Help your students build a rich vocabulary of essential words! World’s Worst Pet exposes students to over 1000 Tier Two words at 6 different levels through four engaging games. Aligned to the Common Core, this app provides student-friendly definitions, a playful narrative, a fun reward system and thought-provoking writing prompts!
World’s Worst Pet is part of i-Ready— an award-winning, blended learning program published by Curriculum Associates. Learn more about i-Ready at i-ready.com/empower.
World’s Worst Pet is structured to provide repeated exposures to a cluster of conceptually related target words.
• Teaches more than 1000 words across five grade levels, from grades 4 – 8 with content available for students who are working a level behind
• Student-friendly definitions provide clear explanations with rich examples that illustrate how each word is used.
• Engaging narrative and reward system keeps students motivated
• Activities include word context, word sort, synonyms, and antonyms.
• Students see the same word multiple times in a single set of activities.
• Includes Spanish cognates
• Includes immediate feedback
• Uses a real human voice not synthesized robotic speech
• Aligns with Common Core State Standards
• Writing prompts provide an opportunity to use words in types of writing identified by the Common Core
World’s Worst Pet leverages best practices from Reading research
• Targets Tier Two words, selected from research-based lists.
• Also targets domain-specific words, including science and social studies words.
• Teaches words in conceptually related clusters
• Provides clear student-friendly explanations
• Provides multiple exposures and repeated practice across a variety of contexts
• Helps students make multiple connections between words and their experiences.
• Explores word relationships, including synonyms and antonyms
• Includes Spanish cognates such as vehículo for vehicle or numeroso for numerous
• Includes writing prompts focused on the target words in each cluster
ALIGNED TO COMMON CORE
World’s Worst Pet develops concepts, skills, and strategies as targeted by the Common Core.
• “The importance of students acquiring a rich and varied vocabulary,” write the authors of the Common Core, “cannot be overstated.”
• Tier Two words are central to understanding complex text, and World’s Worst Pet provides multiple exposures and repeated practice in these words.
• Aligns with vocabulary standards in these sections of the Common Core State Standards:
o Reading Standards for Literature
o Reading Standards for Information Text
o Language Standards: Vocabulary Acquisition and Use
Have questions or feedback?
Monday – Thursday 8:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. EST
Friday 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. EST
iOS compatibility and fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Great For Educational Purposes
I Use This App At My School And It Works Great! Just Wish There Were More So Called 'Options'
This is the worst thing in the world like a two year old can do better then this like who would make this you people call this a app well I call it crap you don't learn any thing.
This app is terrible
Really? You expect me to do this at school and call it "fun"? Disgusting! It is the worst app I've ever seen. I hope no other human being has to go through this. Making me write an essay... As if!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.