"...every now and then an app comes along that captures our imagination..."
"Woodcraft is a great tool if you're familiar with CAD and 3D modelling."
"…Woodcraft is the measure twice, cut once app of apps…"
"...stuck in a waiting room and want to visualize your latest carpentry concept? There’s an app for that: Woodcraft..."
"...This is a useful tool not only for the professional builder but can tackle your home woodworking projects also..."
Woodcraft is designed to help professional and budding carpenters draft their next masterpiece. Combining elements of Computer-Aided Design (CAD) and 3D modelling in a delightful and intuitive package, Woodcraft can tackle most woodworking projects: from decks to framing, simple furniture to backyard sheds. Woodcraft enables you to completely design your next project. Woodcraft is optimally suited to work on dimensional lumber projects.
- Shop with confidence using the fully-automated Bill of materials.
- Design in 2D or 3D and seamlessly switch between both views. Our intuitive view navigation system solves usability problems common in similar applications.
- Align, rotate and move lumber precisely with the extensive grid settings and alignment tool.
- Create your own lumber types when the app doesn't provide them by default.
- Work with rough or finished lumber. When using finished lumber, a 2" x 4" correctly measures 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" while in rough lumber mode it will measure 2" x 4".
- Measure distances and refer to the on-screen measurements when building your project. Precision can be as fine as 1/64th of an inch!
- Work in metric or imperial units.
- Use tools such as the hand saw or table saw to cut lumber graphically and precisely.
- Generate a Project Booklet, which can then be e-mailed, printed to any AirPrint connected printer or opened in any application that supports PDF documents.
- See your project overlaid on top of photographs using Photograph Mode (available as an in-app purchase).
- Transfer your projects by email or iTunes between iOS devices: Woodcraft is a universal app.
- Download and share projects with the Woodcraft community in the online gallery and gain Twitter followers in the process.
* Woodcraft does not support joinery, dados, circular, rounded or partial cuts. For these reasons, Woodcraft may not be your best choice to design fine furniture or cabinets.
* Please note that a Twitter account is not required to use Woodcraft. Only those that wish to upload to the online gallery need Twitter access.
- Available in English, French, Spanish and Italian.
* Online guides, tutorials and documentation are available only in English.
Restores access to gallery functions that require a Twitter account
Ratings and Reviews
I am so sorry I bought this software! While not very complicated to use especially if you first spend some time watching the various tutorials, it falls short of being useful for anything but simple projects. And by “simple projects” I mean only the most basic of woodworking, so basic you really shouldn’t need use software to begin with.
The five tools you have to work with are measure, mark, hammer, saw, and table saw. No options for things like cutting/drilling holes, specifying routed edges or dove tails. I would at least expect the ability to cut holes or being able to cut pockets.
What you can do is specify the dimensions of each piece of lumber, cut it to the size you want and move them into the position you want in order to build the item. But it does take time to do so with precision, objects don’t snap together. It takes so much time in fact I’d rather spend that time actually building the project rather than doing it twice, once in the software and then in actuality. After all, you can only build simple projects with this software.
For very advanced woodworkers, Woodcraft may not provide as much value as for amateur builders. If you can figure out the quantity of material you need and the various lengths and cuts to be performed with your eyes closed, Woodcraft is probably not for you.
Yet, for a certain segment of woodworkers, Woodcraft seems to be a useful tool, demonstrated by the 200+ projects created by our community of users and available for download through our in-app gallery.
You may have missed our video tutorial on object snapping, a feature we have improved over time and which seems appreciated by other Woodcraft users.
Thanks for giving us the point of view of a more advanced woodworker.
Great App, Great Support
Don’t be dismayed by negative reviews. This app is very useful, and designed intuitively for a touchscreen device. If you take the time to view the tutorial videos, it will give you a much needed grounding for the basics.
I drafted a project (a pretty large planter stand for my wife) in the app. When completed, I printed the project and took the bill of materials to my local lumber store. Using the views from the project printout, the finished product went together very smoothly, with no guesswork in measurements or cuts.
I did have a misunderstanding of the use of the app’s “Lumber pile”, which caused me to purchase more lumber than I actually needed for the project. I wrote to the developer in hopes of figuring out what I was doing wrong, and he promptly explained that there is also a “Scrap pile” in the lumber menu - this is where my extra wood (that I was dropping into my project, then “deleting”) was going. The extra lumber wasn’t a big deal for me, as I wouldn’t have calculated/guessed the amount correctly without the app, and it’ll be used in my next project anyway.
For me, the app was well worth the small investment. Yes, the App Store is full of free or $0.99 apps, but compared to full fledged applications on a PC, this is still a very cheap and very useful specialized tool that suits me great!
I would buy the rights to this app and make it amazing
I have loved the concept of this app since I discovered many years ago. Honestly I’m surprised they continue updating this app to function with ongoing iOS updates because in the 6+ years that I have been using this app for wood design, they never show sign of adding new features that could make this app a major asset within the design/woodworking/furniture industry. I also personally emailed them with many obvious features that would be extremely helpful.
FEATURES WE NEED!:
+ Improve the 3D so the user can orbit and move/edit objects within a true 3D environment. Currently you can only select objects while orbiting in 3D.
+ Toggle the object opacity between solid and transparent. Currently, the objects are always transparent in 3D making it visually confusing.
+ NEW TOOLS!
- Router (this would be AWESOME!)
+ Multiple wood textures
+ Hardware: hinges, nails, screws, handles, knobs, outlets, lights, brackets, etc
+ Wood Paint / Stain
+ Wood Molding
If they don’t want to do this, maybe they will sell the app to someone who will or maybe someone can just develope a similar app with the features I described and make some serious $$$$ with In-App purchases. Designers and woodworkers would buzz about such an app with these features!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the review. Woodcraft was originally designed for building plans using dimensional lumber, not fine woodworking.
Woodcraft could be modified to move into the fine woodworking market -- what's your offer? 😉
- Fasterre services-conseils inc.
- 28.4 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, French, Italian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2017 Fasterre services-conseils inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Photograph $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.