By Wikimedia Foundation
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Explore your world, find a quick fact, or dive down a Wikipedia rabbit hole with the official Wikipedia app for iOS. With more than 40 million articles across nearly 300 languages, your favorite free online encyclopedia is at your fingertips.
NEW: Places - Find Wikipedia articles about places next door or across the globe, with a map and location based search experience. On a trip or your daily commute, with Places it’s easy to learn more about the world around you.
NEW: Appearance controls let you read Wikipedia in comfort, with dark mode, text size control and image dimming to customize how you read.
Explore feed - Discover the depths of Wikipedia through your explore feed, which surfaces Wikipedia articles and captivating freely-licensed photos. The feed is constantly updated and includes:
- recommended articles based on what you’ve already read
- featured articles hand-picked by the Wikipedia community
- daily top read articles
- picture of the day
- events on this day in history
- random articles
- nearby landmarks
Find and search - Easily find what you’re looking for by searching within articles or using Spotlight. You can even search with your favorite emojis!
Quick access - Add Wikipedia to your device's Today screen to pick up exactly where you stopped reading your last article, or see the top-read articles and trends of the day.
Easy touch navigation, including 3D touch - Multi-touch gestures like swipe, tap, and 3D Touch features complete essential tasks more quickly and simply.
Save articles - Save articles for reading later, even when you’re offline.
Multilingual support - Search for and read Wikipedia articles written in any Wikipedia-supported language — there are nearly 300!
Share - Easily share articles, images, and facts from Wikipedia on social media or by email. Or use Handoff to continue reading articles across your iOS devices.
Want to know more behind the scenes of the Wikipedia mobile app for iOS? Check out these resources:
To send feedback, from the app tap:
Settings Gear > Send app feedback
Contribute to our app localizations:
Code at GitHub open source repository:
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is a nonprofit organization that supports and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia projects. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable organization funded mainly through donations. For more information, please visit our website: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Home.
What's New in Version 5.6
Dark mode! Read in comfort with new Appearance controls, including dark colors and image dimming. Make those late night Wikipedia sessions easier on the eyes. Choose between sepia, dark or white themes to read Wikipedia your way!
On this Day - A new card in the Explore feed highlights events that occurred on this day in history. Use the timeline to swipe back through time and read about the amazing past of every day.
iMessage Stickers - Message a friend to tell them you're lost in a Wikipedia rabbit hole! Post a "Citation Needed" sticker when a relative sends you Fake News. Now you can say it in a wiki-way, with Wikipedia stickers for iMessage.
This release also includes a number of other use-ability improvements and bug fixes.
Amazing content, one complaint
This being the official Wikipedia app it is not surprising that it gives access to the wealth of knowledge Wikipedia is known for.
I only have one complaint: why doesn't saved content sync across devices? It could be done either through iCloud or across devices logged in with the same Wikipedia user name (otherwise what is the point of having a user name?).
I used to have an app called Wikibot that did just that: saved articles would sync across devices sharing the same iCloud account.
Good good not bad
I cry when I think of how happy this makes me. Hands down the best part about living in now, 2017. that people care to leave information accessible to enlighten anybody willing, feeds curiosity and I think leave a positive effect on people in the long run. If you're a fan of Wikipedia, you'll enjoy the app.
One of the best apps for information about the world. Also perfect for biographies of individuals and other cultures. I have always loved history of the world. I was an art major in college with a minor in art history. It's very interesting to find out personal information about the artist.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Aug 07, 2017
- Version: 5.6
- Size: 38.5 MB
- Languages: English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Armenian, Arpitan, Assamese, Asturian, Azerbaijani, Basque, Bengali, Bosnian, Breton, Burmese, Cambodian, Catalan, Central Bikol, Central Kurdish, Chechen, Czech, Danish, Dimli (individual language), Dutch, Esperanto, Faeroese, Finnish, French, Frisian, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Hunsrik, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kannada, Karachay-Balkar, Korean, Kölsch, Latvian, Lithuanian, Lower Sorbian, Luxembourgish, Macedonian, Malagasy, Malay, Malayalam, Maltese, Marathi, Nepali, Norwegian Bokmål, Occitan, Oriya, Oromo, Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Rinconada Bikol, Romanian, Russian, Sanskrit, Scots, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Sindhi, Singhalese, Slovak, Spanish, Sudanese, Swahili, Swedish, Tajik, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Upper Sorbian, Urdu, Uzbek, Venetian, Vietnamese, Welsh, Yakut, Yiddish
- Seller: Wikimedia Foundation
- © 2017 Wikimedia Foundation
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.