Word Wizard - Kids learn to spell with talking alphabets, spelling tests & fun phonics games
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
• "Speak ‘N Spell for the iPad Generation" - The New York Times •
Word Wizard offers several unique reading and spelling activities for children ages four to 10:
• A talking Movable Alphabet that allows kids to experiment with phonics and word building thanks to the advanced text to speech engine.
• 3 spelling activities that increase in difficulty
• 184 built-in word lists (about 1800 words)
• Add your own words to create unique spelling quizzes
• Keep tabs on your children’s progress with detailed reports
• Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design - Children's Technology Review
• Winner of a Parents’ Choice Award
• Featured by Apple as 'New and Noteworthy' , in ‘Apps For Learning to Write’ & 'Apps for Kids'
• Used in US Schools (60K units sold to schools)
• More than 240K Units downloaded !
Talking Movable Alphabet Activity
• Pronounce and spell check any word, number or sentence
• Natural Sounding Voice - three American voices, one British voice and one Australian voice
• Letter sound (phonic) or name when a letter is touched in the alphabet
• Alphabetic or Qwerty Keyboard
• 4 keyboards available: letters, numbers, consonant digraphs (like “th”) and vowels digraphs (like “oo”)
• Uppercase or lowercase letters
• Keyboard emulation option (dragging letters is optional)
• 4 letter sizes available (allowing for more or less letters on the board)
• Voice Transformer (speed and tone) for added fun
• Customized word pronunciation, if necessary
Fun Spelling Activities
3 spelling activities of increasing difficulty are provided to adapt the activity to the child’s spelling level. You can use the built-in word lists or create your own.
1 - "Word Practice" says and displays the word to spell, and asks the child to spell it using the talking movable alphabet
2 - "Scrambled Letters" says the word and displays the letters needed to build the word or sentence, and asks the child to reorder the letters.
3 - “Spelling Quizzes” is a standard spelling test. The app won’t move onto the next word until the child has correctly spelled the word, helping them to remember its correct spelling.
• 184 built-in word lists of 10 words: Words for beginners, Dolch Words, 1,000 most frequently used words, body parts and more
• Create custom Word Lists by entering your own words and sentences
• Import and export Word Lists you’ve created
• Hints are available should kids not know how to spell a word
• Colorful animations are displayed when a word is completed
• Once a quiz is completed, interactive animations are available as a reward
-- Users & Reports --
• Unlimited number of users
• Detailed Spelling Test Reports per user (can be exported in PDF)
• The New York Times
"This is an important breakthrough in reading instruction, because it leverages the iPad’s size, powerful speech synthesis abilities and touchscreen, so that every letter can be a building block of phonetically accurate sound"
• Children's Technology Review
Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design - 4.8 stars out of 5 - "Turn your iPad into a talking alphabet/language generator - and the perfect tool for a child just starting to experiment with letters and their sounds"
• Wired's GeekDad
"This is a fantastic app for young children, right through to children in later elementary school which makes it an app worth having on your iPad."
• “I love the talking alphabet. (...) The app supports letter recognition, phonological awareness, spelling and self-correction without sacrificing fun. I will certainly recommend it to early educators.” Mary Ellin Logue, Ed.D, Associate Professor, Early Childhood Education,University of Maine
Please send any suggestions to email@example.com. We listen to our users to improve our products.
What's New in Version 4.1
• Export and import your word lists via iCloud Drive, Box, DropBox, Google Drive ( Email export and adhoc network sharing still available)
• Export all your word lists in one shot
• Student Reports are now in PDF and can be directly printed, emailed or sent to others apps
• Bugs fixes ( user removal, scrambled letters activity)
I am a Special Education teacher, working with K-1 students. Over the years, I have downloaded over 850 educational apps. Word Wizard is one of a handful I use every day. I love that we can now put in multiple users. Support is wonderful, very fast and responsive. I use the app in two ways. The spelling quiz is very easy to customize and terrific for independent practice at any level. I also use the movable alphabet for kids during reading time. If they can't remember a difficult word or a name, we just type it in and kids can touch it as often as they like. If kids come to a word they don't know, they type in a few letters, or the whole word, and are able to keep on reading without asking for adult help. An outstanding app that just gets better with every update!
customizable spelling app
We are just beginning to use this app for its intended purposes, as we have spent a good deal of time just playing with the movable alphabet screen. My entire family enjoys creating messages for each other for fun. My daughter, who is using this for spelling is delighted by the animations that tell her when she's correct, and I like the simplicity of the layout. It is colorful, but not too busy.
In addition to the many other assets of this app mentioned in other reviews, I must add that I have had a completely positive interaction with the developer. I had a few questions which he quickly and thoroughly answered.
Helps adults with autism to communicate
I have been a speech pathologist for over 30 years and am always looking for new ways to help non-vocal clients communicate.
One young man would only use his alphabet board with his father because he didn't find that others were patient enough.
He spelled out, "THEY DONT THINK I CAN TALK I CAN TALK I AM SMART"
With WordWizard he can take as much time as he needs, then press Talk!
My only suggestions to improve the app:
1. Move the Talk button so clients with fine-motor issues don't keep hitting Settings.
2. The Space key in Qwerty is great but also needed in ABCD layout.
3. Provide a way to try other layouts, e.g., for clients with better vertical than horizontal scanning
Thanks for a great app,
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Education
- Updated: May 07, 2015
- Version: 4.1
- Size: 382 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch
- Seller: pierre abel
- © L'Escapadou 2011-2015
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.