Chief Meteorologist Steve Udelson and Severe Weather Center 9 meteorologists have made the most accurate local weather app, “The WSOC-TV Weather App,” even better. Charlotte’s most powerful weather app includes the following:
Summary of Features:
- There is a new radar in the weather app that matches the radar found on other digital platforms and also includes future radar to provide you with a likely path and outlook of storms. The radar has 250 meter resolution, the highest available.
- New tracks - We added earthquakes and storm tracks as layers in the radar. Now you can track the location and magnitude of earthquakes as well for storms the speed, direction and type. Tap the “storm symbols” icon in the radar to see the list.
- Locally crafted forecasts. Select a location inside the Charlote market to see a local forecast created by WSOC-TV’s local weather experts. The app tells you which member of Severe Weather Center 9 crafted the local forecast. National applications that come pre-loaded on your phone don’t have local experts focused solely on getting the local forecast right every day.
- Push alerts are FREE for more than 25 alert types including everything from tornado warnings to winter storm warnings and tropical storm alert types.
- Now you can scroll through the home screen to access most of what you need or want on one tab.
- Place a location pin precisely where you want it for a specific address or any position on a map. When saving a location you can name it exactly how you want it.
- The app works with identical features on tablet and handset.
- Additional items added seasonally
The weather app also has these critical benefits and features:
- The radar zooms down to your neighborhood or zooms out to check radar anywhere in the country.
- The app provides Location-Based alerts. While many other apps offer alerts based on your county, This app supports a more precise type of alert issued for the most dangerous types of weather threats. More precision means you get alerts that matter to you, not false alarms.
- Current conditions, hourly and daily forecasts for any location you enter.
- High resolution satellite cloud imagery
- Ability to add and save locations
- A fully integrated GPS for current location awareness
- Additional items added seasonally
*Data and alerting available for the United States only.
Thank you for your feedback! We have enhanced our radar, moved the daily forecast up higher and made some modifications to the wording on the lower navigation menu to help you find critical content. Please keep the feedback coming and we'll keep working hard to improve our app for you!
Note: App versions prior to 4.7 will stop working on 5/1. Please update today!
Ratings and Reviews
Needs modernized and better information
Too difficult to navigate. Not all fats have forecast information. Forecast information provided on current and next day is limited and not helpful. There are better apps that you could use. I see this app used with other news stations in other cities and it’s just as useless with them. I find most other apps have tons of good information for every day up to 10 days and very detailed info on current and next day.
Disappointed in latest update
I used the video feature daily and now it’s no longer available. Very disappointed with this change. Also, the previous version seemed faster to access the hourly forecast. Now you have to open a completely separate page to get this feature. We used this app at work regularly to plan our jobs based on weather conditions and it was great. Now it’s just another app.
If it Ain’t Broke Don’t Fix it.
The old app worked great so why change it? The menu on this app is easy to navigate, but that is about all I can say about the new set-up. The contrast is lighter. Which makes it harder for persons with poor vision to read. I prefer a weather app without adds. The adds are very distracting. I appreciate the time and work that went into making the new app, but am asking that you consider making a few improvements that would help those of us with poor vision.
- Cox Media Group, Inc
- 86 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 Cox Media Group, Inc. and The Weather Company
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.