iA Writer Pro
By iA Labs GmbH
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Writing Machine.
“Writer Pro maximizes the minimalist text editor” — The Verge
“Great design elegantly reduces cognitive load” — Michael Lopp
INNOVATIVE WRITING TECHNOLOGY
- Syntax Control™: Highlight superfluous adjectives and adverbs, find weak verbs, spot repetitive nouns and eliminate false conjunctions. English text only.
- Note - Write - Edit - Read: Workflow states to focus on the task at hand, each with the ideal typeface and color.
ESSENTIAL, EASY TO USE INTERFACE
- Automatic document naming
- Keyboard extension with arrows and punctuation keys, tools, and statistics
- Seamless iCloud sync across devices, for writing in any situation
- Dropbox Sync
- Full text search
- Find/Replace in document
- Sentence Syntax Control fades all but the current sentence, for maximum concentration
- Auto Markdown formats text on-screen
- Night Mode
- Formatted HTML preview
- In-App Help
- Built for iOS 8.1.3
1. iA Writer Pro avoids formatting settings for fonts and colors. All you can do is write.
2. Currently only Latin alphabet languages plus Greek, Japanese, and Russian are officially supported (no Vietnamese, Thai, Hebrew, Arabic etc. support… yet).
3. iA Writer Pro uses plain text files, such as .txt and .md (but not .doc or .docx), in “UTF-8” encoding.
TALK TO US
- Visit ia.net/writer for information about Writer
- Visit ia.net/writer/support for support and feedback
- Let us know what you think on Twitter @iAWriter
We look forward to hearing from you…
— Information Architects Inc.
What's New in Version 1.5
- Find/Replace within documents
- Smart lists with auto-completion
- Full support for GitHub Flavored Markdown task lists.
- Rendered as check marks in preview and print.
- In-App help on the storage selection screen
- Move document using bottom-left button
- Stability improvements
- Performance improvements
If you like iA Writer Pro, please leave a review or a rating. It helps a lot.
Let us know at ia.net/writer/support or on Twitter @iawriter
It really is that wonderful
If you want to write, this will get you there.
I use it to capture immediacy, then export if desirable to Evernote, etc. in the entirely convenient iOS 8 way, rather than fight with their slow starts, marginal editors, bugs, ui foo foo, and other hazards.
Just fine on its own saving, though, and the iCloud way seems great, and with no delays. Works on my PC laptop flawlessly, and no startup delay as Dropbox saving has. You can always export to Dropbox like Evernote if desired, after you've actually worked up your text.
Good for short things
I wrote a novel in this, about 90k words, and I would probably do it again but here are some of the bugs or problems I came across when using it for long things.
* It crashes sometimes, and when you reopen it you may have lost the last paragraph.
* There is no easy way to switch to italics
* When you reopen after a crash or reboot you are back at the beginning, and are forced to scroll to the place you were at
* When you do this, it crashes again because it can't handle the scrolling. Or as you are scrolling huge swaths of white appear instead of words, usually before a crash. A good workaround is naming your chapters and using the find function.
That all being said it is a great app because it offers such a clutter-free interface, and it allows you to move documents into dropbox easily. I would use it again, but I hope they fix the above problems at some point.
Good writing tool but...
Helps me focus on writing but falls short compared with other tools
Have following needs:
1) search text within a file and highlight matches with next/prev support (I have a long document and need to find matching words; would also help me start editing/writing where I'd like) plus find/replace
2) need a way to associate different chapters as a book
3) setting to allow order of file names by name - would also allow order of 'chapter 1', 'chapter 2'...
4) integrate with Fleksy, other keyboards and improve Bluetooth keyboard support
5) when opening, user option in settings to have cursor at same location when I last edited the doc.
6) settings for font type and color options per state (I don't use your workflow/states)
7) ePub and mobi exports
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Feb 21, 2015
- Version: 1.5
- Size: 15.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: iA Labs GmbH
- © 2014 iA Labs GmbH
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.