WordBook - English Dictionary and Thesaurus
By TranCreative Software
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
FEATURES that make WordBook stand out from other dictionary apps:
- Professionally recorded pronunciation for every single entry
- Word origin information (Etymologies)
- Built-in spell checker with pop-up spelling suggestions
- User's bookmark and note management
- Unmatched sounds-like and wild card search and a powerful word puzzle solver
WordBook is a comprehensive, quick and intuitive dictionary and thesaurus of the English language. It's a great combination of comprehensive contents and fast intuitive interface.
* 150,000 entries with more than 220,000 definitions, 70,000 usage samples
* 23,000 root word origins (etymologies)
* 120,000 pronunciation guides in International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) and other notations
* Spoken pronunciations (for all entries)
* Built-in thesaurus and word links connecting words semantically
* Unmatched index, wildcard, anagram search capabilities
* Bookmark (with user's notes) and history management
* Words of the Day: you get to learn new words daily, shake the device for new random words
* Browser-like definition content navigation, ability to tap on any word in the content to look up its definition
* Extending up to 5 web dictionaries to supplement built-in contents
* High resolution graphics for Retina display
* “the best in the [inexpensive dictionary] category... This wealth of information is indispensable to the student, and even fun to use” - Jeff Phillips, Macworld
* “One of 15 Best iPhone Apps for English Majors” - April Lentini, CollegeTimes.us
* “None measure up to WordBook” Score: 10/10 - Michael Alexander, AppCraver.com
* “WordBook leads the parade of free and low-cost dictionary options” - Ben Boychuk, MacWorld.com
* “WordBook's iPhone dictionary - the standard for reference apps” Rating: 5/5 - Steven Yaccino, appolicious.com
- WordBook does not required an internet connection except to view web dictionaries or to play online pronunciation voices.
- WordBook includes entries of both American/British spellings. Definitions are written in American English.
What's New in Version 5.1
Fixed bug with anagram search not rendering results.
Loyal Customer since 2008!!
Excellent tool I use regularly, both at work and home, to communicate more effectively and to better understand what I read. The product also strikes a good balance regarding memory management on the phone. The dictionary is typically adequate, but limited, when there is no cell phone connection. Therefore, the impact on the phone is minimal. Then, the lookup capabilities become extensive when a connection is present. I will install this product on every phone I purchase!
Very Useful App
I find myself going back to this app quite often, to check word meaning, even to get correct word pronunciation. The only drawback is that if you do not know the correct spelling for the word you are trying to find, you are out of luck as there is no spell-help within this program. What I wind up doing in that instance is to go to Google and type in the closest spelling I know an Google then comes up with the word correctly spelled.
I had several dictionary apps, this is my main one. I like this app's definitions for the basic idea of the word's most common meanings. The thesaurus is OKAY, but rather than bog the app down with that info (anyone serious will go online anyway), or with new features, speed should be the focus now. Make the app load and find the definition as quickly as possible. In a nutshell; keep it fast and simple.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: May 21, 2015
- Version: 5.1
- Size: 23.3 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: TranCreative Software
- © 2015 TranCreative LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.