Accessing Wikipedia has never been faster and easier than with Wikipanion, designed for easy, search, navigation and display of Wikipedia entries. Streamline your browsing with history grouped by visit date, and bookmarking that not only bookmarks individual entries, but individual sections within an entry. Featuring intelligent features such as:
- Table of contents browser that knows where you are in the page
- Multiple search methods including Smart completion with entry preview, Google searching and a full text Wikipedia search
- Dual language searching and language switching (hiding languages you don't care about)
- Bookmark, including bookmarking individual sections of pages
- History, grouped by last visit date
- Full in-page searching
- Wiktionary dictionary term looking without leaving the current page
- Table based category browsing
- iCloud syncing
- Image saving to the Photo library
- Ogg vorbis audio playback for dictionary pronunciations and other audio content available on Wikipedia
- Contextual knowledge for sending links to specific sections in a Wikipedia entry
- Easily turn on automatic focusing of the search field on launch
Tip: To scroll to the top of a Wikipedia entry, hit the title bar at the top of the iPhone's screen (this works in Safari too).
Second tip: Click into the search bar to cancel a page load request.
See the Wikipanion web site for more details about all of the available features.
Wikipanion is advertisement free.
- Fixed an issue displaying citations
- Fixed some display issues
Ratings and Reviews
Update 1: This app is so amazing! It is literally easier to use this app than wikipedia itself (and Wikipedia has one of the finest UIs out there)
By the way, I would not use this app half as much if it were not for its spectacular app logo -- it's design perfection makes it no less appealing than the forbidden fruit that just beckons you like a neighboring paradise to want to click on it!
Original: This app is wonderful! I was looking for a quick way to access Wiktionary, and until this app, I had to open chrome, go to wiktionary, then search. Now I can just 3D touch to search directly! From 3 steps to 1 ! And when it has to do with looking a word up, anything to help fight the troublesome burden of inertia is sweeter than the first sips of honey-laced port wine
Thanks for the app
Great functionality but some drawbacks
This is my favorite Wikipedia reader app on the App Store. It feels very simple yet very well rounded. Tables, pictures, external links, etc. all work well. The two main drawbacks is that there isn’t an option for white text on black background and that it can get slow after a while. It seems like every 3 or 4 months, it takes almost half a minute to get the app running at normal speed. So I delete the app and redone load it and it works again. Fixing those two things will bring this up to five stars for sure.
Wikipanion is one of the original Wikipedia apps that has withstood the test of time without being abandoned by its developer. The app contains more functionality than the officially sanctioned Wikipedia and is excellent for its ability to manage links to those topics you can’t read now but want to mark for future reading. An added bonus is it's ability to act as a front-end for other wikis as well.
- Robert Chin
- 7.3 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2009-2016 Robert Chin
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.