iOS 5.1.1 or later is required.
Square Enix’s fresh-faced hit The New York Times called “one of the best role playing games ever designed for anything” has busted onto iOS in a big way, with a slick and addictive new combat system, eye-popping HD art, and (of course) plenty of zetta awesome reasons for longtime fans to double dip.
Arm yourself with psychic superpowers and battle your way through a 7-day gauntlet of action: the Reaper’s Game.
Welcome to Shibuya, a mishmash of attitudes and styles in the heart of Tokyo.
A boy named Neku wakes up in a crowded intersection, alone and unaware of how he got there. Then, he receives a weird text: “Clear this mission...or face erasure.” With that, Neku is thrust into a life-or-death Game that sends him scrambling down streets paved with one riddle after another...
What is the Reaper’s Game? Why is Neku a Player, and what is he playing for? Will the Game really end if he survives all 7 days? Another mystery is always around the corner.
- Intuitive, addictive combat with a twist
Activate your combat abilities, or “psychs,” with simple touch commands like tapping, slashing, and dragging. Comfy with that? Control Neku and his Game partner on the same screen and take the combat up a notch. Like loot? Boost your item drops in battle with the revamped Fusion system.
- Deep replay value
Finish the main story to unlock a hilarious bonus chapter, more quests and items to find, new combat challenges, and secret reports that flesh out the story even more.
- Explore a living, breathing city
Neku’s sprawling world is based on the real-life Shibuya in Tokyo. Visit real locations and absorb some real Japanese culture through a hip fantasy lens.
- Redrawn art and Retina display support
Enjoy the game in full HD on your Retina-enabled iPhone 4 or later device. Art and animation across the game has been redrawn just for this release, making combat a beautiful experience. This is how all 2D classics should look.
- The ultimate soundtrack: 60 songs
Composer Takeharu Ishimoto’s complete, sonically sublime soundtrack is included right in the game with high-quality audio and full vocals, including remixes and new songs.
Praise for the original The World Ends with You:
“Compelling and immaculately presented...from start to finish” – Gamespot
“Nails just about everything it tries – and it tries quite a lot” – IGN AU
“Full of mysteries and surprises, interesting characters” – The New York Times
“A compelling risk/reward system that...amply blesses the daring” – 1UP
“Ice-cool artwork...impossibly catchy soundtrack” – Eurogamer
“Games rarely have things this interesting to say” – G4TV
DS Best RPG/Best Story/Best New IP and DS Game of the Year – IGN
- iOS9 support added."
Ratings and Reviews
Great if you're a 14-year-old otaku
Flat plot, flat characters, not a bad battle system. But coming from REAL RPGs like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger and the like, this just feels average and thoroughly boring. I kept thinking "well it's on all those 'best of' lists, it'll get good at some point." It didn't.
The game is stylized with a thoroughly Japanese interpretation of hip-hop culture, which is rather unique to an RPG. But the player just has too little control over the course of events. Mostly all you get to do is swipe the screen to kill "noise" (monsters) as a story unfolds around your characters, independent of your decisions.
I feel like it would probably be entertaining for a kid who's into otaku culture. But if you like sophisticated games, give this one a pass.
Fix sound please!
I'm happy to be able to redownload the game without purchasing it twice. I was so upset when it got removed from the App Store. But when I searched for it again it is now on my iPad air2. Game works fine so far. But sound works only with headphones plugged in. Hopefully this game will not disappear again.
I've owned every console and played hundreds of games on different genres and I have to say twewy is far ahead of them. I bought this game on ds the first day it came out and loved it. I think I'm in the minority when I say I like the ipad version better than the ds because A) I actually played it and not an apple hater b) bigger screen C) the game changes a little bit since you're using one screen instead of two. Most people will say that the ds is better because of the dual battle screen system but its really not that good compared to the ipad version. You actually get to control your partner instead of putting them on auto. The story line and gameplay are great whether you're a new comer or have played this before. Since I haven't played this in 4 years it felt like new to me again. I loved the surprises, boss battles, collecting the pin, food system, and even the shopping concept. You can play twewy straight on with the story for 20 hours straight or take your time battling noise and upgrading your characters for 30-50 hours. The game is very simple to use and there were no headaches through out the whole thing. The story line will make you play more and more. Next thing you know, you've been playing for 4 hours straight. This is a must buy game for everyone. I think the game used to be $40 so $20 is cheap. Don't compare this to any other $1 or $5 game out there. This game is better than most Xbox/ps3 games out there and it is well worth it.
- SQUARE ENIX Co., Ltd.
- 2.6 GB
- Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad Wi-Fi (3rd generation), iPad Wi‑Fi + Cellular (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi (4th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (4th generation), iPad mini Wi-Fi, iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), and iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation).
- English, Japanese
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2007,2012 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Crafting Material Set x 1 $0.99
- Gourmet Rice Ball x 1 (Food) $0.99
- 100,000 Yen x 1 (Pin) $0.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.