WunderStation – Weather from your neighborhood
By Weather Underground, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
We've taken weather data to the next level with WunderStation for iPad and iPad Pro. WunderStation brings you rapid-fire current conditions, forecasts, and historical weather data from any weather station in Weather Underground's network of over 180K+ personal weather stations. View, analyze, share and compare data from local personal weather stations with elegant, customizable graphs, infographics, animated wind direction, rainfall totals, and more! Whether you own a personal weather station or you just like to dive into the data, WunderStation is the app for you!
WunderStation allows you to customize how you view and analyze weather data. Add any station from our network to your list of stations to compare current and historical conditions. Drag, drop, add or delete content widgets from the dashboard to view the data that's most important to you. Expand individual widgets and toggle between an animated infographic view or a graph view, and add layers for additional measurements to compare trends over time. In addition to the standard weather measurements, WunderStation can also chart additional sensors (indoor temperature and humidity, UV index, and solar radiation).
About Weather Underground's Personal Weather Station (PWS) Network:
Our PWS network is comprised of over 140,000 individually-owned weather stations across the globe that send live weather conditions to us as often as every 2.5 seconds. Started in 2001, the Weather Underground PWS network was developed to address the growing need for our meteorologists to gain access to more granular data. The network allows us to access weather data from actual neighborhoods, not just from the closest airport. Our meteorologists spent over five years developing and testing this revolutionary forecasting system, which leverages the constant stream of neighborhood weather data that we receive from our community of dedicated personal weather station owners around the globe.
• View current conditions from any weather station including temperature, feels-like temperatures, wind speed and direction, wind gusts, humidity, dew point, pressure, rain accumulation and rate, and moon phase
• 10-day and hourly forecasts including temperature, feels like, dewpoint, pressure, humidity, chance of precipitation, cloud cover, wind speed and direction, sunrise and sunset
• Historical highs and lows for temperature, humidity, pressure, rain accumulation, rain rate, and dewpoint viewable by days, weeks, months, or years
• Sky conditions including sunrise, sunset, total hours of day, total hours of night, and moon phases
• Rainfall totals and rain rate, with ability to set your own water year
• Customizable graphs: overlay as many or as few measurements as you'd like and compare historical conditions
• Drag, drop, add or delete content widgets to create a customized experience according to your data preferences
• Animated wind direction, rainfall totals, and temperature
• Toggle between different viewing options: infographic or graph view
• View a map of over 180K+ weather stations in Weather Underground's network and save any station to your list
• Swipe right and left to view your saved stations
For PWS owners:
• Update your personal weather station's status to better serve others viewing your station's data
• Indoor temperature and humidity, solar radiation, and UV index widgets available for stations that have these extra sensors
What's New in Version 1.2.4
Subtleties enrich the clear interface
WunderStation is one of those apps that you'd think would be appealing to a certain audience—in this case, those of us who run sensor arrays and gather meteorological data. It is billed as a portable dashboard for your station. The tile-based modular interface allows a great degree of customization, and includes data that is sent to Weather Underground but not displayed anywhere on their site, such as the stream from an indoor temperature sensor. It allows some spot analysis, and is especially helpful if one is traveling and wants to check "in depth" on the health of a weather station.
All of this being true, it is also completely possible to use and enjoy this without running your own station. WunderStation includes a map-based selection tool to discover and favorite any station in the Wunderground network. Choose as many as you'd like, and take a peek into their data. The app makes this very easy, while preserving privacy for the local station owner.
This app has improved and stabilized tremendously over the 11 months I have used it. Highly recommended.
From a Meteorologist ...this is a great app!
While I like the Davis Instruments weather equipment, I've been disappointed at their options for getting weather to the Web. They have various paid options and the display is rather lacking.
Not only is this a nice interface, it is searchable on the iPad. I added my Davis Station to Weather Underground easily with a modification to the Weather Link interface that is available for Davis products and it just uploads data every 5 minutes. I can go back and look at archived data for my station and many others. ***Extemely*** dependable interface.
I have found remote stations on Weather Underground in places like the Baja that the Mexican Weather Service can't touch, no info nearby, with webcams on the Sea of Cortez, for example.
I have been a Meteorologist for 35+ years, and while this is home weather station data and has significant limitations compared to ASOS, it is useful for research/data analysis to compare and contrast. The huge advantage over ASOS is the density of citizen stations with Weather Underground. (The ASOS stations are high quality, high price stations mostly at airports.)
Weather Reports to Rely On
Living in Grand Island NY it's difficult to get a weather report accurate for the actual island rather than its surrounding areas of Niagara Falls or Buffalo. Because of the way the island is situated the weather here is not the same (and quite often no where near the same) as these other well reported areas. Being here almost 3 years, this is these reports from PWS on the island are the ONLY reports I can find specific to the island. We don't currently have our own PWS but are thankful for being able to view the data of others in this app.
- Category: Weather
- Updated: Aug 12, 2016
- Version: 1.2.4
- Size: 24.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Weather Underground, LLC
- Copyright © 2011-2015 Weather Underground LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.