Window Focus is a super useful and beautiful app that helps you focus on what’s important. The app highlights the current working window and dims all the others in the background.
If you want to concentrate on a task at hand on your Mac, Window Focus is an absolutely essential app. By highlighting the window you are currently working on and have open, all other background windows are dimmed, which minimizes the distraction they cause and helps boost your productivity.
- Highlight the current app window that you have open
- Dim all apps and windows in the background
- Adjust the overlay tint colour to any colour of your choice
- Control overlay opacity level using an adjuster scale
- Ability to highlight either the single window within an app that you have open, or all windows within that app and dimming every other app’s windows that are open in the background
- Disable dimming for specific apps via app exceptions in preferences
- Be able to improve your focus on the window that you have open
- Heightened productivity
- Reduced distraction from flashing images, chats, colours, multiple open windows etc in the background
Improved support for macOS Mojave
Ratings and Reviews
This app does what it says it will do, which is to dim everything except the app that is currently in use. Most of the time that works quite well. What I have found so far, however, is that if I use the split screen feature of macos Sierra, neither app is considered in use and therefore both are dim. There is a way to fix that, which is to turn window focus off while working in split screen and then turn it back on when leaving split screen mode. There may be a more elegant solution that I have not yet discovered.
Nicely done and so useful
I love this app. When I really need all my focus like in writing an article, I find Window Focus to be exquisite. I didn’t realize how distracting all those open windows from different apps are in the background. And when all visible easy to mistakenly click on one and go down some rat hole like the email client.
It’s not that I use Window Focus all the time, but when I really need to focus, it is transformative!
I have also found it be very useful in the GoTo Meetings that I run. If I need to show my screen I just turn on Window focus and only the window I would want people to see is visible. I don’t have to worry about my desktop or a visible bunch of clutter.
I own about 5 applications from Fiblab and I find them all to be thoughtfully designed, consistently useful, and completely stable.
It’s Called Focus
So I can’t remember how I tripped over this app, but I’m glad I did. With the unlimited ability to filter open windows to the one thta I’m working is great. Also, because the others go dim, other people looking at my computer can only see the one window I want them to see. And since blue is my fav color, the blued-out screens actually makes me feel happy.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.