Wolfram Culinary Mathematics Reference App
By Wolfram Group LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Trying a recipe for the first time? Planning a weekly menu? The Wolfram Culinary Mathematics Reference App will help streamline your culinary tasks by providing you with quick access to a set of tools specially designed for kitchen efficiency. With the Wolfram Culinary Mathematics Reference App you can access general information and perform simple cooking computations, or research food economics for a particular region or country. Get ready to explore what you can do using mathematics and the culinary arts.
- Get nutritional information for individual foods or entire meals
- Access the Recommended Daily Allowance and Dietary Reference Intake information for essential vitamins and nutrients
- Convert recipes and ingredient measurements to serve larger or smaller groups
- Locate nearby grocery stores by place or store name
- Perform simple math calculations while cooking
- Calculate the cost of food per recipe, per unit, per portion, and more, with options to use yield percent or trim
- Research food economics for specific years and countries with data about production and consumption, average prices, and comparisons
The Wolfram Culinary Mathematics Reference App is powered by the Wolfram|Alpha computational knowledge engine and is created by Wolfram Research, makers of Mathematica—the world's leading software system for mathematical research and education.
The Wolfram Culinary Mathematics Reference App draws on the computational power of Wolfram|Alpha's supercomputers over 2G, 3G, 4G, or Wi-Fi connection.
Potentially useful, but needs work
The density conversion portion of the app is key for me. Using it brought these anomalies to light:
1) For example, gives same density for powdered sugar as granulated sugar. Incorrect: powdered sugar has about 60% the density of granulated sugar.
2) It should be possible to express the weight of ingredients in metric units, particularly in the Volume<->Mass conversions.
3) It is ironic that while weights are given in ounces, density is given in units of g/cm^3.
4) Very annoying is attempting to edit text in the Ingredients field: put the cursor somewhere *in* the text, hit the delete key, and the cursor jumps to the end of the text having deleted nothing.
5) I can find no preferences that control the interface.
Wolfram software is generally excellent and I am confident that this app will follow that trend eventually.
For the home cook at best.
This app does not provide a lot of solid information. For all of the trim data for example and APQ,EPQ it does not provide any food data, where some other computer programs will provide a estimated trim for a particular type of food and offer a library of ingredients that have trim information. Why even offer a trim option on the app if there is no data for it? Anyone can weight the product then cut the trim and weight again to get the info. The library of ingredients offered food economics is a joke, mostly processed foods. If you are attending a culinary college you will learn culinary math while attending such as I did. This will help you throughout your career and sometime other areas such as spotting a bad culinary app. I thought this would be a fun app being familiar with other apps by wolfram but I was wrong. Spend your money elsewhere.
As a Chef and Culinary Arts Instructor this is an app I can stand behind. I use this several times per week as a teaching tool for my culinary students. Part of being a chef and an instructor is demanding the best out of your tools, and smart planning. This app helps me to do both. Planning out seasonal menus and lessons have become much easier. My students and my Culinary Institute are happy we found this app.
- Category: Food & Drink
- Released: Oct 31, 2012
- Version: 1.0.0
- Size: 14.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Wolfram Group LLC
- © 2012, Wolfram Alpha, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.