66% OFF WITH TwoDollarTues! ONE TIME SALE!
Wiki Offline delivers the premium reading experience for the entire corpus of human knowledge. This premiere service is the result of collaboration with over 1000 users just like you. Join the myriad of scientists, teachers, frequent flyers, vacationers, parents, and knowledge lovers whose lives have been improved by Wiki Offline.
Upon launching the app, you will be prompted to download Wikipedia onto your device. EVERY article will be available for you with no internet connection required. It has been meticulously compressed (English is under 3GB) while maintaining all of the data in every single article. (Note that pictures and tables are not included, but can be downloaded from within the app). This download is fully resumable and hosted on high speed servers located around the world.
Wikipedia databases are offered in several different languages: English, Chinese, Italian, Arabic, Czech, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Norwegian, Turkish, Thai, Polish, French, Hungarian, Farsi, Japanese, Hebrew, Korean, Swedish, Danish, and Slovak.
ADDITIONAL DATABASES & UPDATES
Out of the box, each user can download one language database. To accommodate users who have requested multiple databases and the ability to update the database periodically, we have utilized the new Lion In-App Purchase mechanism. Note that this requires OSX Lion 10.7+
For a nominal fee to support bandwidth costs, users can elect to subscribe (via in-app purchase) to additional databases. This one-time purchase per language allows the user to download this additional language on all of their computers that run the app, and gives them the ability to download future updates to this additional purchased language.
- "I've used all of the other competitors and Wiki Offline is by far the best! It's faster, prettier and works better." -- Carl, Principal
- "This app settles arguments for me (I usually win)" -- Arrie, Businessman
- "Wiki Offline on an iPad is the closest thing yet to a real Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy! You have to admit that being able to hold that much knowledge in your hands is amazing." -- John, Software Engineer
- "I can't be the only one who feels like this app should have cost a lot more!. To have it so brilliantly designed with such a touch of elegance makes all the difference in the world. Way to go avocado hills. I love you guys." -- Jean, teacher in Haiti
- No internet connection required (after initial download)
- Real-time search and article loading
- Image gallery
- Supports embedded images and tables in articles
- In-page search
- Full screen viewing for best reading experience
- Bookmarks, full page history, and Table of Contents
- Automatic page redirects
- Customize font and theme
- Fixes for in-article search
- Fixes for in-article navigation
- Fixes for scrolling
- Fixes for new Wikipedia article format
- Fixes for table of contents
Ratings and Reviews
Worth It If You are Offline Often
Using only the English, but frequently since I have no Internet at home, I can say this is a worthwhile compilation of WikiPedia.
Not an expert in the finer points, I was disappointed at first because the pages lacked the hyperlinked, footnoted references, one of the strengths of Wikipedia. However, I learned that (if you are online) for any given page in Wikipedia, under the “Article” menu, you can choose “Update Article," and it will refresh the page with current content (any additions/deletions to the text, along with hyperlinked footnotes, and illustrations). Concerning the illustrations, it opens them up in a simple editing interface (for zooming, rotation, full-screening, and searching). But it’s the footnotes that I value most. At the moment, the only way I know to access the external links is to copy the link and paste it into a browser (but I admit I haven’t researched this).
On the negative side (and this is minor) the left-hand navigation pane is a bit clumsy. Instead of clicking on “History” for example, one must hover over the “History” line and click to “Show” to the right. Minor. In the end, for people like me who are both offline and think Wikipedia one of the best products of the Internet, this is worth purchasing and using.
Handy app when internet is spotty or nonexistent
I often find myself in places with bad or no internet connection so I really enjoy having offline access to wikipedia. The articles have the pictures removed (probably to conserve HD space) but are still very informative and have working hyperlinks between the articles. And if you want the pictures for a specific article you can use Wiki Offline with an internet connection and go to that article. The pictures are saved so you can see them offline after that. My only complaint is that some words and symbols get removed from the text of certain articles so that it can be confusing.
I will change my rate after few monthes.
Update my review and rate:
Now I reduce two more stars from my previous rate. The reason is the desktop is much worse than iOS version. It is elusive for me why the quality of desktop is this worse. The search function is not working properly from time to time. Some of the entries could be easily searched in iOS version, but not on desktop version. I doubt the data management system is not the same as on iOS version.
So I will change my rate to two, as this app is still usable but frequently not works properly. I don’t recommand this app for anyone. If you trully need an offline wiki library, I highly recommand the iOS version.
- Avocado Hills, Inc.
- 4.5 MB
- English, Dutch, French, German, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- ©2013 Avocado Hills
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.