Wiki Offline — A Wikipedia Experience
By Avocado Hills, Inc.
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
66% OFF WITH TwoDollarTues! ONE TIME SALE!
Wiki Offline delivers the premium reading experience for the entire corpus of human knowledge. This premiere service is the result of collaboration with over 1000 users just like you. Join the myriad of scientists, teachers, frequent flyers, vacationers, parents, and knowledge lovers whose lives have been improved by Wiki Offline.
Upon launching the app, you will be prompted to download Wikipedia onto your device. EVERY article will be available for you with no internet connection required. It has been meticulously compressed (English is under 3GB) while maintaining all of the data in every single article. (Note that pictures and tables are not included, but can be downloaded from within the app). This download is fully resumable and hosted on high speed servers located around the world.
Wikipedia databases are offered in several different languages: English, Chinese, Italian, Arabic, Czech, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Norwegian, Turkish, Thai, Polish, French, Hungarian, Farsi, Japanese, Hebrew, Korean, Swedish, Danish, and Slovak.
ADDITIONAL DATABASES & UPDATES
Out of the box, each user can download one language database. To accommodate users who have requested multiple databases and the ability to update the database periodically, we have utilized the new Lion In-App Purchase mechanism. Note that this requires OSX Lion 10.7+
For a nominal fee to support bandwidth costs, users can elect to subscribe (via in-app purchase) to additional databases. This one-time purchase per language allows the user to download this additional language on all of their computers that run the app, and gives them the ability to download future updates to this additional purchased language.
- "I've used all of the other competitors and Wiki Offline is by far the best! It's faster, prettier and works better." -- Carl, Principal
- "This app settles arguments for me (I usually win)" -- Arrie, Businessman
- "Wiki Offline on an iPad is the closest thing yet to a real Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy! You have to admit that being able to hold that much knowledge in your hands is amazing." -- John, Software Engineer
- "I can't be the only one who feels like this app should have cost a lot more!. To have it so brilliantly designed with such a touch of elegance makes all the difference in the world. Way to go avocado hills. I love you guys." -- Jean, teacher in Haiti
- No internet connection required (after initial download)
- Real-time search and article loading
- Image gallery
- Supports embedded images and tables in articles
- In-page search
- Full screen viewing for best reading experience
- Bookmarks, full page history, and Table of Contents
- Automatic page redirects
- Customize font and theme
What's New in Version 1.74
- Fixes for in-article search
- Fixes for in-article navigation
- Fixes for scrolling
- Fixes for new Wikipedia article format
- Fixes for table of contents
Don’t why someone give 1 star.
I've been using iOS version of Wiki Offline for years, since iPad 1st gen. It is not perfect app from start and it is not perfect until now. But it gets the job done. What do you expect from an app? It is not a game or entertainment app. It is a reference app.
I bought Mac version because I wanted to vacate some space from my iPad. 3.7GB library is always a big problem for 16GB iPad.
Since I bought it, i never experience crash. It works fine just like iOS version. I have to say it is more stable than iOS version. And the integrity of iOS and Mac version is great. I didn't even have to redownload the whole library, instead I just copied them from my iPad, and it is good to go.
Speak of not being perfect, my only complain is that the contents, especially quotes, are incomplete sometime. That is why I give 4 star.
It is not a perfect app, but definitely not a lousy 1 star app. If you have to use offline wiki frequently. I recommend this app.
Great concept, faulty app
Wiki offline is a great idea. It is still too raw, though, in a way that you would expect from a Beta app. It crashes often, cannot locate some articles, and has functions missing.
I could give it 3 stars, but here is 4 in a hopeful mood. I hope it improves as it goes on.
Expensive worthless piece of crap of an app!!
I want my money back!! This app has gone through so many updates, with each one worse than its predecessor!! How is it possible that Apple is not checking the quality of apps that customers pay good money to install on their devices?? Crashes CONSISTENTLY and won't allow the databases to be updated…great job developers and Apple quality control! #sarcasm - I want a REFUND!!!
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Oct 24, 2013
- Version: 1.74
- Size: 4.5 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai
- Seller: Avocado Hills, Inc.
- ©2013 Avocado Hills
Compatibility: OS X 10.7 or later, 64-bit processor
Top In-App Purchases
- English Language$1.99
- Chinese Language$0.99
- Spanish Language$1.99
- Japanese Language$0.99
- German Language$1.99
- French Language$0.99
- Russian Language$0.99
- Arabic Language$0.99
- Korean Language$0.99
- Portuguese Language$0.99