Wire secures your business and personal chats, files and calls with end-to-end encryption. All data is protected by European privacy laws.
Wire combines strong end-to-end encryption with great user experience, and all the great features to get work done in a team, or to bring friends and families together.
It works on all major platforms and devices so your chats, files and calls are always in sync and available everywhere.
• End-to-end encryption – Chats, calls and files are secured and only the participants have the keys to unlock what is said or sent. Wire does not have access to your conversations.
• Based in Europe – Wire follows strict Swiss data protection laws and all our servers are based in Germany and Ireland.
• Open source and independently audited – Wire’s code is 100% open source and is regularly reviewed by independent security experts.
• Mobile, tablet, desktop – The conversations and files are always in sync and you don’t need a phone to sign up or log in.
• Voice and video calls – Get a conference call or screen sharing session going with up to 10 people, or jump on a 1:1 video call for some face-to-face time.
• Secure file sharing – Securely send any file from your device, or from a cloud service like Dropbox.
• Easy-to-use – Wire combines maximum security with a great user experience. There's no training required and as many users say “even my grandmother can use it!”
• 2-in-1 – Wire is the first secure messenger that lets you log in with multiple accounts. Easily switch between work and personal conversations.
• Rich conversations – Audio and video messages, GIFs, sketches and likes help to keep the conversation going.
Wire is free for personal use.
More info: wire.com
— Keyboard language is remembered for each conversation.
— Maximum number of participants in a group chat was increased to 300.
— Scrolling in conversations is smoother as we improved image loading logic and performance.
— Messages are more reliably delivered on slower networks.
— Notification reliability improvements.
— Accessibility: VoiceOver annotations are available now in calling screen.
— Wire sometimes tried to send a single message multiple time when the phone was offline, resulting in decryption errors.
— Occasionally the wrong year was shown in message timestamps.
Ratings and Reviews
Unusable with long conversations
This app worked well for about a month, but with long conversation history it began to lag. Within the last week or so, messages - especially multiple messages or ones sent as the same time as the receiver sends a message - will cause the app to slow significantly, delaying delivery of messages or not sending them at all. The keyboard will lag when typing or not show your input until about 15 seconds later, while completely freezing the screen. I’ve tried restarting my phone, force closing the app, force closing other apps, but nothing seems to work. Love the interface and capabilities of the app, but will be choosing something else until these issues are fixed.
Thanks for flagging. This is an issue we know about, and is in the queue for a fix.
All the best,
Better privacy and features than others
Update: I’m revising my rating from 5 stars to 4 stars. Wire team, please provide the option to register with only an email address from within the mobile app (instead of having to go to the website on a computer and find the email registration option). Also, please improve app launch time, similar to Whatsapp and Signal.
Wire has better privacy than virtually any other messaging app. EVERYTHING is end to end encrypted. Providing access to your contacts info is optional because usernames are used. You can register with an email address on their website or with your phone number in the app.
Wire has virtually every feature a messaging app can have including texting, calling, video calls, group chat, voice messaging, expiring messages, attachments, GIFs, and more. The interface is nice and clean with no ads whatsoever.
I still haven’t found another messaging app with the same combination of privacy and features. This one is a keeper.
thanks for the positive feedback!
Registering with an email address on mobile is something we have planned for the future.
We're constantly working on improving our app and hopefully soon the launch time will be faster.
Slow to refresh and video calls are weak
I’ve used this app for about a month now and at first it was fast, but now it’s super slow with all the messages that I don’t want to delete. Groupme works better in this aspect. At first this app was amazing!
I also wish that the text tones wouldn’t be as INTENSE when you have the chat already open. A subtle one would do just fine if I could have a loud one in the app. And there’s no way to turn off tones or have a softer one when you’re in the chat. You can only have ONE for notifications when not in the app or chat and when you’re on a chat.
Finally, video connection even on LTE stinks hard core even with good signal. I have been super frustrated with this.
- Wire Swiss GmbH
- 106.2 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovenian, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Wire Swiss GmbH
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.