Roger's Mushrooms (Pro)
By Roger's Plants Ltd
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Roger’s Mushrooms is based upon the best selling works of Roger Phillips, author of Mushrooms, the worldwide best-selling mushroom and fungi book. The app uses high resolution, zoomable photos that can be accessed in the field with no internet connection. PLEASE NOTE THAT, FOR THIS REASON, THE APP SIZE IS LARGE AND TAKES SOME TIME TO DOWNLOAD.
* The most comprehensive identification tool for fungi, toadstools, field mushrooms, truffles, puffballs and brackets*
* Based on the work of best-selling author and world-renowned mycologist, Roger Phillips*
* More than 1,650 species of mushroom catalogued including edible, poisonous and hallucinogenic, with over 2,600 photographs*
* Record the mushrooms you find and your forays on an interactive map*
* Powerful mushroom identification feature, plus invite others to help you identify your mushrooms*
* Connect with fellow mushroom enthusiasts through the Follow, Events, Share and Message features*
* Full access to the database without an internet connection so easy to use in the field*
* Browse Roger’s favourite mushroom recipes, and store your own recipes *
The Roger’s Mushrooms App is the perfect tool for learning about and identifying mushrooms, and for networking with other mushroom hunters. The app offers the most complete catalogue of wild mushrooms and fungi across Europe and North America, featuring over 2,600 photographs of 1,650 fungi species that have been collected in the wild by renowned mycologist and best selling author Roger Phillips and other senior mycologists from America and Europe. Roger also introduces users to cooking mushrooms and shares some of his favourite mushroom recipes for users to try out.
Users can personalise their experience by adding comments and images throughout the app, and by recording details of the mushrooms they spot on a satellite map. Multiple social features are integrated including being able to engage the wider user group in helping identify mushrooms, and inviting other users on mushroom forays.
Learn about and identify mushrooms through:
* Detailed descriptions for over 1,650 mushroom species
* Over 2,600 photographs, all zoomable using both tap-to-zoom or standard pinch-zooming
* Comprehensive database with the ability to search and browse species by common name as well as latin name. Common name languages include English, French, German and Hungarian
* Filter mushrooms by: visual appearance characteristics (stem, cap, underside, colour, size, flesh, spore colour), edibility (choice, edible, inedible, hallucinogenic, poisonous, and deadly), habitat and location
* Invite other users to help you in identifying a mushroom through ‘MyFinds’
* Overviews of the 30 most important mushroom genera
* Introductory overviews on foraging for mushrooms and the mushroom anatomy
* Quiz for identifying mushrooms based on images, latin or common names
* Opt-in ‘Mushroom of the Week’ notifications
* Descriptions include microscopic spore print analysis for more accurate identification
* View, like and share other users’ content across the app.
* Share content through Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, email and twitter
* Messages: send other users direct messages within the app
* Invitations: send other users invitations to your events e.g. a mushroom foray
* Record details of the mushrooms you spot in the wild for future reference, including: exact geographical location, time, photographs and key characteristics
* Add your own comments and images across the app
* Shape the way the information on the app is presented to you through ‘my preferences’
* Add mushrooms and recipes to your favourites list for easy access
* Browse Roger’s favourite mushroom recipes
* Upload your own mushroom recipes
* Browse other users’ mushroom recipes
* Rate recipes you’ve tried and add the best recipes to your favourites
What's New in Version 2.1
- Performance & reliability enhanced.
- Bugs & issues fixed.
- App size reduced (easier to install).
Not bad at all
Granted, I'm not a beginner when it comes to mushrooms. This is not for someone just starting out, unless you're an informational sponge that enjoys fast paced and higher educational learning without complaint. The terminology and level of description covered in this is fitting for what I needed.
That being said, when first launched, there was a lag until I actually was able to access all of said information. Issues with registering? Connectivity?I'm unsure. I'm persistent and waited a few days, putzing with it, and one day, boom! Everything was just fine and has been ever since.
Only thing that can make it better? The constant want (need) for more variety and species added.
Update. Still garbage. They fixed the size but it continually crashes. Bring back the old version. Old review: I wish I could rate it -100! This is a rip off, DO NOT BUY! The old version was 100 megs The new version has 2.8 gigs. Why would anyone want that much space used up particularly for mushrooms in Europe? When it only was 100 megs, it was no big deal for it to also have Europe. You also have to create an account to use. Then it signs you up for emails and other BS without your permission. It does not have an option for inches-it fills up our device with european musrooms and will not even give the NA ones in inches. Then the new interface is horrible. You just have a little bitty space to read the text and cannot enlarge the text section. Then the stuff floats around. I want a refund.
a good app gone bad. Still bad.
This was a great app. I loved taking it with me for hikes in the woods, not to get any mushrooms, but just to be able to identify what I saw. Now they have gone and spent who knows what to “improve” the app which is the opposite of what they have done. It is a bloated mess. It now requires registration (why?). And the basic search function which was easy and fast is now hard and slow.
updated feb/2016. Still no good. A great and useful app ruined by a makeover. Please please bring back the original app. I’ll even buy it again.
Please bring back the old app. I cannot believe you have done this. I am deleting the app from my phone now as I type this.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Oct 20, 2015
- Version: 2.1
- Size: 1.54 GB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Roger's Plants Ltd
- © 2001-2015 Rogers Plants Ltd
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Unlimited social sharing pack$1.99
- Mushrooms Spotted Credits Pack of 20$0.99
- Identification Help Credits Pack of 15$0.99