WordBook (Universal) - English Dictionary and Thesaurus
By TranCreative Software
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
FEATURES that make WordBook stand out from other dictionary apps:
- Professionally recorded pronunciation for every single entry
- Word origin information (Etymologies)
- Built-in spell checker with pop-up spelling suggestions
- User's bookmark and note management
- Unmatched sounds-like and wild card search and a powerful word puzzle solver
WordBook is a comprehensive, quick and intuitive dictionary and thesaurus of the English language. It's a great combination of comprehensive contents and fast intuitive interface.
* 150,000 entries with more than 220,000 definitions, 70,000 usage samples
* 23,000 root word origins (etymologies)
* 120,000 pronunciation guides in International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) and other notations
* Spoken pronunciations (for all entries)
* Built-in thesaurus and word links connecting words semantically
* Unmatched index, wildcard, anagram search capabilities
* Bookmark (with user's notes) and history management
* Words of the Day: you get to learn new words daily, shake the device for new random words
* Browser-like definition content navigation, ability to tap on any word in the content to look up its definition
* Extending up to 5 web dictionaries to supplement built-in contents
* High resolution graphics for Retina display
* "Mobile dictionary and thesaurus at my fingertips. Lightning fast. The random words of the day are a terrific bonus" - Dane Cook, The Daily
* “the best in the [inexpensive dictionary] category... This wealth of information is indispensable to the student, and even fun to use” - Jeff Phillips, Macworld
* “One of 15 Best Apps for English Majors” - April Lentini, CollegeTimes.us
* “None measure up to WordBook” Score: 10/10 - Michael Alexander, AppCraver.com
* “WordBook leads the parade of free and low-cost dictionary options” - Ben Boychuk, MacWorld.com
* “WordBook dictionary - the standard for reference apps” Rating: 5/5 - Steven Yaccino, appolicious.com
- WordBook does not required an internet connection except to view web dictionaries or to play online pronunciation voices.
- WordBook includes entries of both American/British spellings. Definitions are written in American English.
What's New in Version 4.5.1
Love this app
I use this app almost every day. I have the latest iPad and rely upon the audio to make sure I am pronouncing words correctly. When there's a problem with the audio I shut my iPad down completely, and then audio performance improves. I've found that various apps affect audio performance, and at times one app can " hijack" audio volume control. There are a number If methods to deal with that, but shutting the iPad off completely often works best.
My wife is now a frequent user of this app, and she is very positively impressed with it too.
Maybe I'm just an obsessive linguist, but as a writer I find myself consulting a thesaurus with about as much frequency as I advance the lead on my mechanical pencil. In this perennial quest for the perfect word, I have found WordBook XL to be my indispensable tool and irreplaceable friend. -Good news to my fellow wordsmiths: in the age of the internet and remote devices, my friend is ubiquitous and may be shared with all.
I invite you to make friends with WordBook XL. You will find her to be a helpmate indeed, who shall not disappoint!
I love this dictionary!
WordBook is an impressive effort. It distinguishes itself with other dictionaries available in iTunes store with a snappy performance and great features. You can search or browse words for definitions, jump to word links, find synonyms or bookmark it. There is even a Puzzle Solver feature to assist you with word games.
The audio pronunciation with real voice recorded is a phenomenon. For the price, it’s quite a bargain.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Oct 15, 2013
- Version: 4.5.1
- Size: 25.2 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: TranCreative Software
- © 2013 TranCreative LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.