By Wikimedia Foundation
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Explore your world, find a quick fact, or dive down a Wikipedia rabbit hole with the official Wikipedia app for iOS. With more than 40 million articles across nearly 300 languages, your favorite free online encyclopedia is at your fingertips.
NEW: Places - Find Wikipedia articles about places next door or across the globe, with a map and location based search experience. On a trip or your daily commute, with Places it’s easy to learn more about the world around you.
NEW: Appearance controls let you read Wikipedia in comfort, with dark mode, text size control and image dimming to customize how you read.
Explore feed - Discover the depths of Wikipedia through your explore feed, which surfaces Wikipedia articles and captivating freely-licensed photos. The feed is constantly updated and includes:
- recommended articles based on what you’ve already read
- featured articles hand-picked by the Wikipedia community
- daily top read articles
- picture of the day
- events on this day in history
- random articles
- nearby landmarks
Find and search - Easily find what you’re looking for by searching within articles or using Spotlight. You can even search with your favorite emojis!
Quick access - Add Wikipedia to your device's Today screen to pick up exactly where you stopped reading your last article, or see the top-read articles and trends of the day.
Easy touch navigation, including 3D touch - Multi-touch gestures like swipe, tap, and 3D Touch features complete essential tasks more quickly and simply.
Save articles - Save articles for reading later, even when you’re offline.
Multilingual support - Search for and read Wikipedia articles written in any Wikipedia-supported language — there are nearly 300!
Share - Easily share articles, images, and facts from Wikipedia on social media or by email. Or use Handoff to continue reading articles across your iOS devices.
Want to know more behind the scenes of the Wikipedia mobile app for iOS? Check out these resources:
To send feedback, from the app tap:
Settings Gear > Send app feedback
Contribute to our app localizations:
Code at GitHub open source repository:
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is a nonprofit organization that supports and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia projects. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable organization funded mainly through donations. For more information, please visit our website: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Home.
What's New in Version 5.6.1
Small bug fixes and usability improvements, particularly refinements to dark theme.
Also added a new Featured Article widget. Now get the editor selected Featured Article on your iOS Today screen.
For years, I hated how the Wikipedia page looked in my browser. Stark white, black text, made to work with legacy browsers. But this app, combined with iOS’s ability to direct a link to a corresponding app, is awesome. Wikipedia links now open in the app. Which has dark mode. And location-based discovery features. Awesome.
Someday, it’d be cool if Wikipedia could notify you of nearby entries (based on your choices/preferences, of course).
Just what I need
This app is convenient, frugal (because with Wikipedia Zero you often don’t pay data charges), and respectful, meaning that, at least in my experience, it has never veered into a programmed “shortcut” that some programmer thought was a cool idea that everyone would love, but that actually interferes with what I was trying to do. In particular, it is very good at letting you retrace your steps.
This app is a wonderful source of information for people and a great public service experience. I am a retired man who has an interest in our political system, future generations and experiences of human behavior. This app is a great educational tool and a excellent source of knowledge.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Sep 26, 2017
- Version: 5.6.1
- Size: 36.6 MB
- Languages: English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Armenian, Arpitan, Assamese, Asturian, Azerbaijani, Basque, Bengali, Bosnian, Breton, Burmese, Cambodian, Catalan, Central Bikol, Central Kurdish, Chechen, Czech, Danish, Dimli (individual language), Dutch, Esperanto, Faeroese, Finnish, French, Frisian, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Hunsrik, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Karachay-Balkar, Korean, Kölsch, Latvian, Lithuanian, Lower Sorbian, Luxembourgish, Macedonian, Malagasy, Malay, Malayalam, Maltese, Marathi, Nepali, Norwegian Bokmål, Occitan, Oriya, Oromo, Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Rinconada Bikol, Romanian, Russian, Sanskrit, Scots, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Sindhi, Singhalese, Slovak, Spanish, Sudanese, Swahili, Swedish, Tajik, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Upper Sorbian, Urdu, Uzbek, Venetian, Vietnamese, Welsh, Yakut, Yiddish
- Seller: Wikimedia Foundation
- © 2017 Wikimedia Foundation
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.