Wildfires by American Red Cross
By American Red Cross
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Be ready for wildfire with Wildfire by the American Red Cross. Get the latest state-by-state Wildfire news, prepare your family, home and pets, let loved ones know that you are safe even if the power is out – a must have for anyone who lives in an area that is susceptible to wildfires or has loved ones that do.
• Step-by-step instructions let you know what to do even before/during/after wildfires, even if no data connectivity.
• Wildfire News section with state-by-state links to all fire-fighting agencies’ Twitter feeds and websites ensuring the most recent developments on current wildfires.
• Click-to-call access to your state’s 511 network for the latest traffic information in case of evacuation
• Let family and friends know you are okay with the customizable “I’m Safe” alert for Facebook, Twitter, email and text.
• Find open Red Cross shelters in your area when you need help.
• Stay safe when the lights are out with the Toolkit, including a strobe light, flashlight and audible alert functions.
• Prepare for the worst by learning how to assemble an emergency kit for your family in the event of power outage or evacuation.
• Empower your family to stay safe and remain calm in an emergency by learning how to make and practice an emergency plan.
• Earn badges that you can share with your friends and show off your wildfire knowledge with interactive quizzes.
What's New in Version 1.1.1
- No more real time alerts; replaced with direct link to fire-fighting agencies' news feeds.
- Click-to-call 511 for your state's traffic info, especially helpful in case of evacuation.
Great features, if only it worked
I like the features of this app, especially the ability to monitor multiple locations. Of course, it would be more useful if it actually did what it claims. I'm currently watching the smoke rise from a wildfire about 10 miles away, but I've received no alert despite setting a radius of 50 miles from my current location nor is it shown on the map. The app clearly states that data comes from Inciweb. The Inciweb website DOES list this fire and shows it on the map. I want to like this app, but it's not very useful for the intended purpose.
Update: as of 7-3-13 they've removed the alert feature of the app rather than going to the trouble of fixing it. Excuse me?! Wasn't that the whole point of the app, to alert you in case of a wildfire? This app is now worthless to me and I've given it the lowest score I can, but it's still too high.
Update: the alert tab has been removed and instead it's up to you to manually check wildfire news for your area. Here in California there are several agencies to choose from so in addition to not alerting you to a new fire, you have to go searching for information about it. What a joke! This app has fallen far from where it began.
Bring Alerts Back!
I really liked the alerts! What was a four star app just dropped in my book. I don't want to have to sort through information unless I want or have to. Poor choice ARC.
I used to love this app, but after this latest update it's useless! Gone is the map feature or any real news. Now all this app does is link you to CALFIRE and give you their twitter feed. Please bring back the map feature! Until then, not worth the download.
- Category: Weather
- Updated: Aug 13, 2013
- Version: 1.1.1
- Size: 23.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: American Red Cross
- Copyright © 2012 American Red Cross
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.