Wrise is a word processor that makes reading and writing accessible for everyone. Designed to support reading comprehension and text composition it can also be beneficial for individuals with dyslexia. With Text to Speech, word and sentence highlighting, zoom and EasyReading mode™ texts become more comprehensible and easier on the eyes. With Speak as You Type, Word Prediction and speech tags, writing becomes not only easier but more fun too.
Wrise offers all the basic word processing functionalities such as changing fonts, different zoom levels, font and background color, spelling and grammar correction. But more importantly, Wrise is also a step forward in supporting everyone’s needs.
Wrise is fully localized in English and French. However, Wrise can be used with Text to Speech voices in many languages.
--A fully functional 15-day trial can be downloaded from our website.--
- Get your preferred font size and color instantly with EasyReading mode™
- Use the Services menu or Action extension to select and read text aloud from any application
- Pause, rewind, fast forward and jump to next or previous paragraph
Personalize your reading experience
- Adjust the pronunciation of words
- Choose a voice and adjust speech rate
- Read with word or sentence highlighting
Listen on the go
- Convert text to an iTunes audio tracks
- Export text directly to mp4 files
- Listen to the audio file on your phone, tablet or mp3 player
Effortlessly create texts
- Import PDF, Word (doc/docx), plain text and RTF documents*
- Listen as you type using Speak As You Type
- Type text with over 45% less effort with PolyPredix™ multi-word prediction
- Write using one of the fifteen included prediction dictionaries**
- Read multilingual texts with automatic language detection
- Use with any Mac voice, including the natural-sounding Infovox iVox voices
Take control with tags
- Use tags to define reading speed, voice, language and volume
- Define your own custom tags to create "characters"
- Create personal and educational podcasts
Protect your Wrise documents
- Password protect your preferences
- Restrict access to text formatting
- Use read-only mode to prevent accidental editing
*Also reads odt, txt, utxt, and html documents.
** See the AssistiveWare Web Site for a full list of supported prediction languages.
We're keeping up with the latest macOS Mojave update by introducing Dark Mode compatibility.
This version also fixes a few minor bugs to streamline use with a Dvorak keyboard and to keep the playback volume steady. It also addresses issues with exporting files made with the Alex voice.
Thanks for using the app!
Ratings and Reviews
I cannot live without Wrise, it is the best Text-to-Speech program!
I have tried various of Text-to-Speech programs and the one with the best voice is Wrise from AssistiveWare.
I recommend Heather Infovox iVox voice!
You have to pay a bit for this set up:
- Wrise on Mac app store: $60 (now on 50% sale at $30)
- Infovox iVox & buy Heather Infovox iVox voice: $14.99
This program not only a Text-to-Speech but also has useful writing tools.
(I am using it now to write this post).
- If you do not need the writing tools & just need the program to read posts for you, try the cheaper GhostReader
I have spent thousands of dollars on various programs and this is the best one that I still use a year later.
I am a technology student intern for my university's Disability Resource Center.
Developer Response ,
Hi, thank you very much for your positive review and feedback. We are glad to know you like the writing features and the Infovox iVox voice Heather.
Yes! What I’ve been looking for.
O.K., I wouldn’t normally give a new app with some desireable features missing five starts. But in this case, the app addresses something that I’ve wanted for so long - a simple easy-to-use work processor that I can SEE - that I’ll give it a pass and hope that the features I want get added.
I’m visually-handicapped, and the trend towards bloated apps with hard-to-see icons and faint text gives me nothing but trouble, Some of them, like Pages, have become so confusing that I’ve switched to using a text editor. What I really wanted was a simple word-processing app that let me WRITE. If I want page layout, I’ll use page layout software.
Along come Wrise. Within a couple of minutes, I was flying along. The option to read as I type is a godsend, and the interface is clean and readable. There are enough features to do word processing, and that’s what I want. I’d love for some more export options, and an easy way to reverse the text colors (I can see white on black better), but right now I’m not complanining. for a newly-released piece of software to address 90% of what I need on the first try is amazing in my book.
Plus, at the current price, it’s well worth-it.
Developer Response ,
Hi, thank you very much for your positive review and feedback. We are glad to know you like Wrise’s word processor and the read as you type feature. We are always looking to improve our apps, so please send any feature request to firstname.lastname@example.org
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.