iA Writer Pro
By iA Labs GmbH
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
*Best of App Store 2014*
“Writer Pro maximizes the minimalist text editor” — The Verge
“Great design elegantly reduces cognitive load” — Michael Lopp
INNOVATIVE WRITING TECHNOLOGY
- Syntax Control™: Highlight superfluous adjectives and adverbs, find weak verbs, spot repetitive nouns and eliminate false conjunctions. English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish text only.
- Note - Write - Edit - Read: Workflow states to focus on the task at hand, each with the ideal typeface and color.
ESSENTIAL, EASY TO USE INTERFACE
- A Toolbar for quick access to iA Writer Pro’s tools
- Custom typefaces, carefully set for optimal readability
- No settings to distract
- Sentence Syntax Control fades all but the current sentence, for maximum concentration
- Convert formatting to Microsoft® Word .docx, and back again
- Also export formatting to HTML, RTF, and PDF
- Auto Markdown formats text on-screen
- Night Mode
- Formatted HTML preview
- Real-time iCloud sync
- Reading Time, plus sentence, word, and character count
- Ready for Retina displays
- Handoff support
- Full screen
1. iA Writer Pro avoids formatting settings. All you can do is write.
2. Currently only Latin alphabet languages plus Chinese, Japanese, Greek, and Russian are officially supported (no Vietnamese, Thai, Hebrew, Arabic etc. support… yet).
3. iA Writer Pro uses plain text files, such as .txt and .md, in “UTF-8” encoding.
TALK TO US
- Visit ia.net/writer/mac for more information
- Visit ia.net/writer/support for support and feedback
- Let us know what you think on Twitter @iAWriter
We look forward to hearing from you…
— Information Architects Inc.
What's New in Version 1.5.2
- Improved behaviour of contextual menu for links
- Fixed Auto-Markdown of reference links in Task lists
- Fixed behaviour of hitting Enter on a selection
- Stability improvements
- Performance improvements
If you like iA Writer Pro, please leave a review or a rating. It helps a lot.
Let us know at ia.net/writer/support or on Twitter @iawriter
Good with room to grow
I love writing in this app. I tried the known few in its league, and this one stuck. The windows and formatting are excellent. I wish it were easier to copy plain text (switch to read view or open a preview). The workflow modes do not feel useful right now — they’re slight changes in formatting with the final one, “read," being essentially “preview.” There’s no real reason to use them. So, what would make this better? Perhaps if modes could be opened simultaneously, for comparison and adjustment, with changes carrying forward to the next-advanced mode if desired. But not backward, so you truly have opportunities to expand your draft from notes and then edit it. I don’t think note needs to be a full mode; I’d prefer it to be a smaller note pane (ideally simple to use with other documents/windows open) and/or comment system complimenting “write” and “edit,” while read/preview could be reduced to a single toggle on/off mode simple to test at any point. Overall, I think the modes have the potential to be unique, yet seamless, and I believe that would help this app deliver on its promise.
Well thought out application--worth every penny!
I'm a dedicated Scrivener user, but iA Writer Pro is what I use when I'm away from my desk and primary computer. With Scrivener continuously syncing to DropBox, it's easy to open existing .txt files and continue in iA Writer right where you left off, or freely edit earlier work. And of course you can create new files in iA that will be available in your DropBox when you're back on your main device. I'm halfway through my next book, the third in the series, and have used iA Writer Pro throughout the entire writing process. I'm especially thankful for the different Syntax modes which actually help when you can't seen to find the right adjective for the occasion. Sentence mode is another favorite feature, which makes the writing experience even more immersive and focused.
Great companion app to the Scrivener franchise...love it!
Really mature markdown text editor for writing
I prefer to write in plain text and have tried essentially all the markdown text editors on the market. This is my favorite. It is especially useful to me in the outline stage of writing, with really nice list formating and control. It has the “no preferences” approach to formating, which might trouble some (and prevented me from gettign this app for a while), but does a really great job of it. The font is gorgeous and the app uses really nice dynamic text-size scaling as you increase the window width. Also, a very active developer, with frequent updates. Not something to be taken lightly when condsidering the upadte cycle of many competing apps. If you haven’t tried it, it is well worth the money.