iA Writer Pro
By iA Labs GmbH
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
*Best of App Store 2014*
“Writer Pro maximizes the minimalist text editor” — The Verge
“Great design elegantly reduces cognitive load” — Michael Lopp
INNOVATIVE WRITING TECHNOLOGY
- Syntax Control™: Highlight superfluous adjectives and adverbs, find weak verbs, spot repetitive nouns and eliminate false conjunctions. English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish text only.
- Note - Write - Edit - Read: Workflow states to focus on the task at hand, each with the ideal typeface and color.
ESSENTIAL, EASY TO USE INTERFACE
- A Toolbar for quick access to iA Writer Pro’s tools
- Custom typefaces, carefully set for optimal readability
- No settings to distract
- Sentence Syntax Control fades all but the current sentence, for maximum concentration
- Convert formatting to Microsoft® Word .docx, and back again
- Also export formatting to HTML, RTF, and PDF
- Auto Markdown formats text on-screen
- Night Mode
- Formatted HTML preview
- Real-time iCloud sync
- Reading Time, plus sentence, word, and character count
- Ready for Retina displays
- Handoff support
- Full screen
1. iA Writer Pro avoids formatting settings. All you can do is write.
2. Currently only Latin alphabet languages plus Chinese, Japanese, Greek, and Russian are officially supported (no Vietnamese, Thai, Hebrew, Arabic etc. support… yet).
3. iA Writer Pro uses plain text files, such as .txt and .md, in “UTF-8” encoding.
TALK TO US
- Visit ia.net/writer/mac for more information
- Visit ia.net/writer/support for support and feedback
- Let us know what you think on Twitter @iAWriter
We look forward to hearing from you…
— Information Architects Inc.
What's New in Version 1.5.2
- Improved behaviour of contextual menu for links
- Fixed Auto-Markdown of reference links in Task lists
- Fixed behaviour of hitting Enter on a selection
- Stability improvements
- Performance improvements
If you like iA Writer Pro, please leave a review or a rating. It helps a lot.
Let us know at ia.net/writer/support or on Twitter @iawriter
Really mature markdown text editor for writing
I prefer to write in plain text and have tried essentially all the markdown text editors on the market. This is my favorite. It is especially useful to me in the outline stage of writing, with really nice list formating and control. It has the “no preferences” approach to formating, which might trouble some (and prevented me from gettign this app for a while), but does a really great job of it. The font is gorgeous and the app uses really nice dynamic text-size scaling as you increase the window width. Also, a very active developer, with frequent updates. Not something to be taken lightly when condsidering the upadte cycle of many competing apps. If you haven’t tried it, it is well worth the money.
I love it for taking notes
This app has the calmest interface. It’s so simple to write in. It’s my favorite app for taking notes during meetings. I then copy the text to Evernote or other programs, but this app is the best for writing. The words just come out! Highly recommended. I use it in concert with Ulysses.
A good, solid writing app.
iA Writer Pro is a good, solid writing app. It opens fast and it has a minimalist interface, both of which inspire you to just write.
I am not enamored of the built-in workflow (Note/Write/Edit/Read), as each workflow simply feels like a change of formatting. That said, it doesn’t get in my way, so I ignore it.
The night mode is easy on my eyes, and the syntax views are very useful. A bonus is the matching iPhone/iPad app.
The only missing feature is the ability to directly publish to a blog, like WordPress. This missing functionality keeps me in Desk or Byword. Hopefully, IA Writer will add that in a future version.