WordBook (Universal) - English Dictionary and Thesaurus
By TranCreative Software
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
FEATURES that make WordBook stand out from other dictionary apps:
- Professionally recorded pronunciation for every single entry
- Word origin information (Etymologies)
- Built-in spell checker with pop-up spelling suggestions
- User's bookmark and note management
- Unmatched sounds-like and wild card search and a powerful word puzzle solver
WordBook is a comprehensive, quick and intuitive dictionary and thesaurus of the English language. It's a great combination of comprehensive contents and fast intuitive interface.
* 150,000 entries with more than 220,000 definitions, 70,000 usage samples
* 23,000 root word origins (etymologies)
* 120,000 pronunciation guides in International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) and other notations
* Spoken pronunciations (for all entries)
* Built-in thesaurus and word links connecting words semantically
* Unmatched index, wildcard, anagram search capabilities
* Bookmark (with user's notes) and history management
* Words of the Day: you get to learn new words daily, shake the device for new random words
* Browser-like definition content navigation, ability to tap on any word in the content to look up its definition
* Extending up to 5 web dictionaries to supplement built-in contents
* High resolution graphics for Retina display
* "Mobile dictionary and thesaurus at my fingertips. Lightning fast. The random words of the day are a terrific bonus" - Dane Cook, The Daily
* “the best in the [inexpensive dictionary] category... This wealth of information is indispensable to the student, and even fun to use” - Jeff Phillips, Macworld
* “One of 15 Best Apps for English Majors” - April Lentini, CollegeTimes.us
* “None measure up to WordBook” Score: 10/10 - Michael Alexander, AppCraver.com
* “WordBook leads the parade of free and low-cost dictionary options” - Ben Boychuk, MacWorld.com
* “WordBook dictionary - the standard for reference apps” Rating: 5/5 - Steven Yaccino, appolicious.com
- WordBook does not required an internet connection except to view web dictionaries or to play online pronunciation voices.
- WordBook includes entries of both American/British spellings. Definitions are written in American English.
What's New in Version 5.1
Fixed bug with anagram search not rendering results.
Love the app but the icon is heinous
As another reviewer already noted, the icon reminds me so much of Bank of America that I get these two apps confused all the time. It would be great if they changed the icon design to something that is more clearly that of a dictionary app. Trivial it may be, but it bugs me!
That being said, the app is perfect in every other way. I love that it has corresponding Mac and iPhone apps and that they all sync with one another. Wikipedia integration is extremely handy as well. I have no issues other than the annoying icon on my homescreen. :(
Just use Google
I've had this app a long time and use it, awkwardly, to keep saved words. Could be five start but: 1. As designed it is simply easier to search definitions with a browser and developers make no attempt to address this. For example, a huge improvement in reading in iBooks for example, or any other such app to be able to "save to wordbook". 2. Search should have ability to produce suggestions when spelling is incorrect. Five stars with these changes, 2 without and that is generous as without it I don't really use it.
This is my favorite dictionary, straight forward and easy to use. Very comprehensive and update regularly. It was packed with many unique and useful features: take notes, bookmark, puzzle solver… and the real voice recorded for every word is a plus. I love it!
- Category: Reference
- Updated: May 21, 2015
- Version: 5.1
- Size: 26.4 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Language: English
- Seller: TranCreative Software
- © 2015 TranCreative LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.