Equal rights start with equal voices.
Woman Interrupted App uses the smartphone to detect and help reduce Manterrupting - that is what we call when men interrupt women unnecessarily. This behaviour stops women from expressing their ideas at work, at home and in society as a whole.
Using the microphone on your device, the app detects whenever a male voice interrupts you (for female users) and whenever you interrupt a female voice (male users). Don’t worry. No audio is recorded: everything goes directly from sound to data.
Make your voice heard.
Ratings and Reviews
Thank you for empowering women!
There is a tremendous amount academic research supporting this premise that men interrupt women more often then men interrupt men. Studies about conversational interruptions have been conducted since the 1970s. In 1975 study by Don Zimmerman and Candace West from the University of California, 48 interruptions were recorded. Only one interruption was by a woman. Since then, studies have confirmed that men interrupt women more often. In 2015, Kieran Snyder (who had a PhD in Linguistics from the university of Pennsylvania) discovered that men interrupted more than two times more than women but they also were more than three times more likely to interrupt a woman. There is a large amount of evidence to support that women are interrupted at alarming rates. This is exciting this app will help increase the knowledge of this issue. When people dismiss this issue they are dismissing a larger issue that women are not as well represented and not able to speak their minds as freely as their male counterparts. If this will help spread awareness and help future generations of girls feel more empowered I am a huge supporter of this app!
Thank You for this App
1) While they gave me a good laugh, my apologies to all of the fragile men on here who took the time to download this purely so they could leave a comment to the effect of "get back in the kitchen"
2) Sadly, it seems, based on the data, I would be interrupted even there. This app helps illustrate a problem with value we have in society--where men's opinions are held in higher esteem so they feel justified in interrupting. When this is pointed out, suddenly the person who said it is "a crazy liberal" that "needs to learn to speak up!" False. Of course I could interrupt them back and finish my thought, but that's not really the point is it? People should be able to show enough decorum in a conversation to allow each other the room to complete a sentence.
So, thank you for creating an app that can finally help illustrate the problem in a way that could help us move towards treating men and women equally; at least in conversation as a starting point.
If someone can't handle being interrupted occasionally, then there are serious inquiries that should be made about the mental and or emotional health of said individual.
This app a pathetic waste of time and a poor indicator of the problems it claims to track. The main problem I have with this bit of software however is that the app runs continuously, meaning It's always monitoring your conversations. You have nothing to fear however *sarcasm* as you are assured the app doesn't "keep" your conversations. BS. Not only is this a sad excuse for an application but also a massive security concern. Use your better judgment and stay away from this crap. Also next time you get interrupted in a conversation, don't be a coward. Defend yourself and interrupt your interrupter otherwise you opinion doesn't matter.
- Betc Brasil Agencia de Publicidade Ltda
- 109.8 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 BETC São Paulo
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.