By Wikimedia Foundation
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Official Wikipedia App for iOS. Wikipedia is the free encyclopedia containing more than 32 million articles in 280 languages, and is the most comprehensive and widely used reference work humans have ever compiled. The app has been rewritten from scratch and is better than ever before.
* Speed, the app is faster than ever.
* Editing both logged in or not.
* Recent pages so you never got lost in the depths of Wikipedia.
* Save pages for offline reading.
* Share articles with others.
* Read articles in a different language.
* Wikipedia Zero, supporting zero-rated access with participating carriers.
The code is 100% open source and community built. If you are a developer and good at Objective-C, then check us out:
What's New in Version 4.0.6
Fix for the total lockup crash sometimes seen when displaying certain massive articles on older versions of iOS / older hardware.
Fix for crash when closing recent/saved during edit mode.
New "recent search terms" interface - appears when you clear search term. Individual items may be swiped to delete, or all items cleared by tapping trash can icon.
Search keyboard "Go" button loads first article in the search results.
Search keyboard appears when search box "x" button tapped.
Search shows new results without "blanking" previous results. Much less jarring visually.
Better "W" menu inter-item spacing on 3.5 inch screens.
Update search box styling to look same on iOS 6, 7 and 8. It was looking funky on iOS 6.
Increased search result and recent item row height a bit.
Nearby vertically aligns image better with title/distance.
Page history cells now resize properly on iOS 8.
Better scaling of nearby results on tablets.
Fixed scale of "Searching..." message on tablets.
Faster and more consistent dynamic table cell height determination on search results, page history, recent, saved pages, nearby and "W" menu items.
Updated networking library to latest version.
Updated the "About the Wikipedia app" page to credit The Specialists Guild testers and fix the feedback link.
A wealth of information on anything and everything
Wow! It's amazing what has been provided here for us all. It's hard to hear some people complain about the app when it's all based on our help and support. I live now on social security and a small pentane compared to what I once had but am grateful to have it and appreciate what is available to me.
One thing is Wiki, I will donate the three dollars a month a widows mite if you will to pay a small share and encourage you all to do the same, give from your heart and my heart says thank you and thanks for no ads as I get enough else where.
Please add "remember position" setting
The app is nice. I really wish, however, that it would remember my positions on pages the way Safari does. Say, I've read half of a very long article and see a link to a word I don't understand, so I select it, read about that for a few seconds for clarity, then go back, the app automatically sticks me at the very top of the page forcing me to swipe up repeatedly and fish for my prior position in order to continue. Imagine doing this 3, 4 or 5 times on a long article.. If you use Wikipedia a lot (like me) you could easily find yourself completely wasting a minute or two every day searching for previous positions on prior pages.
Search option flawed
What good is an encyclopedia that doesn't have a way to look up entries? The search feature has a bug. It's a new thing, because I've loved and used the app for years, but only recently have had problems. You'll enter "John Doe" as a name, press search, and it will go to an article on the name "John." Or if you search something like "Nadine" it will shoot you to a page on the letter "n," and try as you might, even when you go back to the search box and repeatedly press "enter" on the highlighted autocompleted correct search term...back to the article on "n" you will go! Might as well just go back to the website.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Dec 05, 2014
- Version: 4.0.6
- Size: 5.1 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Armenian, Arpitan, Asturian, Avaric, Azerbaijani, Bengali, Breton, Catalan, Central Bikol, Chechen, Czech, Danish, Dimli (individual language), Dutch, Esperanto, Faeroese, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Gujarati, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Hunsrik, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Karachay-Balkar, Korean, Lithuanian, Lower Sorbian, Luxembourgish, Macedonian, Malagasy, Malay, Malayalam, Marathi, Nepali, Occitan, Oriya, Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Rinconada Bikol, Romanian, Russian, Scots, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Singhalese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Tajik, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Upper Sorbian, Vietnamese, Yiddish
- Seller: Wikimedia Foundation
- © Wikimedia Foundation
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.