WorkOutDoors is the only workout app for the Apple Watch that displays a detailed vector map whilst you exercise. It is also the most configurable workout app, with over 160 live metrics, graphs and buttons that can be displayed in many different screen layouts. It's perfect for running, mountain biking, hiking, skiing, geocaching and much more.
The map is drawn using vectors, which means that it can be smoothly zoomed, panned or rotated, just like maps on the iPhone. The data comes from OpenStreetMap, which includes paths, tracks, cycle trails and much more.
Maps can be stored on the Watch for use when you don't have your iPhone or cannot get a data signal. And the price includes maps for the whole world. No further purchases or subscriptions are required!
The iPhone app provides detailed analysis of workouts; exporting of workouts; configuration of watch screen layouts; importing of GPX routes; and the ability to control the map areas that are stored offline on your Watch.
Workouts performed using the WorkOutDoors watch app can also be inspected on the iPhone by using Apple's Health and Activity apps.
WorkOutDoors includes many useful map and workout-related features:
- automatic map rotation according to your direction of motion;
- a breadcrumb trail of your route;
- the map can be panned with your finger, and zoomed with the digital crown;
- a circular scale appears when zooming in or out;
- "map-only mode" shows the map without starting a workout;
- GPX routes can be imported and displayed on the map;
- routes are coloured in varying shades of purple: red for uphill; blue for downhill;
- routes can be drawn 'hollow' to show underlying trails;
- POIs and route waypoints can be tapped for more details;
- double tap for a full screen map;
- many different screen layouts and text sizes;
- configure multiple data screens and cycle through them by swiping the display;
- configure what metrics are shown on each screen from a pool of over 160 live metrics;
- manual or configurable automatic laps (e.g. every mile or km);
- summary information, including lap splits, can be shown at any time during the workout;
- splits available for pace, distance, time, heart rate, calories, elevation and steps;
- interval alerts for distances (e.g. every mile), times, steps, calories, ascent and descent;
- limit alerts for heart rates, pace, speed and cadence;
- configurable heart rate zones with dozens of zone-related metrics and graphs;
- configurable target pace/speed with fields such as distance vs target and time vs target;
- target can be shown as a live icon on the map to show how far ahead or behind you are;
- 3 individually configurable rolling pace fields (e.g last mile, last minute etc);
- 16 different activity types;
- multiple types of graphical data fields: historical graphs, bar charts, trail maps and more;
- button fields provide shortcuts for any operation or to quickly show any settings screen;
- "Now Playing" music controls now available from a button within the app;
- workouts can be directly uploaded to Strava or exported as GPX files for use in other apps and websites;
- works even without an iPhone on watches with GPS;
- compass pointing north (which also acts as a button to control rotation);
- "start compass" pointing to your start location (tap it for distance to start);
- GPS signal strength indicator (tap it to see accuracy in metres);
- Battery level indicator;
- Geocache GPX files can be loaded (tap a cache for full groundspeak data);
If you own an Apple Watch and enjoy running, cycling, hiking, skiing, or any other outdoor exercise, then WorkOutDoors is the app for you. Give it a go!
This version includes a few bug fixes and a great new icon!
Ratings and Reviews
One of a kind
I am a runner and a cyclist. I enjoy mountain biking and riding new trails. I have found the Apple Watch to be a great tool for tracking my activities and even playing music when running but was severely lacking in maps for off road activities. This app was the solution to that problem and most likely prevented me from buying a dedicated fitness device like a Garmin watch or cycling computer.
I was bit skeptical that this would actually work well but I was blown away. I customized the screens just the way I want to have them for my activities, downloaded some maps to the watch for offline use, and even loaded a gpx route. I hopped on my mountain bike and went for a ride and it all worked perfectly. The upload to strava at the end of the ride was perfect as well.
Bottom line: This is a fantastic app! Well worth $5.
Best running app for Apple Watch
Coming from a garmin Watch, I was used to highly flexible and customizable screens on the watch, no other app can come close to the configuration and flexibility of this app. To add the ability to load routes or simply have a breadcrumb of any route you take, without needing your phone is just amazing. Allows you to really be free with your running and always get back home. Can not wait to use it with hiking.
The depth of data is quite amazing on the iPhone app as well. Seeing what your stats were at any given point of your run, right on your phone after the run is just unheard of.
Did I mention you can “share” directly to garmin connect from within the app which can then feed strava, map my run, etc. or you can use RunGap or similar app to export from health to your favorite running tracker.
Great Apple Watch app
I got a S3 Apple Watch recently and I like the basic functionalities provided by a few native apps but the main problem I have with the smart watches in general is I don’t find any other apps particularly useful on watch. I rarely find myself prefer to use the watch version of the app when I have the phone. I am very glad I found this app though since it actually provided added utility to the watch when i am outdoor either doing exercise or hiking. The transfer of map from iPhone to watch is especially cool since you don’t need the phone around to look at the map on the watch. It basically replaced my native watch exercise app whenever I am outdoor. I liked it so much that I gifted one to my wife so she had to try it out. I’m not 100% how much battery it uses compared to the native app but so far seems alright.
- Ian Muriss
- 8.9 MB
- Health & Fitness
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2018 Computer Client Services Ltd
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.