FEATURES that make WordBook stand out from other dictionary apps:
- Professionally recorded pronunciation for every single entry
- Word origin information (Etymologies)
- Built-in spell checker with pop-up spelling suggestions
- User's bookmark and note management
- Unmatched sounds-like and wild card search and a powerful word puzzle solver
WordBook is a comprehensive, quick and intuitive dictionary and thesaurus of the English language. It's a great combination of comprehensive contents and fast intuitive interface.
* 150,000 entries with more than 220,000 definitions, 70,000 usage samples
* 23,000 root word origins (etymologies)
* 120,000 pronunciation guides in International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) and other notations
* Spoken pronunciations (for all entries)
* Built-in thesaurus and word links connecting words semantically
* Unmatched index, wildcard, anagram search capabilities
* Bookmark (with user's notes) and history management
* Words of the Day: you get to learn new words daily, shake the device for new random words
* Browser-like definition content navigation, ability to tap on any word in the content to look up its definition
* Extending up to 5 web dictionaries to supplement built-in contents
* High resolution graphics for Retina display
* “the best in the [inexpensive dictionary] category... This wealth of information is indispensable to the student, and even fun to use” - Jeff Phillips, Macworld
* “One of 15 Best iPhone Apps for English Majors” - April Lentini, CollegeTimes.us
* “None measure up to WordBook” Score: 10/10 - Michael Alexander, AppCraver.com
* “WordBook leads the parade of free and low-cost dictionary options” - Ben Boychuk, MacWorld.com
* “WordBook's iPhone dictionary - the standard for reference apps” Rating: 5/5 - Steven Yaccino, appolicious.com
- WordBook does not required an internet connection except to view web dictionaries or to play online pronunciation voices.
- WordBook includes entries of both American/British spellings. Definitions are written in American English.
- Supports iOS 11 and iPhone X
Ratings and Reviews
UPDATE: I've gotten used to most of the user interface quirks so I'll give it an extra star. Good for finding words that aren't in other American dictionaries. I think it looks odd that the original word is included in the Thesaurus entries, but I suppose it saves storage to be able to link one entry to multiple words.
Original review from 6 yrs ago:
I find this app to be handy but with some shortcomings. I find the user interface a bit awkward - I wish the navigation arrows went between screens I've looked at and not just screens within a category (more like a web browser). The depth & detail are inconsistent across definitions (i.e. for different words or phrases) but generally good when the info is there. Some of the written pronunciations are dead wrong; in those cases the audio version is usually correct (and vice versa). The app is worth having but could be better.
Still my favorite!!
There are times that I find more in depth and explanatory definitions through other sources but this is still my favorite dictionary app - Hands down! Although there may be more elaborate detail elsewhere then I just paste it into a note in this app.
This was the first dictionary I installed 10+ years ago and it is the best in my opinion. The first thing that sold me on the app was it’s fully functional offline capability. I have devices that are straight WiFi without a data package and if no WiFi’s are available then WordBook is always readily functional. The problem with other apps I’ve tried is they don’t work without an internet connection which is really inconvenient.
Loyal Customer since 2008!!
Excellent tool I use regularly, both at work and home, to communicate more effectively and to better understand what I read. The product also strikes a good balance regarding memory management on the phone. The dictionary is typically adequate, but limited, when there is no cell phone connection. Therefore, the impact on the phone is minimal. Then, the lookup capabilities become extensive when a connection is present. I will install this product on every phone I purchase!
- TranCreative Software
- 25.6 MB
- Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- © 2015 TranCreative LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.