Words on Wheels - An App for Special Needs Children with Autism, Down Syndrome and Other Speech Delays
By Excel Heritage Group, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Words on Wheels is a must have app for special needs children with autism, down syndrome, cerebral palsy, apraxia and other speech delays.
Here is what some of the parents and therapists think of our app:
"I really like the pictures and found them more colorful and inviting than all the other communication systems available." ~ Sharon
"This app also encourages children to begin to put words together in meaningful ways. To the very left of each row of buttons, there is an empty button. The child can select a button from within that row and it will appear there. So, the child can do this for every row and at the very bottom is a play button which when touched plays all the buttons in order. So, the child can learn to put thoughts and words together. For example, the word ‘dad’ at the very top can be chosen then ‘read’ from the second row and ‘book’ from the third. Dad read book. This would be absolute music to any parent or teacher’s ears. " ~ Tea
"I love the parent password protected editing mode, very nifty and necessary to prevent little fingers inadvertently deleting, I love that it's so easy to add pictures and voice tags." ~ Elaine
Words on Wheels is an unique, fully customized tool to allow children suffering from autism or any other language deficit to easily and effectively communicate their basics needs and wants. It is a replacement of physical PECS and turns an iPad™ into an augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) device for your child.
The application’s main purpose is to let non-verbal children communicate what they want quickly and easily. However, it can also be used as part of a child’s ABA therapy to teach basic language skills.
• Simple and fun to use through the easy to use, colorful and intuitive user interface.
• Photo and Voice library containing 50 preloaded images representing most common words and 5 empty spaces for your own images. Additional image space can be purchased in packages of 5 ($0.99), 25 ($1.99) and 50 ($2.99) images. There is no limit to number of packages purchased.
• Full customization to your needs, create albums by taking pictures on the fly with camera and record audio in your own, native language.
• Order of the images is always retained, so kids don't get confused. Ability to erase rows of images and make it simpler for younger age kids (2-5 years old).
• Password protected editing mode for parents to prevent kids inadvertently delating or changing the content.
***5% of proceeds from Words on Wheels app sales will go to the Autism Society and will help support autism education, awareness, advocacy, research, and most importantly, families living with autism.***
What's New in Version 1.2
Text functionality added with items.
We have just started playing with this app and so far, I really like it's presentation. It has been easy for me as a parent to understand, customize, and is attractive in design. I especially like the very short intro video that will help introduce this app to my 5 yr old.
Would not recommend for children with Down syndrome
The application is far too parent driven, and does not do a good job of helping a child communicate. For example, "No Biting", and "No Hitting" are good values, but how often does your child say this, as opposed to a parent? The presentation is nice, but the mechanics of forming "sentences" for a child with DS are unintuitive and non-interactive. There is no incentive for a child to put words together in any particular way to form expressive communication nor any visual queues that suggest words should or could be strung together to form some expression. For $10.00, I was very disappointed. App is worth $.99 for what is provided.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Education
- Updated: Oct 18, 2012
- Version: 1.2
- Size: 24.1 MB
- Languages: English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish
- Seller: Excel Heritage Group, Inc.
- © Excel Heritage Group, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPad.
Top In-App Purchases
- 25 Image Space$2.99
- 50 Images$4.99
- 5 Image Space$0.99