By Robert Chin
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Accessing Wikipedia has never been faster and easier than with Wikipanion, designed for easy, search, navigation and display of Wikipedia entries. Streamline your browsing with history grouped by visit date, and bookmarking that not only bookmarks individual entries, but individual sections within an entry. Featuring intelligent features such as:
- Table of contents browser that knows where you are in the page
- Multiple search methods including Smart completion with entry preview, Google searching and a full text Wikipedia search
- Dual language searching and language switching (hiding languages you don't care about)
- Bookmark, including bookmarking individual sections of pages
- History, grouped by last visit date
- Full in-page searching
- Wiktionary dictionary term looking without leaving the current page
- Table based category browsing
- iCloud syncing
- Image saving to the Photo library
- Ogg vorbis audio playback for dictionary pronunciations and other audio content available on Wikipedia
- Contextual knowledge for sending links to specific sections in a Wikipedia entry
- Easily turn on automatic focusing of the search field on launch
Tip: To scroll to the top of a Wikipedia entry, hit the title bar at the top of the iPhone's screen (this works in Safari too).
Second tip: Click into the search bar to cancel a page load request.
See the Wikipanion web site for more details about all of the available features.
Wikipanion is advertisement free.
What's New in Version 1.8.80
- Bug fixes
What happened to the Google search feature?
Without the Google search feature this app is nearly useless to me. I want Google to search for me but Wikipanion to open the wiki page. That's it. The default search is incredibly stunted. Example: If I put in the last names of two boxers who fought each other, the default search is probably not going to point to that bout. I end up having to go to my browser and searching first to find the exact name of the entry.
Constantly gets "stuck" in landscape
App gets stuck in landscape out of nowhere on Iphone 5. Works fine on Ipad Air. Usually happens after a search. Super-irritating, please address.
Update: after the most recent update, now it's even worse. Now it's LOCKED in landscape no matter what, whereas before it would only happen at random or when I went into the table of contents for a particular page. This has been going on too long, I'm giving up and finding another Wikipedia app.
Trouble after 2015 update
It's not working on my iPhone after last update. Some content doesn't load or is delayed.
The “bugs issues” are more prominent now than before. Keep the previous version as it was working with no trouble
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Feb 04, 2015
- Version: 1.8.80
- Size: 5.5 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Ukrainian
- Seller: Robert Chin
- © 2009-2013 Robert Chin
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.