccups in Yosemite, and sometimes crashes on me. It’s definitely much improved (and the developer releases frequent updates to correct issues), so I don’t expect the issues to last too much longer.
All in all, it’s a must-have program for scanning wifi networks.
A Wonderful Utility to Have In Your Arsenal
WiFi Explorer is a great application to have available to take a look at what is going on with and around your WiFi network. It lets you clearly see which channels are being used nearby so that you can select the least used ones for your network to operate on as well as viewing all of the signal strengths of networks in range of your computer. For anybody needing more information about your WiFi network, it’s a must have tool.
It’s also just fun/cool to be able to gather so much information about what is going on with all of the WiFi networks around you and is well worth the price.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Nov 25, 2014
- Version: 1.7.2
- Size: 2.8 MB
- Languages: English, French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Seller: Adrian Granados-Murillo
- © 2012-2014 Adrian Granados
Compatibility: OS X 10.7 or later, 64-bit processor