By iA Labs GmbH
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
“Beautiful and simple” ***** The Guardian
“Everything goes away except for the writing experience” ***** Stephen Fry
“Writer has out-innovated Apple” ***** Fast Company
Best of App Store 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015
# Unmatched Writing Experience
iA Writer is designed to provide the best digital writing experience: Keep your hands on the keyboard and your mind in the text.
# Embed Pictures, Tables and Nest Textfiles
Include images from Library in your documents (.png, .gif, .jpg)—images are uploaded to Medium and WordPress when sharing a draft. Include comma separated value files as tables in your documents (.csv), or create advanced tables using MultiMarkdown. Build a manuscript from several chapters, embed source code files as code blocks, or nest text files into each other.
Note: Embedding only works for files in the same folder (or subfolders) as the master file. You can’t embed files in a parallel or higher directory.
# Swipe Right to Library
iA Writer now comes with an integrated library for all your documents. With a swipe to the right you have easy access to all your texts in one place.
# Swipe Left to Preview
With synchronized scrolling Preview, iA Writer consciously separates form and content. It optimizes plain text writing while offering stellar formatted export—with world class typography.
# Focus Mode and Syntax Control
iA Writer is famous for offering a deeper focus on your text. Its unique tools improve your writing style by honing your concentration: One sentence at a time, or by highlighting different parts of speech.
# All Your Documents on All Your Devices
With seamless Dropbox and iCloud sync, iA Writer keeps your documents safe and at hand on whatever device you are using when inspiration strikes.
- Integrated document Library
- Synchronized scrolling Markdown Preview
- Beautiful Preview templates with curated fonts
- Add your own custom templates too
- Focus Mode fades all but the current sentence, for maximum concentration
- Convert formatting to Microsoft® Word .docx, and back again
- Also export formatting to HTML and beautifully styled PDF
- Share drafts to Medium and WordPress
- Auto Markdown formats text on-screen
- Night Mode
- Real-time iCloud and Dropbox sync
- Reading Time; plus sentence, word, and character count
- Customized for Retina displays
- Handoff support
- Full screen for total immersion in the text
- Visit ia.net/writer for more information
- Visit ia.net/writer/support for support and feedback
- Let us know what you think on Twitter @iAWriter
We look forward to hearing from you…
— Information Architects Inc.
What's New in Version 4.0.2
- Defined CSS files as to be processed as code
- Fixed an issue where preview scroll bar could be invisible with some templates
- Fixed Strikethough menu item functionality
- Switched to system popup menu indicators
- Improved performance and stability
This app was well worth the $10. I normally do not take the time to write app reviews. But, as a college student who found this software extremely useful, I feel like my input could help out a fellow student. As a tech major, I often have to produce a lot of computer jargon that can become hard to look at after long periods of time. I have been looking for something simple yet elegant enough to get the job done, something that will help my work flow. I have Microsoft Word, Evernote, TextEdit, and more but this beats them all when it comes to drafting text. Software like Word have an abundance of features and are better for final publication and other things (in my opinion). Software like Evernote are great for keeping notes and thoughts organized and accessible. This on the other hand has a simplistically designed GUI that helps you focus on writing without any uneeded distractions. The focus mode is great for getting in the zone and increasing productivity. The syntax and format features are also great for visualizing your construction and writing style. The text styles are easy on the eyes and visually pleasing. If you are looking for a simple word processing app without any extra BS, consider this an option. It is really doing the job for me and although everyone’s work flow is different, maybe it can do the job for you. Thank you to the developers, you’re all the real MVPs.
I started using the app on my iPad, liked much and bought it for Mac. On Mac it is even better.
Uncluttered and ergonomic interface makes it simple and feature-rich at the same time. Comfortable and pleasant to work with.