By Jim Graham
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
WordSearch 4 is the successor to the widely acclaimed Word Search V3.
Please note this application requires a minimum display resolution of 1280 x 800
There is a free version, Wordsearch 4 Lite, available in the App Store.
WordSearch 4 has been redesigned and written from the ground up but still maintains the ease of use and features of it’s predecessor with the enhancements available in a modern AppleMac application.
Input words to a document
• by typing them into a table
• by dragging and dropping a file containing words from the finder onto a WordSearch 4 document
• by importing a file containing words to a WordSearch 4 document
• by dragging words from one WordSearch 4 document to another one
• by dragging text from another program such as Pages, Textedit, Safari, Firefox etc.
• Attach clues to words
• Automatic, and user activated, spell checking of words and clues.
• Unlimited undo/redo in the input screen.
• in sizes from 8 x 8 to 32 x 32
• in up to 50 user defined shapes.
• A wysiwyg print preview display with the following:-
• Toggle between words and clues
• Full control of the printed title of the wordsearch
• Full control of the printed instruction to the user of the wordsearch
In the wordsearch section :-
• adjust font and size of characters in the wordsearch
• adjust spacing between characters in wordsearch
• toggle between lower and upper case characters
• adjust horizontal position of wordsearch on the page
• adjust vertical position of characters within the wordsearch frame
In the words section:-
• adjust font and size used in words
• adjust vertical spacing between rows of words
• adjust horizontal position of words on the page
• adjust number of columns of words
• scramble the letters of the words (anagrams)
• display the words in one of two coded fonts
In the clues section:-
• adjust font and size used in clues
• adjust vertical spacing between rows of clues
• adjust horizontal position of clues on the page
• Print multiple wordsearches each one created from the same words but each one being different from every other one.
• Print a solution to a wordsearch, even multiple wordsearches.
What's New in Version 1.3.1
Opening of both object and png files is now possible by drag and drop in the Shape editor.
A new column has been added to the input table in the main window to allow words to be excluded from the word search creation.
Three new sort criteria have been added.
1) Words with clues can be sorted to the top of the table
2) Excluded words can be sorted to the top of the table
3) Excluded words can be sorted to the bottom of the table
The font set in the preferences for the word column in the input table now also applies to the font of the length column in the table.
Hyperlinks to Shape Exchange web page set on shape selection window and Shape Management window
This app works as advertised, but there are a couple of things that I hope will be addressed in a future release. Word Bank: Has to be in all caps or lowercase. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer to have a capital letter at the beginning of the word followed by lowercase letters. Wish it would have this option. If the word is a formal name, I have to select all caps to make sure the first letter in the name is capitalized. The second thing that bugs me is that two or more words, ex: Space Shuttle, are placed in the puzzle with an extra letter in the space. Why not just run the two words together like most word search puzzles do. Again, Space Shuttle as an example: spacershuttle, the r representing the space between the two words; many times confuses students as to whether they have found the correct word. Other puzzles would have it as spaceshuttle. This prompts the inevitable statement of "Sir, I think you misspelled a word in the puzzle". Again, this is just my preference.
Overall the program is a great utility for the classroom, or any other use and funtions as it should. I love the multiple print function! I use puzzles as extra credit and students would sit together and quickly finish them, thus earning 10 points on any assignment. Now, I easily print 30 different versions ensuring that no two students in the classroom have the same puzzle and they have to work a little extra harder to earn their 10 points.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Apr 10, 2012
- Version: 1.3.1
- Size: 2.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Jim Graham
- © 2011 Jim Graham
Compatibility: OS X 10.6.6 or later