◉ "New Apps We Love" - Apple
◉ "Best New App for iPad and iPhone" - imore.com
◉ "A solid new alternative to text editors like iA Writer and 1Writer" - Federico Viticci
◉ "The original distraction-free writing app" - idownloadblog.com
◉ "WriteRoom for iOS lives on as Writemator" - Jesse Grosjean, founder of Hog Bay Software
Writemator is based on the source code of WriteRoom app for iOS with all bug fixes and new features. Writemator is a plain text based editor with fast and customizable dropbox sync.
If you're a student spending long nights on your research paper, a journalist writing up your latest piece of news, or a novelist intensely typing away on your next creative work — Writemator is an app for you on your iOS devices.
• Updated for iOS 11
• Distraction-free interface keeps your text in focus
• Dropbox Sync API V2. Support both "Sync Automatically" and "Manual Sync"
• Writemator allows you to choose the folder with which you link in your Dropbox account
• Support TextExpander Touch Expansion. Updated to the latest SDKs of TETouch
• Support Split View/ Multitasking feature for iPad Pro
• Drag and Drop Support (for items like plain text, xml, html, URLs, etc.) of iOS 11 (only in Split View)
• Document Picker Support. Support "Import" and "Export" methods of document picker
• Touch ID and Passcode and Face ID support
• Search tool that lets you search for and find every document that contains your search text
• TypeWriter Mode.
• Live Word Counter.
• Access Writemator files in iOS Files app.
• Fast and powerful search inside a file to search text in a file. Works great even for a document with more than 500,000 words
• Drag-to-scroll scroll bar for quick navigation bigger documents. Just like desktop app scrolling
• In full-screen view, tap margins to move cursor toward margin (iPad only)
• Many new fonts are added like iA Writer Duospace, IBM Plex, SF UI Text, etc. More than 150 fonts are available
• Extended keyboard row with customizable keys
• Dark Mode keyboard
• Extra app icons available to change the app icon.
• Customize your text and background color to any color, line spacing, font size to make your own writing room
• Line spacing is improved from the older version of WriteRoom
• Change brightness of the screen (useful if you are in split view mode)
• Tint cursor/selected text/buttons/etc.
• Sort the folder list by name or date, descending.
• Hide or unhide status bar. Dark mode status bar for dark background
• Scroll headings during typing to hide headings
• Rename your document or folder
• Swipe to delete a document or a folder
• Detect links in a document
• Support text right to left (useful for writers for languages like in Arabic)
• Powerful URLs scheme support
• Hide or show file extensions ;html, css, plain text, ft, etc.
------Upgrade To Pro------
• One-time in-app purchase called "Upgrade To Pro" is available to unlock all features of Writemator like Advanced Settings, Fonts & Colors, Extra App Icons, etc.
If you have any questions/feedbacks/suggestions please let me know via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Added Typewriter mode.
2. Added live word counting.
3. Fixed "Open In..." feature.
4. Use of Files (iOS Files App) so that user can access/ create/ edit/ move/delete/rename, etc. of Writemator files in Files app and in other iOS app which support Files browser.
5. Enhancements of "Import" feature if an user import file not in a root "Documents" folder of Writemator.
If you enjoy this update, please leave a positive rating or review — it really helps! :-)
Ratings and Reviews
Good, but no word count as in the old version
It's great to have this app back as Writeroom was my favorite distraction-free writing tools. While there are some strong features here, esp. the Dropbox support and wide choice of fonts, which most comparable apps don't have, I don't see a word count, which is a must-have in this space. Perhaps the developer could add this easily? (I can search for spaces in a document and get a close approximation of words in the returned number of matches, but that's a kludge, isn't it?) The old Writeroom just displayed the word count as you wrote -- so simple.
Anyway, keep up the good work.
Thanks for the response on the word count feature. The old Writeroom — most other similar apps just offer a word count feature live at the bottom (or top of the screen). Many NaNoWrMo and similar writers need word counts to manage their writing time. And of course journalists and bloggers need this feature.... On a 1,000 word document, I had to scroll all the way up, then swipe again. Perhaps there’s a way to just display the word count in the corner of the document like in the old version?
Thank You for supporting the app. Writemator support word count feature (open the file -> tap the name of file on top -> word count). Please let me know if you have any questions via email email@example.com
Very direct Dropbox access
Best feature for me is that it can be configured to, as soon as you launch it, go directly to a Dropbox folder.
Next best feature, the Dropbox folder is synchronized so that when you’re offline you still have access to files, and any changes you make are synchronized the soon as you get back on.
Works great for my field service business.
Loved app until latest update broke Dropbox
Tried to load up the app but it crashes when trying to sync the Dropbox folders
Issue is fixed. Please update to the latest 1.42 version of Writemator.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.