WinZip - The leading zip unzip and cloud file management tool
By WinZip Computing LLC
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Experience the power of WinZip®–on your Mac! WinZip Mac 4 makes it easy to zip and protect your files, and new sharing options let you seamlessly connect to cloud services.
• Zip and unzip files instantly with WinZip’s trusted compression
• Protect files with strong AES encryption
• Share directly to Dropbox and Google Drive
• Share directly to iCloud Drive, Dropbox, Google Drive and ZipShare, from within WinZip
• Successfully email large files and minimize storage needs
• Zip and unzip files instantly using simple, drag-and-drop tools
• Reduce file size for faster sharing and smaller storage
• Open major compressed file formats (Zip, Zipx, RAR, LHA, 7Z, JAR, WAR)
• Password-protect confidential files and apply powerful AES encryption
• Prevent unauthorized access of email attachments
• Encrypt individual files within a zipped folder
Package and Share
• Zip and encrypt Mac files to create smaller, safer email attachments
• Organize and compress files into small, logical groups that are ideal for sharing
• Zip files and folders for faster uploading/downloading times
• Easily share to Facebook, Twitter and other apps
Connect to your Clouds
• Connect to iCloud Drive, Dropbox, Google Drive and ZipShare right from WinZip
• Easily zip and upload large files, or open zip files saved in the cloud
• Use Cloud Links to upload a file to your cloud service and quickly send a link to it via email
• Maximize cloud storage space by compressing files
What's New in Version 4.0.2604
1. Support the XZ compression method to create .zipx files.
2. Fixed several bugs.
WinZip has been around since 1991 and is a staple of modern computing. I purchased this for better zip management and zip encryption. As others have mentioned, encryption isn’t readily apparent, yet the support exists. Open WinZip, and create a new zip file. Click the "Add" button on the tool bar to add files to the archive. From the Finder window that pops up, click the "Encrypt" checkbox at the bottom, then enter in a strong archive password twice. Click the "Zip" button, and you’ve got your encrypted archive. I would recommend going to the WinZip menu > Preferences, and changing the Encryption Method to "AES-256bit," which can only be extracted by WinZip (Encryption Method "Zip 2.0" provides password protection and compatibility for other OS's). I agree with others, there should be an "Encrypt" button on the toolbar. Beyond that, the program works as designed.
Works, but horrid interface
It works, but it has a really unfriendly user interface that makes it confusing about exactly what are you are doing. They are more focused on the created zip file than they are on what I would expect as a workflow. You have to specify encryption when you add a file to the archive, and to do that you can’t use the drag and drop into the open app interface, you have to use the [+] button and then select encrypted then choose your file.
More archive formats please!
It works great for Zip & Unzip, but I would like if it supported additional Mac/Unix formats like gZip for unzipping. It would also be handy to be able to specify a file should be encrypted when saving a zip and/or when dropping onto the zip window vs having to use the Add button or drop on the dock icon to get the option.